Hoodsport Area - SRC and Chum?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by cook, Oct 23, 2013.

1. cook

cook Member

I'll be down near Hoodsport, across the canal this weekend and plan to get on the water some. Mainly planning on cutthroat fishing but was wondering if I should bring along my 8wt for chum. I've never fished for Chum before--did a little research on old threads for flies,tactics, etc. Are there any reports of them showing up in this area yet? Do they cruise the beaches similar to silvers and pinks, or is it mainly an estuary game? Also, haven't checked the regs yet, but is it OK to target them in this area?

2. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Don't know if they are in yet at Hoodsport hatchery, but I have never fished there because of no elbow room…Someone else on here may know if they are there yet. My guess is a possible no, but probably with the next rains. In my experience it has been an estuary game. Slow retrieves. Haven't caught any just cruising along shorelines, but it happens, but I don't think often enough. If you find an estuary with other fly fishers, then they respect each others casting and it isn't as bad as it looks. Once you hook up, you'll be amazed at how much power they can exert. Set a stiff drag! I use an 8 wt. Most likely a floating line will be best in estuary situations. Watch for the "pods" moving and watch for the coming "nervous water". Chartruese flies work well, but others have their preferences, but it's always worked for me.

mtskibum16 likes this.
  3. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Not too much going on there yet, at least according to the WDFW creel reports from last weekend: http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/creel/puget/

But that may mean you'll be able to fish without knocking elbows with others, unlike later on.

4. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    I'm sure there are some in there, but likely not big numbers. I'm sure you can find some silvers down in that area though!

Oh, and Larry nailed it as far as how to target them so nothing more to say there really.

5. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    I forgot to mention...Bring your cutthroat rod and your coho setup! This is prime season for sea run cutthroat….best time of the year!

6. cook

cook Member

Thanks - and really happy to hear there may be a few silvers around! I think I have access to a small boat which will be fun and maybe give me some flexibility.

7. mr. bad example

mr. bad example Member

I was there last monday(I confess) and there were plenty o fish and not many fishermen.The Skokes net on tuesdays and thursdays and vacuum up everything.It ain't no wilderness experience but it is a great place to learn how to play strong fish and refine your conflict resolution skills.one last pointer, the later in the day as in the last hour before dark the better the fishing.

8. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
  9. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Thanks Stonefish. Table indicates 57 Chum and one Summer Chum so far into the Hoodsport hatchery.

I note that there were ten times as many Coho jacks as adults returned to the Satsop Springs hatchery so far. 2,152 jacks vs 219 adults.

10. mr. bad example

mr. bad example Member

when i was there the hatchery gates were closed....thousands of chum were manically schooling in the salt all dressed up with nowhere to go.

11. Cuttbow82

Cuttbow82 Active Member

A friend of my dad's, who lives on MA9, told him that he saw large salmon rolling on the surface in front of his house all day today. Chums heading to Hoodsport?

12. Cuttbow82

Cuttbow82 Active Member

sorry, hit reply instead of edit

13. Jered

Jered Active Member

"conflict resolution skills" Oh forget about fishing...this is something my wife, my therapist and my boss can all agree I should be working on!

14. ChaseBallard

ChaseBallard bushwhacker

I fish the Hoodsport area pretty regularly due to some family in Potlatch. And I'll be down there crabbing and fishing this weekend.

There are definitely going to be fish at the Hoodsport hatchery, if not the full chum run yet, and by this weekend I would guess there are going to be a good number of gear chuckers there too. Personally I can't handle the crowds and flossers at the hatchery anymore, but if you want to catch a chum it is possible to strip some flies there. My recommendation would be hit it on incoming tide just after tide change so there's some beach space, if you're willing to walk away from the outflow creek a bit you can find some room, most gear guys fish right at the creek mouth. Chartruse, Pink and Purple streamers / clousers will all catch fish if put in front of them.

If you have a boat or kayak, most of the little creeks on the canal have small runs of wild chum. A stealthy approach and presentation is key, as the fish will school up near the creek mouths and your best chance is going to be the first few casts.

These same little creek mouths are loaded with SRC, and I'm hoping to get into some this weekend. The mouth of Hill Creek near Hoodsport is a fantastic boat access spot, but for public access the Potlatch Boat Ramp Beach and Potlatch State Park are both solid options for the incoming tide. The tribal hatchery off H 101 a 1/4 mile before Potlatch State Park is also an option for Chums, Blackmouth or SRC.

The Skok from the 106 bridge is always a fish producer, but as others noted it can get pretty rowdy with crowds, snaggers and litter. I'm not saying it's not worth a shot, but not my cup of tea.

15. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    One thing to remember is there is a 100 yard radius closure at the tribal (Enetai) hatchery near Potlatch.
    Look up MA 12 regs for details.
    I've seen a number of folks get tickets there. Myself and another board member even saw a guy inside the chain link fence snagging chums.
    The look on his face when the warden showed up was priceless.
    SF

16. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    If you have never been to watch the
    zoo unfold it can be quite entertaining.
    All in pursuit of a burnt out shoe. But I
    will admit that catching chummies is fun.

Dave

17. cook

cook Member

Fished the east side across from Hoodsport this weekend--didn't get in to any salmon but the Cutthroat fishing was outstanding. Talked to one guy dropping nets--chum are starting to show up in greater numbers and he showed us an enormous silver. Had a good size chum swim about 2 feet from my legs while casting for cutthroat. It was my first time in that area and I hope to do it again. I'll probably avoid the crowds though. Thanks for all the pointers.

18. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I drove down the Canal on Hwy 101 yesterday and went thru Hoodsport just after noon. The Tribal netting was in full force (avoid Tuesdays and Thursdays for sure!!!) with a traffic jam of commercial boats working about a dozen nets directly out in front of, and surrounding the hatchery. There were countless other nets set every few hundred yards or so, all the way down to Potlatch. When I went by the boat launch (just N of Potlatch State Park), I did a quick estimate of over 50 rigs with large trailers...the parking lot was full.

The magnitude of the Tribal slaughter attempt going on is a bit depressing.

I did see a couple of sport anglers casting to rolling Chum from float tubes near Potlatch State Park. A couple of bankies were casting to the same school of Chum from the shore.

I kept driving as I was heading to a lake that I wanted to fish until dark. Fishing was slow, but I ended up hooking three good Rainbows (all strong fighters), the last a nice 16" or 17"er about 2 lbs (didn't measure it) that put out a huge fight on my med-action 4 wt. That trout did not want to give up, but I finally got it to the net. That made my day! Hooked it as I was returning to the launch, about 60' out in front of the ramp.

19. ChaseBallard

ChaseBallard bushwhacker

The two posts above pretty mirror my experience on the canal this weekend. Great SRC fishing all over (our place is near Potlatch) using black and olive Thin Mints on a light sink tip. Tried for some chums with my bigger stick and chartreuse baitfish patterns but no takes. Wish I'd come across a school! There where some SRCs rising near the Potlatch State Park when I cruised by though.

The nets were out in force all weekend, every few hundred yards up the western side of the canal like Jim mentioned. Saw a few chums swimming around though and the nets certainly had fish in them when they pulled them up, so Mr. Chumley is out there.

Crabbing was pretty slow too, only one big keeper all weekend. Though that will certainly vary based on your bait and where you put the pots.