Homemade tube fly vise

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Jerry Daschofsky, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Well, I sold off my old renzetti hoping to buy an HMH tube vise awhile ago (the actual pedestal vise, not the adapter). Well, when it rains it pours with me, and had to use the money for bills, etc. So had an idea on how to build a cheap one to get me by. Works pretty damned good actually. Will be ackward if you're tying long saltwater tubes, but would be managable.

What I did was ask for some dead drills. I disassembled them just to get the chuck (which are usually on a ball bearing shaft). Then, took a 1x1 for the verticle post and a 2x4 for the base. Drilled the hole in the verticle post just enough that the chuck would fit in tight by slowly twisting in. I bought some mandrals (cheap ones that is, only like $1 for them) to keep from crushing the smaller tubes. But works great, and a simple cheap fix for those not wanting to spend alot of money for one. Plus, keeps the tubes tight with no worry about bending a mandral.

[​IMG]

Don't laugh, works good. Had other plans to machine a base. But not into doing that much work for now. Serves it's purpose. I'll be buying the HMH soon. Cost me total around $3 for all the pieces to make it. Plus, you can find dead drills for free if you look around. Not the perfect setup. But something cheap to get you by. I just hate those adapters.

2. kjackson

kjackson Banned or Parked

That is a pretty slick solution...I may have to start the search for a dead drill.

Thanks,

Keith

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Think I still have an extra downstairs. Can't remember if I gave it to a friend who wanted to copy it or not. I'll go and check and will let you know tomorrow.

4. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    I probably have 10 drills ,but I can't find the live ones let alone the dead ones.

Thanks for this Jerry

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yeah, had a friend from back east bring up a point I had looked into. Smaller chucks, like those on a dremel. But hard to find those small ones dead. So I went with what was most accessible. But those smaller ones would be ideal. Do believe they have the cheap "dremel knockoffs" at harbor freight for a few bucks. Could possibly get one of those and strip apart. If it's under $15 and can work it, would be worth the work. Hmmmm, may have to take a run to harbor freight now. :rofl: