Homer and the Donut Hole

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by wadin' boot, Jul 2, 2013.

1. wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Wallingford, WA
    Ratings: +1,314 / 0
    So let's say you are fishing a well known urban river with a fly so delictable and fat that you tempt a rather large fish out of a trash filled logjam, we'll call that the donut hole. You let him go thrilled to have had the opportunity to tangle with such a beast.

You keep thinking about this fish and return some two weeks later with the same fly, to the same hole. You wait to let a brace of inner tubers to pass, and cast, some 60 seconds after they have floated over the hole, presumably scaring any and all fish, but no, the same fish gobbles the same fly and ends up being caught again after a solid fight.

So what was once wild and majestic now seems a little like Homer Simpson gobbling up a donut. Big, goofy, fun-ish, but not so majestic any more. I think I'll leave the Donut Hole alone for a while, water temps will be on the UP.

MMM time for sheet cake
    tythetier, GAT and triploidjunkie like this.
  2. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +532 / 0
    At least for another two weeks, anyway, until the jones gets to ya!;)
  3. Steve Unwin Active Member

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +75 / 0
    I remember reading once that after a trout is caught 5-6 times, it becomes much more wary and more difficult to catch. But considering how little we seem to know about the nervous systems of fish (pain? no pain?) I don't know if I really believe it.

Then again, every time I start thinking that the fish aren't very smart, they outsmart me.
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  4. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +276 / 1
    Yeah, you can PM me with the coordinates of your donut hole and we can alternate weeks. I won't tell a soul.;)
    dryflylarry, Danielocean and dfl like this.
  5. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +374 / 0
    Next time feed him some Farmers Union iced coffee and a Balfours frog cake.
  6. wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Wallingford, WA
    Terry I think the best way to feed this gluttonous, rotund, amiable troot is from a float, sucking down some Thos Coopers and Sons tossing out chunks of chico roll with radio birdman pumping "Aloha Steve and Danno" from some decrepid boombox ductaped up in a trash bag to its own unique inner tube.

The trash in the hole included a styrofoam cooler lid. Twice yesterday rolling empties were moving down the rocks underwater by my feet, a can outmigration or something that starts with the first of the 85 degree days. I did not see Mingo's thong, though I have seen it marking this territory before. He normally hangs it in a tree. Skid marks and all.

He's a sneaky bastard though, it's not the spot under the thong that's worth the cast, it's generally 40 -50 feet up or downstream, often on the opposite bank
    tythetier, Mingo, Chad Lewis and 2 others like this.
  7. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +532 / 0
    This really cracks me up. We don't have a "can outmigration" out this way in my tidal creeks. The cans travel alone or in small pods, and seem to want to just hang around in the marsh grass until spawning time.
    LOL! We get dudes trying to claim good runs by hangin' their skiddies over the river out here, too, :eek: but thats why I bring along my extendable pole pruner, long vinyl gloves, and some garbage bags. Then I hang mine up before I move on.:D
    tythetier and wadin' boot like this.
  8. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,121 / 0
    Reminds me of a LMB at a local slough that hung around a stump in the water. He'd always take a black popper... no other color. Time and time again.

I didn't mind. Sometimes you need an easy to make up for the skunked thing.
  9. nomlasder Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems

Burien.
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    He's a sneaky bastard though, it's not the spot under the thong that's worth the cast, it's generally 40 -50 feet up or downstream, often on the opposite bank

Wow, you can identify M thong? I guess I shouldn't ask, but can't resist.
  10. wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Wallingford, WA
    Yeah it could be wrong but like some kind of tropical and or baseball theme and sheer organizational skills are his hallmark, that and he puts his name on 'em. They look a little like this, only, as I said earlier, with skid marks and stuck in a tree. You start looking, you'll start seeing these things everywhere where the fishing's good, like the NSA put them there or something...

Slide1.JPG
    tythetier likes this.
  11. Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Happy Hour, WA
    Ratings: +354 / 1
    LOL.
  12. tythetier Fish Slayer

WASHOUGAL, WA
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    Lmao!! This stuff is what keeps me going at work!!

Yet to see the thong along the 'shoug. I did see a nice tan set of tata's though sunday while floating in tubes with a friend! First time along that river. I did see an older skinny dipper out on one of the Forlorn lakes though this year! Whats the deal?!?! Year of the buff or something??