Hiking and Fishing?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Curtis, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Curtis

Curtis New Member

Media:
    I am looking for a easy to moderate hike that can be done this time of the year. I know there isnt much snow, so choices should be plenty. I am not looking for any secret lakes, just one that can be enjoyable to hike to, and be able to fish. I found a few on WDFW's website but cant for the life of me find out any sort of directions, as the roads seem to stop about 50 miles from the lakes.(too far for me!)
    PS This hike is what I am doing for fun with my fiance for my Bday, who is from Montana, and she is having a hard time figuring out why we cut down all of our trees, so somewhere where there arent clearcuts all over would be great!
    Thanks!
    Curtis

2. leifand

leifand Member

Curtis - how far do you want to hike? Is elevation gain an issue? I have a few places in mind but I could use more info on what you're looking for.

Also, if you tell me what lakes WDFW was sending you to, I could try to point you in the right direction.

- Leif

3. Curtis

Curtis New Member

Media:
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/outreach/fishing/highlake.htm
    I coulndt find any directions on maps for these though.
    I was using this website, I would like to go no farther north than I-90. Elevation gain, not that big of a deal, say no more that 3,000 feet in gain.

4. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

5. jackchinook

jackchinook Member

Media:
    Curtis,
    follow this link and get any of these books. They're divided out according to region within Washington's Cascades. Any Seattle area hiker should own all four or five of the local books (and keep them next to the toilet for inspiration!). They provide all of the directions, hike descriptions etc. to more great hikes than most of us could do in a lifetime. They usually don't have fish-specific information for lakes but most people would agree that's probably not a responsible thing to publish openly. Know that nearly every accessible alpine lake in the Cascades (with the exception of a few in national parks) has a good population of catchable trout. As a general rule, hikes in wilderness areas will not have logged out areas but you'll probably have to drive through areas of past or active logging.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...002-9146620-7126401?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Hope that helps...have fun.

6. Curtis

Curtis New Member

Media:
    Thanks for the responses. Jackchinook, I have read through a couple of those books and most of the alpine lakes they refer to are in the northern cascades. I live in the south sound and was looking towards more in the Mt. Rainier Natl Park area. I was considering Crystal Lake off of Hwy 410. It seems like a fairly moderate hike, and since I am pretty new to hiking, should probably stay on the beaten path. In my searches on the web, I noticed that Kent Lufkin did the web designs for wa hilakers. Well Done Kent!

7. leifand

leifand Member

Curtis - I sent you a PM.

8. gigharborflyfisher

gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Media:
    Home Page:
    I sent you a PM Curtis

9. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Albums:
    Curtis,

Check out the books by Dave Shorett, a local writer who has written several books on hiking/fishing the Cascades and Olympics. They are the best ones I've seen. Your local fly shop might have them in stock or I'm sure would be happy to order a copy for you. If not, Amazon carries his books. I'm sure one of these will point you in the right direction:

"Mt. Rainier & South Cascades Fishing Guide: Mt. Rainier National Park & South Cascades Lakes and Streams"
    by Dave Shorett, Dave Shorret (Paperback - April 1, 1998)

"Washington's Central Cascades Fishing Guide"
    by Dave Shorett (Paperback - September 1, 2001)

Have fun,

Sue

10. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    nothing more rewarding then hiking away from the crowds and catching some fish... Good luck

11. jackchinook

jackchinook Member

Media: