Hoh River Closure..

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by ScudCuddler, May 29, 2013.

1. ScudCuddler

ScudCuddler Board Member

Andrew Lawrence and Evan Burck like this.
  2. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Thanks for the post!

3. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Here's mine, just sent.

Dear Director Anderson,

As you are certainly aware, the current return of Chinook to the Hoh River is dangerously small. Nonetheless, recreational fishing allowing the use of bait and tribal pressure have not been curtailed to protect some chance of meeting escapement. Logical measures have been proposed, but no action has been taken beyond a symbolic move by the National Park, which still allows drift netting.

Please be bold enough to get the three governing bodies to agree to measures to protect this fragile resource. At least reduce days of allowable harvest, change sport regulations to selective gear rules, and propose monitoring the process through an enforcement office independent of the State, tribal and Federal entities that currently have oversight.

Best regards......

4. Shad

Shad Active Member

Message sent. I have next to no faith in Director Anderson to do the right thing, but at least they can't say I didn't try.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  5. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

Takes about 5 minutes. Write one, then lean on a few buddies to do the same.

Sir,
    I am writing this to urge you to come up with a management plan regarding the summer Chinook on the Hoh river. It is a run that has not made escapement five times in the past six years. The Park has closed their area, yet the state, and the tribe who are co-managers have done nothing in response to poor returns being forecast. Please go back to the table with the tribe, and work out a management plan before it's too late.
    Thank you for taking the time to read this.

6. The Duke

The Duke Been around

Done and done.

orangeradish likes this.
  7. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows The Thought Train

If anyone is interested in the root cause of this it is.....

The Sol Duc hatchery spring chinook plants

Without them straying into the lower Hoh, there would be zero reason to have fisheries. With harvestable hatchery fish straying into the river, the tribe can push for their 6% impact (approx. 50 wild fish) and the state pushes for their approx. 14 dead kings from hooking mortality.

Sean Beauchamp likes this.
  8. Jeff Sawyer

Jeff Sawyer Active Member

Don-- I plagerized a good bit (ok damn near all) of yours hope you don't mind.

Here's what I sent.

The current return of Chinook to the Hoh River is dangerously small. Nonetheless, recreational fishing allowing the use of bait and tribal pressure have not been curtailed to protect some chance of meeting escapement. Logical measures have been proposed, but no action has been taken beyond a symbolic move by the National Park, which still allows drift netting.

Please be bold enough to get the three governing bodies to agree to measures to protect this fragile resource. At least reduce days of allowable harvest, change sport regulations to selective gear rules, and propose monitoring the process through an enforcement office independent of the State, tribal and Federal entities that currently have oversight.

There may be political pressures that I’m unaware of; maybe that’s why it appears you’re doing nothing to protect this valuable resource. But I also know that even if the political winds change in the future it won’t mean much if the fish are gone. We need action NOW. How about you step up and be the guy that makes a difference?

I’m a sport fisherman; impose more restrictions on us! Impose selective gear rules. Get rid of the damn barbs and bait if nothing else.

Please negotiate with the tribes, see if we can pay them to take some days off the drift netting.

Please do something before it’s too late.

Thank you for your time.
    Jeff Sawyer

9. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Assignment complete. If only our steelhead and salmon had no commercial value...can you imagine the fisheries we'd still have.

10. Chris Bellows

Thanks to everyone who sent letters as regulations can be changed.

2014 will see no spring chinook season on the Hoh and the upper river will be open to those who want to GoPro gloat over the remaining salmon that never get caught up there in the summer.

Kudos to everyone who saw through the BS and fought to restore the fishing seasons that had zero impact on spring chinook and close the lower river bait fisheries that did. Kudos to WDFW for doing the right thing for native spring chinook on the Hoh.

The Duke likes this.
  11. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

12. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Can you imagine what would be in my garage if cars had no value?
    Can you imagine the size of my spread if real estate had no value?
    Can you imagine how full my grocery cart would be if food had no value?
    Can you imagine the clothes I would have if they weren't so expensive?

Can you imagine anything that doesn't have some kind of commercial value?

Everything has value - even the fantasy fisheries you are imagining would have commercial value.

PT and fredaevans like this.
  13. freestoneangler

Try hard not to be a dick head WW. You know full well the challenges our steelhead and salmon species face is largely driven by the price tag on their head.

fredaevans likes this.
  14. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Starting to smell good in here.
    popcorn.jpg

15. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Imagine if there were such a thing as the Tooth Fairy!

PT likes this.
  16. Chris Bellows

when a thread starts to make no sense my guess is that my ignore list is fully functioning.

PT and fredaevans like this.
  17. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Hey shithead...In all seriousness...Don't put words in my mouth. Can you show me a causal relationship between a salmon's commercial value and the loss of it's habitat? We built dams because salmon are valuable? That's news to me...I thought it was because we wanted power and irrigation/flood control!

People buy up river front lots because salmon have commercial value? Why do they do it in Utah, Arkansas, S. Dakota, etc?

I know this is your pet theory, so I'll play along for a minute. Just how would one go about removing "the commercial value" of salmon and steelhead but still have fisheries?

18. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

we could live in a government society, with complete control of the people by the government. where only the privileged could enjoy recreation and the commoners could toil for the benefit of of the state and the privileged. some where they tried that system and I read it didn't work,but as long as I'm in the ranks of the privileged I'd be willing to give it a try!

19. freestoneangler

Doing a little dumpster diving are you... this post is nearly a year old. What's the matter, nothing to occupy? WFC crapped all over your picnic? If you are saying that the commercial value steelhead and salmon have is not one of the primary challenges they face, you're wrong.

20. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Find a war to wage,this isn't helping the fish, the forum or your reputation,But that's just my uneducated opinion!