Holy Carp! A fishing report...

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Brad Niemeyer, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Brad Niemeyer

Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Granted carp fishing is not for everyone...But for those of you who haven't seen your backing for a while (and would like to) Carp can be a great test of skill, patience and stamina...

The attached .Jpg should give you some idea of my carp fishing adventure friday...

IMHO...Sight casting to tailing carp is the next best thing to casting dry flies to steady rising trout...

-Piscean:)

2. worldanglr

worldanglr Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Nice fish!

worldanglr
    http://www.worldanglr.com/

Calling Fly Fishing a hobby is like calling Brain Surgery a job.
    -Paul Schullery

3. Tightline

Tightline Brian Perry

Media:
    AWESOME! There are two types of Fly Fisherman. Those who love fishing for carp, and those who never have! :thumb

Nice fish!

4. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Reminds me of sight fishing for tailing red fish in the texas gulf areas. The water is brownish in both places and the fish look pretty similar and fight very well... (But I bet red fish\drum taste better)

5. Brad Niemeyer

Media:
    Home Page:
    ChadK:

I have never fished for redfish (or bonefish) but it sounds very similar. I was shakin' in my hipwaders when I parted the reeds to reveal miles of large tailing carp in 16 inches of water! A good trout fisherman can easily adapt...

...and I should warn folks not to eat carp. These fish live a long time (10 -15 years) and can accumulate high levels of heavy metal and pesticide toxins.

-Piscean

6. Big Ben

Big Ben Guest

Sweet Pic Piscean. A few years ago my wife and I were at Banks Lake (I think) and there were just hundreds of carp in the shallows, you could here them in the grass. That was before my fly days though.

7. Jay Allyn

Jay Allyn The Poor-Student Fly Fisher

Media:
    What type of flies or used for carp around here? I assume they are easy to tye.

Jay:dunno

8. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

There are only two types of fly fishermen: the carpers and the non-carpers. Color me a non-carper, and pith on the rest of you guys.
    Bab}(
    And I thought I would never live to see the day when a dude was actually secretive about his carp hole. I should think, in the interest of conservation, you would broadcast the spot to everyone in order to clean up the area a bit so sporting fish might have a chance.
    Maybe we should have a new web site for you guys, named:
    Carpers Anonymous or Carps Are Us, or Why We Hate Our Mothers. Whatever.:beer1

9. wet line

wet line New Member

Golly Gee Whiz Bob,
    Just a bit cynical tonight.
    Well I am with you about the goldfish that should be irradicated. I litterally hate carp for too many reasons to mention. As far as I am concerned catch them and feed the coyotes. Or take them home and feast on them. But get rid of them!
    Some people would praise pirranahs for their fighting ability if they were in our waters!
    Just because they are there doesn't make it good nor natural! They are not good fish to have in our waters.
    Dave :beer2

10. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    And the brown trout! Brookies too!;)

11. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Bob-a-san...

...when did you develop the lisp???

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

12. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Presentation...

...is everything. Both in fishing for carp and putting a fine collage of photo's together for our viewing pleasure, Thanks!

Roper,

13. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

Alleged speech defects.

Roper: The lisp is not an affectation as you might think.
    It's a carefully designed ruse to throw off small children from having to endure the foul mouth of an old man, and an attempt to keep the forum, "Family Oreinted,"
    while at the same time preserving the right to freedom of expression. Henceforth, I am going to try to use the names of vegetables in place of the obcenities I usually prefer.
    But thanks for the interest in my health or my sexual orientation, whichever may apply.
    Bob-a-san:eek

14. gbhstrat

gbhstrat New Member

I use to Duck hunt over in the potholes area. I have seen some very large carp over there. I know one guy at work who goes over to the potholes with a bow and arrow and shoots Carp from a boat. He says it's real challenging.

15. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Alleged speech defects.

As usual, you got me pithing my panths...

:rofl :rofl :rofl
    Roper,

16. Brad Niemeyer

Media:
    Home Page:
    Dear BobLawless:

It seems carp bring out a person's true colors...My intuition told me you were a closed minded cynic but now I have proof in writing...

As I said in my original post "Carp are not for everyone..."

They are not for folks who care about what others think of them...

They are not for quasi-religious self righteous trout purists

They are not for those who believe that the environment can be purified of invasive foreign species ( see brown trout , brook trout , bass)

They are not for folks who prefer to judge rather than experience things for themselves

Carp are here to stay...get used to it...

-Piscean:hmmm

17. Salmon Candy

Salmon Candy Member

Shooting an unarmed carp is challenging? Now, if the carp was armed as well, that could be challenging. Pretty dang hard to practice catch (kill) and release, don't you think.

18. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    What's challenging is sneaking up on huge wary carp. Granted during certain times of the year they let their guard down a little, but I bet after you nail one of them the school around them dissapears...

Then you have to hit a target that is submerged, moving, and a good distance away (not always).

Once you hit one, you have to hope your arrow holds in the flesh as you try to pull in a 25lb hog of a gold fish.

But the hardest part is figureing out what the heck to do with a dead carp. Too bad the state doesn't put a bounty on them like they do for squaw fish (nothern pike minnows). Then I'd be out there with my bow. Or maybe dynamite!!

OK - so that was mostly all tongue and cheek - but I think the point is that carp are hardly endangered and generally unwelcome in most sport fishing waters. A lot of lakes with carp populations would be a lot less muddy looking if the carp weren't in there rooting up the bottom like a bunch of hogs in a pig pen. Grass carp that are intentionally planted to help control weeds are OK if they are doing their job well... My 2cents

19. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Alleged speech defects.

I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

From now on when you say "old man" please do it with a smile. I don't like my handle used in vain :p :p :p :p :+

Jim

20. Luv2flyfish

Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

you can always tell a peice of water that has a bunch of crap or carp I mean becuase the water is always murky. Carp destroy good trout fisheries. Plain and simple. I've watched miles of a river that I grew up fishing turn into a murky sludge pit completely void of trout - EVEN Brown trout!

There is no better way to spend a day that blasting arrows through big, fat, pre-spawn carp, bonking them and littering the banks! This is a Huge past time where I come from, especially from those of us that like our trout fishing. Not to mention its just down right fun!

Keep carp spots secret as there are some out there that would just love to pull out the fiberglass arrows, 180# Kevlar Line and pull out the old trusty hammer! ;) :thumb