Hoh River Wild Steelhead Run Fails Again!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Bob Triggs, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +655 / 0
  2. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +468 / 1
    Of course not. The poor river needs a management plan. I'm no scientist but I'm quite sure it's difficult to successfully spawn when you swim into a gill net. Last spring on into June was brutal/disgusting to watch, reading the number 2,218 made my stomach drop. The state and tribe have got to work together end of story!
  3. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +648 / 0
    Take heart, the species is being "banked" and preserved in the Skagit. Lots of fish and no fishermen...sweeping federal regulations at work. Be careful what you wish for...closures are easy...getting them re-opened is nearly impossible...even when the feds agree with you.
  4. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +657 / 0
    The Hoh river wild steelhead have not failed.

It is the management of that resource that has failed!!!!

Curt
  5. sopflyfisher Active Member

Where the fish are located
    Ratings: +448 / 0
    we obviously need more nets and masses of side drifters catching wild fish four or five times. then throw in a heavy mass of random "fly" guides with bobbers and you get this. perhaps some more press about the river being the in place to fish would be sweet too. almost every time I've fished here I've wondered what the hell am i doing here. unfishable in my opinion in spring. not that i could give two rips about how anyone chooses to fish, but perhaps this river would benefit from a no fishing from a boat rule. I've watched people repeatedly pound spots day after day catching the same fish again and again. maybe some sanctuary water would benefit the fish some.
    xdog and bennysbuddy like this.
  6. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    Sad to see river after river just falling apart, and nothing gets done about it. I mean, it is very obvious that things are getting severely f*&%$ed out there, but there are no changes. Such a shame.
  7. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +468 / 1
    Anyone have any suggestions on who to contact (email) and have actual conversation with on a state employee level who has any sort of stake on the coastal rivers and particularly anyone who works directly with the hoh tribe(if such an individual exists)? I have some questions I'd like to aim at the right people. I promise no mean emails, all I want is to understand. Thanks
  8. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +692 / 0
    I'm sure the feds would be happy to manage the coastal rivers just like the puget sound rivers are managed, So enjoy the fishing while it lasts. Those of us that fished the Skagit /Sauk system years ago know first hand what going to happen..
    Bob Triggs likes this.
  9. Joe Goodfellow Active Member

DES moines wa
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    Lets think of the solution not the problem
  10. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,623 / 2
    This discussion has been going on for years. We do this thread at least three to four times a year on here. The consensus is that not much can be done with the current co-management system as it is.
    Fishee likes this.
  11. Rich Simms Active Member

Occupy Hearings!
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    image.jpg

Let's take proactive measures now before they close, but very few folks want to take on it on the chin and limit their opportunity for success.
    bennysbuddy likes this.
  12. hooknose New Member

artondale, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Self imposed c n r limits are a good start. Each of us can take it upon ourselves to regulate our behavior and our impact upon the fish. I limit myself to 2 per day and only spend a couple days a year on the hoh. After I release my 2nd fish, I'm done for the day... and happy. I have very little influence over the actions of others, but I can control what I do.
    sopflyfisher and Brett Angel like this.
  13. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    Escapement goal was 2,400. The riun was 2,200+. Given standard deviation etc. I am betting the state feels like they hit the number right on.
    Let me check that a bit. The state isn't a person, so it doesn't feel. However, the argument could be made (and will be) that the stated goal was 2,400 fish spawning. The escapement came in within 5% of the goal or so (mental math). Anyone wishing for a continuation of the status quo would say that it was a nearly perfectly managed year.

The problem is the goal. The goal of management is the problem here.

C&R sportfishing is not the problem. No limits upon C&R sportfishing will help the fish one iota. The only change to help the Hoh fish is a change in the stated and actual goal of management.

Well that and some kick ass ocean survival rates.

Go Red Sox,
    cds
  14. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +692 / 0
    I'm pretty sure the native americans aren't going to stop netting the Hoh, It's been over seven years since I have fished that river. maybe its time for others to be apart of the solution & go fish somewhere else.
    Blake Harmon likes this.
  15. Mike Danahy @#)$%# river otters!

around
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Not managing for a minimum number of fish would be ideal. I'd still like to see a no fishing from boats type regulation. Have there been any studies on the number of fishermen on that river? I stopped fishing over there five years ago, due to the netting and the overcrowding. I felt that the fish didn't stand a chance, even if every fisherman out there did everything perfectly. I may not be a part of a solution, but at least I'm not part of the problem any more.
  16. troutdopemagic Active Member

Lake Stevens, Washington
    Ratings: +134 / 0
    the Hoh is the first place I ever caught a steelhead on a two hander and swung fly so it always will hold a special place to me for that. It's one of my favorite rivers ever but with the escapement problems, I may for the first year in a while not fish it because if were being honest is makes me feel guilty. Not to mention the crowds can be....irritating. I wish I could comment on the best solution, but I'm not well versed enough in tribal fishing rights to comment without sounding like a retard.
  17. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +655 / 0

I hear you Curt. And of course I do agree with you. I will add that we conservationist anglers have failed the wild steelhead too.
  18. Cruik Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +141 / 0
    Sorry, but why do we care so much about the Hoh? There's a lot of rivers in the state with steelhead. Some under escapement, some over. Why is the Hoh such a big deal? I'm not trying to be combative or anything, just genuinely curious why we see certain rivers as more important than the rest. Because it's accessible, publicized, and has swingable runs?
    Bob Triggs likes this.
  19. Fishee Member

seattle
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Yep, i agree.
  20. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +648 / 0
    Steelhead fishing is dying the death of a thousand cuts...Do a little research and you'll find your answer.