Holding Your Rod In Your Teeth, Etc., For Photos.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Breck, Aug 12, 2013.

1. GAT

GAT Active Member

Breck, look at the cover of just about any issue of Fly Fisherman and that will give you a good idea of what makes a "hero shot". It's what those in the biz call the fish with angler photo.

For awhile, the proper pose was to hold the fish above the water and look at the fish instead of the camera. I see that they've now gone back to the angler looking at the camera. In any case, sun glasses must be removed, the rod or reel or some part of it must be in the shot so you know the fish was caught with fly gear.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Figures... I just checked a recent cover for FFM and I see that this one has the angler looking at the fish... evidently you can go either way. Brian O'keefe normally shoots his hero shots with the angler looking at the fish.

"Hero Shot"

[​IMG]

2. Breck

Breck Active Member

OK. So, my question now is, who gives a shit? Most people I know that want to have their picture taken do so because they want to preserve a particular moment or event. Not looking at the camera just to ease the feelbads of pious elitist snobs suffering from butthurt is laughable to me. I couldn't care less about what the "proper pose" is.

It's attitudes like this that add fuel to the flames of the perception that fly fishers are uptight elitist douchebags. "Look at the fish instead of the camera". Ridiculous. Maybe instead of requesting that folks remove the rod from their teeth, perhaps they should first remove the giant stick from their anus.

*Edited to add that I'm not singling out GAT by quoting his definition of the "hero pose". It's the definition in and of itself and whomever it was that decided what the "proper pose" should be, not anything to do with GAT. Don't shoot the messenger, right?

Jim Wallace and Mark Kraniger like this.
  3. ralfish

ralfish Active Member

sometimes its the only place to keep the rod, otherwise it kind of a dork thing to do....imho

Lugan likes this.
  4. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Are you sure it is the elitists who are "butthurt" over this?

Jason Rolfe likes this.
  5. Breck

Breck Active Member

Yep. Pretty sure.

Some folks just like to argue, I guess. Are you saying that you actually support these sanctimonious attitudes?

6. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Personally, I find placing a fishing pole in one's mouth, taking a picture of the event, and posting it on the internet to be very funny. I don't believe it makes me elitist, sanctimonious or butthurt.

Seriously, if you can't laugh at a guy with a fishing pole in his mouth, you really need to lighten up.

Evan Burck likes this.
  7. Breck

Breck Active Member

Laughing at it is one thing. Deriding a fellow angler for an "improper" pose in a picture that offends your delicate sensibilities is another.

8. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

This topic is as hair-splittingly ridiculous as topics in the past like traditional spey casters hating on Skagit-style casters here on WFF, or a thread I remember on Clark's bamboo rod forum where one group of OCD guys got really bent out of shape that a few others would present their dry flies downstream to a fish rather than upstream. Fun stuff.

9. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Maybe taking pictures at all is snobbish and sanctimonious. After all, what purpose do the photos serve besides showing off to friends, family, and the interwebz?

Sg

Matt Baerwalde and David Dalan like this.
  10. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

I was always under the impression that one man should not tell or care how another man holds his rod.

11. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

I keep searching for these elitist fly guys who are holding down the common man. I won't quit until I find them and defeat them. But I need to find them first.

zen leecher aka bill w and Lugan like this.
  12. fish-on

fish-on Waters haunt me....

This..

Daaaaayyyymmm, so I guess my avatar is out of the question ;) ..... Sandy beach + splashing waves + fly reel = bad combination... Gotta do what you gotta do.

Tight lines

John

Ed Call likes this.
  13. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

I just don't let other men hold my rod. I'm just not into the whole Brokeback lifestyle. (Not that there's anything wrong with that).

14. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

go to your local proctologist as they seem to be butthurt... although you might find those complaining about elitists there instead.

Nick Clayton likes this.
  15. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

The question that needs to be asked here is........"Would you let your daughter marry a cork biter"?

16. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Or conversely, would you let your son marry a cork-biting girl? It's a different kind of risk, but worth mentioning.

Gary Knowels likes this.
  17. GAT

GAT Active Member

Good point.

18. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Believe it or not there is a national listing service for elitist fly guys or ERG's also known as snooty tweeds. Just imagine what you could do with a list like this.
    It is available to anyone but there is a subscription fee. Send me fifty bucks and I will see what I can do about either placing you on the list or having the updated list sent to your home. Postage is free.

TC

19. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

It's been beat to death, but putting a rod in your mouth makes you a corksucker... and look foolish to boot. I won't put my reel in the sand, but if I want a pic, there's always better options. Across the knees, or like the cover photo, tucked under the arm, tip behind you. I think they only make these rules in photo contests to save participants a little face. Alot of people see photos put on the internet.

20. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Bless me Father, for I have sinned. I did it once. Who cares.....:eek: :rolleyes:

cabezon and constructeur like this.