Hole in the Waders

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by wyo_guy, Sep 25, 2002.

1. wyo_guy

wyo_guy New Member

I put a BB sized hole in my Cabelas Dry-Plus waders. I have the repair kit, but the adhesive strips aren't so adhesive anymore. Have any of you used super-glue or some other liquid adhesive to bond a patch over a hole?

2. jditto

jditto New Member

aquaseal is your best friend! you should be able to get it at any outdoor store or maybe fishing stores. i used it to patch a 2 inch rip in my sims goretex waders and have had no problem. just dry them really well, put a piece of duct tape on the outside, a dolop of aquaseal on the inside,keep it level, and let it dry overnight. peel the tape off and you are good to go. you might let it dry for longer if the humidity is high.

3. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Media:
    Home Page:
    Guy, I would agree with the aquaseal idea, except I would use a small patch if the area will take it. Make a small patch, round and the size of a quarter coin, and then do the aquaseal thing with the tape on the outside etc. Slower drying yields a more pliable repair, more flexible and lasts longer, sticks better to the fabric. If you use the Cotol accelerator it will dry fast and hard and won't stick as well to the fabric.Use minimal amounts of aquaseal- just enough so no big smears or gobs. I prep the area with some rubbing alcohol first and let it evaporate before using the goo.Better bond.Good luck.

4. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    I'm a big fan of the Loon stuff that dries in seconds in sunlight. I used to use Aquaseal, but it takes a lot longer to dry.

5. wyo_guy

wyo_guy New Member

How long are you talking here? Hours? Days? Weeks?

Tim

6. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    If I remember right, Aquaseal recommends 24 hours. Like Stone said, I would advise against the Cotol accelerator as it makes the material too hard.

I haven't had any trouble with brittleness in the patches I've used the Loon sun-cure for on my neoprenes, and luckily haven't had to patch my breathables yet. One thing - remember to put it on in the shade.