Holy Carp! A fishing report...

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Brad Niemeyer, Jun 2, 2003.

1. gbhstrat

gbhstrat New Member

Here is a funny carp story. It was late October and my brother and I were duck hunting in the Potholes area. The ducks stopped flying and the day turned out to be a blue bird warm day. I am almost asleep and then BLAAAAAM....what the heck....I jump up and expect to see something in the air as my brother lets loose with his 12 gauge from his blind about 20 yards away. I shout over, where was the duck? My brother's response was, it was not a duck, it was a big carp and he has been rooting around the decoys over here. I finally got tired of him so I let loose. The carp survived because #6 shot will not penetrate water very far. I proceeded to bug my brother all day long about it being duck season and not carp season. He deserved it for waking me up like that. I got him back though. About an hour later a single mallard came flying into the decoys and this time it was my brother sleeping. I jumped up and BLAAM, one shot and I fold the mallard. The mallard is now on a trajectory right towards my brother. My brother wakes up and opens his eyes just in time to see the mallard heading right towards him. It missed him by about three feet. My response was, quit looking for carp and start looking for ducks!
    :beer2

2. Salmon Candy

Salmon Candy Member

My guess is you are confusing cause and effect with the results you see. My guess is the carp did not degrade the water quality to the point where trout no longer could survive. My guess is water quality declined, then carp moved in to fill the void-perhaps precipitously, most likely over time.

Seems there are two issues. First, is what can be done to preserve, protect, restore water quality so each fish species can survive in its existing habitat. (Notice I did not say "natural" habitat.) Second, consider valuing individual fish species as a resource. It seems that if all fisherfolk focus on the first issue, the second issue becomes easier for all.

If you want a prime example of the difference water quality makes in a fishery-look at the Yakima using Roza Dam as the dividing line. My suggestion is, instead of drawing the line between carpers and non-carpers-we, as fisherpeople,join together and devote joint efforts to cleaning up our water. Join a flyclub, join a conservation group, give back more to your sport than you take.

I'll step down off the soapbox now and go back to tying flies.

3. Brad Niemeyer

Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Salmon Candy:

Well said! As a fomer fisheries student (UW) I concur that water quality is the issue (not invasive species)

Carp are found in clear and cloudy waters...Sometimes they contribite to the turbidity of the water, sometimes they don't...

Having said that, I don't think I'll post any more carp reports on the site...It just stirs things up:rolleyes

-Piscean

4. PeteM

PeteM Member

Pssttt... you might want to have him read the regs. I'm pretty sure he'll find the section that says that arrows, spears, etc are illegal (unless there is a special exception for the lake/river he is on but I'm not aware of any).
    Pete

5. Tightline

Tightline Brian Perry

Media:
    We all better just... get used to it!
    CARP WILL BE THE ONLY FISH LEFT when its all said and done ;-) ... They are like SuPER(man) FISH FREAKS of nature. The big bad Cock-a-roaches of the h2o. We can dump petrol, fertilizer, piss, and anything else on them, and they will still grow big as bulls, know were you are before you do, and fight like Muhammad Ali if your lucky enough to catch one. ;-) Soon enough they will evolve to shoot arrows back at us.... :7

The superfish.
    the golden ghost.

;-) :thumb :smokin :beer2

LOL
    :)

6. Brad Niemeyer

Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    That made me laugh!

I will start tying up the cockroach patterns for the post apocalypse evening hatch...Meet you down by the fallout shelter septic trench @ 6pm...the radioactive carp are easy to spot when the sun goes down...no need for the polarized glasses.

-Piscean;)