Hoh River Wild Steelhead Run Fails Again!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Bob Triggs, Oct 2, 2013.

1. FinLuver Active Member

Mid-Willamette Valley
    Ratings: +80 / 0
    and the reason why the masses don't give a rip.
    ...and you have some "truthful" science to back up that comment? :)

Look around....is the battle progressing in the direction for the good of the fish in a timely manner??

If it were, there wouldn't be the amount of posts on the "subject" on forums like this.

Kinda hard to argue with that "science"...and it's the "truth".

'nuff said :cool:
  2. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +652 / 1
    You talk about studies and science and facts. And when questioned you come back with "look around" and " 'nuff said". I'm guessing you have an opinion about stuff and possibly you heard something somewhere that resonates as the direction you'd like to see fisheries management taken. But, all you seem to have is generalities and the occasional attempt at a one liner.

Just an observation from the cheap seats.
  3. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +371 / 0
    Thank you for putting into words what I've been thinking for some time

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
  4. John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Olympia
    Ratings: +150 / 1
    Well, I cannot speak for "timely manor" but in my own experiences, yes the issue is getting out to the public. Look as the decrease in offerings of wild steelhead on menus and in stores. People that I talk to are more and more educated on the issue. I do not have to start at zero very often with the discussion. Many times the conversation is just an opportunity for them to ask questions. I would like to see the arguement sink in a little faster, but any speed is better than no speed. Again, if we do not advocate for them, who will?
    Jason Rolfe likes this.
  5. John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Olympia
    Ratings: +150 / 1
    I had a very timely discussion with a friend of mine from the East coast today. He is an avid steelheader, and very conscious of his angling ethic. He asked me what "escapement" ment. I was taken back by this inquiry as I just assumed anyone in the fly fishing community would know this term. Well, I was wrong, and I spent the next 5 minutes explaining escapement to him.
  6. FinLuver Active Member

Mid-Willamette Valley
    Ratings: +80 / 0
    Life is one big experiment...get out of the cheap seats...;)
  7. Evan Virnoche Outerspeyz Fly-style

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +492 / 0
  8. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +652 / 1
    Another gem. 'nuff said.
    FinLuver likes this.
  9. 1morecast Active Member

Port Angeles
    Ratings: +38 / 0
    This is exactly the point I am trying to make. Don't get me wrong I am a steel header. I love to swing a fly( my choice not trying to start another technique battle) for chrome as much if not more then the next guy.
    Yet I find that I am having a hard time fishing a river where the number of fish returning are shrinking, and the number of people who want a fish is growing. BTW I have not been out on the Hoh since October. Hell I use to fish out there 2-3 days a week.

If you like check out this data from WDFW, check out the number of anglers in 03-04 up to 13-14. This poor girhttp://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/creel/steelhead/2003archive.htmll is being loved to death.