Hood Canal Cutties on the TV

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by tinpusher, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Just watched Columbia Country on KSTW and they had a show on Cutthroat fishing in Hood Canal. I am pumped up and ready to drive back down there and give it another shot. ptyd

2. It's stuff like this that brings out the masses and ruins it for the few that already know about it. God, I hate shows like this.

Jim :(

3. Thanks for the note Tinpusher. Interesting though isn't it: I have been salivating about beach fishing SeaRuns and Coho in the many areas along the B.C. coastline, islands and in-land waterways, and the BC guys wanna come south. Grass always appears greener on the other side of the peace arch I guess, go figure.

4. South Puget sound has something not found up here. Endless miles of narrow sheltered channels with shallow gravel beaches. BC water is more exposed and suitable beaches are more spread out. There are no quality cutty beaches in the Vancouver area so that means an expensive ferry ride to Vancouver Island or Sechelt. I can be on Whidbey Island in 90 minutes with multiple beaches at my disposal. For a one or two day trip it is the obvious choice. For a longer trip I much prefer the above mentioned places in BC. Oldman you will not see the masses as there are so many places to fish down there and more importantly you cannot fill your freezer with searuns. Not to mention Searun flyfishers are a breed apart from most. Anyone of us can catch more and bigger trout in the lakes but something draws us to the salt. Salt Dog give me a pm when you are planning a trip up north and I will either join you or share what I know about your destination.

5. I watched this show, it wasn't really that revealing in terms of where the guys were fishing. I personally think the canal can afford more searun preasure. I never see anyone else out there fly fishing when I am. Maybe that's just me... :confused:

Don't get ime wrong, I don't want anyone fishing hood canal but me! :)

6. Thats exactly right. There is nothing better than being out on the canal early in the morning and having the feeling of being all alone. Some places i can fish and not see any buildings or people. Its a great feeling. :thumb:

7. Chances are this website puts more people on Hood Canal than that show ever will, LOL! It's on Sundays at 11 AM and I doubt most people have seen it. I saw one episode on the Clark Fork, got me pretty pumped up, but I've always wanted to fish the Clark Fork, and always end up on the Bitteroot and Rock Creek, which is fine!

8. I have been fising searuns with the fly in Hood Canal sense the late 60's, it hasn't changed all that much except that I actually see fewer fisherman now. It used to be very popular because the Canal had good runs of salmon that are now (except for the tribal hatchery fish) for the most part gone, I'm referring to silvers and kings. Hood Canal is very special and needs protection it is also the longest fjord in the western United States. With the introduction of state wide catch and release on native searun the pressure (mostly by locals) has decreased. Because of the vastness of the Canal you can still have that quality experience we as fly fisherman look for. You must however respect the people who live there, most are friendly and don't mind you fishing from there beach, but by far the best way to fish the canal is by boat. A boat allows you to fish and explore more beach that is typically not accessible and you don't trespass doing so.

That was I who hosted the show on the Canal (Columbia Country). I wanted to share with fellow fly fishers what I think is truly a very special place, including the fish that inhabit it, especially its prized searun.
    As you may have noticed I didn't divulge where we were on the Canal....exploring a fishery is what we as fly fishers enjoy and except as part of the challange of flyfishing.

"The sport of fly fishing can take you beyond the experience".
    DD

9. I thank you for not giving few details or locations, but I would rather not see any other fisherman on the canal. But that is me and I don't like to share.

10. Double-D,

That was a great show, very informative for me. I closely watched the way you stripped the fly, paid attention when you showed your baitfish patterns, and made a mental note to use a looped knot to give the flies better action, as you suggested. I taped the show for future reference the first time I saw it. I've seen it aired on Columbia Country three times this year already!

Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

And I could not figure out where you guys were on the canal, except I might someday recognize that piling you were fishing by. :rofl:

Jimbo

11. Thank you Jim!
    There is still a lot to be learned about our searuns, every trip is still a learning experience.
    Good Fishing

12. This probably warrants another thread but I will ask it here anyways. What is with beach ownership? It is unheard of in Canada, at most you can own to the high tide line. As long as I don't cross private property to get to the beach I can walk (and fish) below the high tide line from Alaska to White Rock. What is the law in Washington State?

13. This has been dicussed here many times. If you do a search on this subject you will come up with many answers.

Jim

14. Tinpusher, thanks for your generous offer. I'll be happy to take you up on it in the future. I don't have any immediate B.C. plans right now, mostly because fishing has been so great locally. :thumb:

There was a time when I fished only trout during the summer. Now I am blocking time on my calendar throughout every season of the year for any slot I can get away with. Life is good for a trout bum wannabe, but ohh so spendy.

15. Oldman I think I will fish out of my boat as your laws are too confususing.
    salt dog, I thought flyfishing would be an inexpensive hobby once I had all my equipment. Its been 25 years and I still don't seem to have everything I need. I cannot afford to be a trout bum anymore.:)

16. Two things:

From my perspective I can't imagine wanting to publicise my fishing. I love
    to share with my friends and enjoy their company very much, but to broadcast it on television for whatever reason is hard to understand. My fishing experience is better when there are fewer people around.

On the "Columbia Country" show, the co-host speaks of the things riding on the backs of the searuns as "limpets" like the ones you see stuck to rocks on the beach. I'm no expert, but I believe limpets are a type of snail. The parasites on local cutthroat are I think another type of copepod animal like our more familiar "sea lice"

James

17. they are sea lice

18. Cascade,
    you are correct, they are variety of sea lice, but look similar to a limpet form. It may have been edited to a point where it sounded like they were described as a limpet. The sea lice I was refering too is a phenomenon that I have observered over the last dozen years and seem to be in an epidemic form in Puget Sound, not all have these along there backs. I have seen this in northern puget sound but seems to be more prevalent in the Canal. Even though their backs are coverd at times it doesn't seem to have any effect on there health.
    As for showing a fishing trip on the Canal for searuns this will have no efffect to promoting fishing to crowds of people. The intent, although to a small extent was to indicate how important the Canal is to many aquatic resources particularly to fly fisherman, with upwards of several hundered miles of shoreline you will still have that solitude experience we are definitly not the majority.
    If you have been following the issues that have been plaguing the Canal (low oxygen levels). This an early indication of more problems to come. Primairly due to septic systems that were once designed for summer cabins are now used by full time residents. However, that is not a discussion for this thread.
    As Fly Fisherman, we tend to be more aware of our waters and their health we are also more inclined to get involved in conservation issues but without awareness, time will be our worst enemy.

19. Dear Double,

I thank you for your response and respect what you said. I too am concerned with the apparently changing chemistry in the Sound. Like many problems that are slow to evolve and less visable, it isn't getting the attention it needs. I have two sons and want to give them as wonderful a fishing environment as we have today.

James

20. I've caught cutts from the sound that had so many of those things on them the fish looked like armadillos.......really freaky looking. I tried to flick them off to give the fish a break from the parasites, but they were on there to stay! Man they looked weird all over the fish's back and sides like that....I've never caught a salmon that had those things, just the usual couple lice on the tail area........................