HOH Steelhead...Seattle Times

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by sportsman, Mar 8, 2009.

1. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

FYI: sports page, page 10. Full article and picture of the fish and angler, who is awaiting confirmation from IFGA on world record for 8kg tippet, possibly all tippet classes. Not trying to reflame the original post [which almost crashed Chris's new server] just passing it along.

2. Bob Balder

Bob Balder Willing to learn anything...

WE are on the same page, literally, I just posted this afteer finding nothing on it here.
    Wow, hell of catch.

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

In American terms, what size is an 8kg tippet??????????????????

Jim

4. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

2.2 lbs=1kg...rounded off! Jim, Americans are learning the metric system one inch at a time!

5. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Going for the 18 pound test record. I don't even swing for kings for kings with 18 pound test!

6. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

yeah 12# maxima for kings here too, but I do use 0x seaguar which is like 17# for winter steelhead..

7. Ringlee

No one else going to comment on the Seattle times site? Come on!

8. SteelieD

SteelieD Non Member

Are you trying to start another 14 page thread Ringlee?;)

Hoh steelie

9. Ringlee

The more people that actually understand why this is a bad thing to be
    Bonking 30 pound steelhead that better. Trying to get outside the Fly Fishing Community and share information with the Non Fishing community.
    The Seattle Times is a good place to Start!

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

He said it was bleeding. I would of kept it also. Throwing it back it would only die and still not put anything into the gene pool. It would of only been feed for the small and scrap fish.

Jim

11. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

fgdfgdfg

12. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

Jim,

Sometimes fish that have been extremely stress (eg from a long fight) will bleed some from the gills. However if you look at the photo the fish was hooked in the top of the mouth and therefore the gills were not damaged by the hook. In all likelihood it would have recovered and survived to spawn. Besides, if you kill a fish it is 100% guaranteed not to spawn

13. Josh

Josh dead in the water

I was just happy to see that the times article addressed the fact that many fishermen were going to think badly of the guy for killing the fish and why they would do so. No matter what we think of it here, what he did was perfectly legal under our current regulations. So I think it was nice to see the "don't kill any wild fish" side acknowledged even if just for a few sentences.

14. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

What's unfortunate is the number of anglers that will now be plying the water of the Hoh in search of the next Moby Dick. In one of Jeff Brazda's recent reports he said he had never seen so many fishermen over there in all his year's of guiding.

15. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

its amazing how a fish starts to bleed once you rip its gills...

16. shawn k

shawn k Member

Why don't all of you guys that are going to the Hoh Down sing kumbaya and have a funeral for the god damn fish. yeah it sucks he killed it but give me a break it was legal to kill it. If you guys spent half as much energy trying to get the regs changed as you have been bitching about a dead fish maybe something might change.

17. There are lots of people trying to do something about it: http://wildsteelheadcoalition.org/

18. Milt Roe

Milt Roe Member

I would not have bonked it, but ....People need to remember that the genes of that fish are still out there in the broader Hoh wild steelhead population. People act like killing that fish will mean no more 30lb-ers. Killing a 12 lb wild fish that may have not yet expressed those big fish tendencies in her progeny may have the same impact. Again, I would not have killed it, but I'm weary of reading about this as if it means that killing this one fish means the end of large fish on the Hoh. We need to maintain these populations and their diversity, not select for the individual exceptional fish.

By the way, people who chase line-class records are equally jack-knob-minded IMO. I've broken a few of those myself without claiming them. This kind of crap just encourages the killing of fish for the glory hog mentality. Hey - Look at me, I caught a 2 lb sculpin on a 1 lb tippet. Good grief...

19. mrgando

mrgando Member

I agree, the fish should have been released, the genes of that steelie where golden.

20. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

45 min fight on a 20lb test. The guy is full of shit, if nothing else he's at least a lier