High tide spots?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by daveypetey, Dec 26, 2012.

1. daveypetey

daveypetey Active Member

Media:
    I am wondering how many of you have found productive high tide spots for SRC's this time of year? Any specific features, patterns, or changes in tactics that you seem to have encountered as a commonality for these high water spots? I find that I often find myself with time to fish but my NOAA app shows high water. Any pointers, facts, or opinions are welcome. (Along with any PM's with more juicy info.) :D

2. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Depending on the beach, high tide generally equates to very little room for your backcast if fishing a single hander. In those instances, I turn my body and cast either parallel to or out at a slight angle from shore. You'll still catch fish and have enough room for your backcast.
    Not sure what the reason is, but I've always had good luck on solid white woolly buggers on super high tides.

3. RedFive

RedFive Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Most beaches I fish are productive during high tide and I've found myself preferring to fish them that way over the years, specifically high outgoing tides. However, I'm using a switch or a trout spey 90% of the time so back cast room isn't much of an issue. In terms of patterns, I don't have any specific high tide/low tide flies, but I do have seasonal patterns--the white WB Stonefish mentioned above or something similar to it is an example of what I'll fish this time of year, but I'll switch to a fry pattern in the spring.

Also spinning off of what Stonefish said, fishing parallel during highs (or just about any time, actually) can be very productive for cutthroat, especially if you have a good current going. The trout will lie a little closer to the beach and quartering downcurrent and letting your fly swing through a few "lanes" while you strip it isn't a bad way to cover the shoreline at high water.

Last, I will say that the high tide spots I fish aren't randomly picked out. They all have common features: 1) good slope--not too steep, not too shallow; just enough so that the fish feel comfortable at just about any stage which contributes to 2) good current--I use marabou a lot so good current keeps my fly lively even between strips. Current also helps me establish which way I'll cover a beach and betrays 3) structure or at least what I would consider productive structure--things that break the current and form seams/rips or otherwise break up the surface and could potentially corral prey. Pretty basic stuff that I'm sure you've heard/read before but still applies to high tide.

Hope that helps and good luck out there.

4. olyfish

olyfish New Member

Here in the South Sound I have found that the cutts will often be at the end of an inlet at High Tide. Perhaps they are following the current in, and then out again.

5. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

My popper seems to be even more effective during the first couple hours of the ebb, probably because the high water allows the predatory cutts to get in on their prey. I roll and haul quartering casts in the areas between trees. Long casts are not necessary.
    Leland.

Ed Call likes this.
  6. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Media:
    Up here on one of my local beaches there is a significant shelf that equates to a better fishery on a HIGH and then outgoing tide. I feel the reason for this is that the water here is generally fairly shallow with two big kelp beds just off the shelf. I find baitfish hide in the kelp during the low but as it floods and there is more water around it, they are more exposed to the salmon and move up onto the shelf and closer to shore with the higher water. This in turn causes the coho to come up onto the shelf during these highs to coral and bust bait.
    On the outgoing after the above mentioned high, I find the coho stage near the edge of the shelf and intercept the baitfish as the water recedes and becomes thinner, forcing them away from the shore and towards the kelp.

Maybe keep this in mind and see if this could maybe also be the case with your beaches. You might not have the kelp beds, but maybe cutties and rezzies are in a spot or position that allows them to intercept bait on a High-outgoing...

Just a though.

Jordan

7. rotato

rotato Active Member

Yeah I wish we had significant kelp beds in the south sound

8. daveypetey

daveypetey Active Member

Media:
    Thanks all! I'll be out most of tomorrow and will keep an eye out for anyone that has the day off.

9. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    I fish a beach with similar structure here on Whidbey Island. Along with a few other board members of this forum...

We fish a point of land that is also the end of a kelp bed. The kelp is at the edge of the shallows and this point sees very strong current. It seems to beach fish best on the flood of more moderate tides. If the tide is too high, where the kelp is sucked under, I have not had much success.

The boat works ok in these beds but you loose so many fish to the bull kelp.

Have you noticed productivity drops off during the very high tides? Do you look for specific tide height before fishing this beach?
    Thanks Jordan

10. Milt Roe

Milt Roe Member

Working a skiff along the shore at high tide is my favorite way to fish for cutthroat. Lots of structure to fish with logs, bulkheads, etc. that are not wet at other times. Bait is also forced into places where cutthroat can concentrate on them.

Ed Call likes this.
  11. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    I find that during spring and late summer high tide spots are great for trying dries, especially if the beach has lots of cover and is near a field or somewhere that holds hoppers. I like cutthroat candy as a saltwater dry fly, nice little deer hair body makes a good plop when it hits the water.

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Or Kayak!

13. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Media:
    The only time I find that productivity 'drops off' is that with so much more water on the shelf, the coho can be cruising around 'hunting' and you have to locate them. That is when a skiff or small boat comes in really handy. If you don't have one, you can do a lot of walking, or if you're like me some days, sitting on a log drinking beer waiting until you see signs...

Jeff Dodd likes this.