Hike-In Lake Report

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by TD, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Sunday afternoon I decided to get out of the house and stretch my legs out. Hiked into a lake up on the Mountain Loop out of Granite Fall and fished for a few hours. This lake sits at about 3,000 ft elevation. There were still some snow patches along the trail but they were not an issue. Lots of blow-downs still and negotiating around them with an inflated float tube was interesting. Normally, I use a light weight packbacking boat, but I wanted to try out the float tube for a change. I'm pretty certain that I'll be returning to the boat from now on. The lake was nearly completely clear of snow and ice. One small corner still had a bit of ice and snow. The outlet had accumulated some Snow Cones, but other than that the water was clear and COLD. Normally, I fish this lake in late July/August to escape summer heat. On those trips I usually find a handful of Brook Trout that are willing to play. This trip, however, was not productive. The lake seemed eerily sterile of fish. There were a few tan colored chronomids coming off in one quiet corner. It was nice to get out and hike in the woods again. Fun to be out on a mountain lake. When the sun came out it would feel down-right warm. When it went behind the clouds you were glad for the jacket you decided to stuff in at the last minute. A nice cold glass of Brown & Hairy from Skookums was a welcome treat when we returned to my truck at the end of the day.

Looking back at the outlet from the float tube.
    IMG_0952.JPG

Looking at the main inlet. A couple of weeks ago the entire end of this lake was still ice & snow.
    IMG_0953.JPG

2. Well thanks for the report. I am planning on going to leech this Saturday. Do you think its to early?
    Spencer

3. Depending on the depth of the lake, winter kill can be an issue...

4. Damn I wish I wasn't a lazy bastard and still had the gumption to hike into a lake. Day 1 of my weight loss starts today! Or at least next Monday

5. Not sure about Leech. I'd call the forest service and see if the gate is unlocked and what they can tell you about ice & snow.

6. We wondered about that too. It just seemed odd to not see any fish or rises. Normally you can always see 1 or 2 in the shallows or a rise here and there when evening comes on.

7. I drove up last week to attempt an alpine lake . The road still had plenty of snow on it. I am eager and itching to hike into some mnt lakes. I fish around Mt. Rainer and Adams and its gonna be a while before the handful of mnt lakes i fish are ready for a visitor. Thanks for the report, it gets my blood pumping just thinking about the hike, the lake and the scenery.