Hook & Hackle IM7 or RX7

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Barry, May 26, 2008.

1. Barry

Barry Member

I'm looking at the Hook & Hackle Rainshadow IM6 and IM7 blanks. Does anyone know if these equate to the Rainshadow RX6 and RX7 blanks, or is the H & H Rainshadow a completely different animal?

2. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    I built the H&H IM6 rainshadow. It is the Batson rainshadow blank. The guide set they included is sized smaller than the guide sizes recommended on the Batson web site. Also, if you are doing a web order it can be difficult to tell if it is a 2 or 4 piece blank. May want to call them in person to place the order to avoid any confusion.

3. Banzai

Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

4. Barry

Barry Member

Thanks for the info / suggestions. I've been happy with previous experience ordering a G Loomis blank from H & H. They offer a good price on a complete blank, seat, handle, etc, that looks like an attractive way to save a few dollars. I just wasn't sure about the IM designation H & H uses rather than Batson's RX. I've also used J. Stockard for Rainshadow blanks including components with good luck. Both H & H and Stockard put together blank / component kits including nice quality Batson seats and handles with the Rainshadow blanks. That may not be as much fun as going through the options for each item but it helps keep the final product within my budget.

5. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

If you can stretch your budget a little bit, I think you would be $ and smiles ahead by getting the RX7+ and RX8+......The added carbon scrim and progressive taper put these rods in a whole different class for maybe $30 more per blank. I have a 5&8 RX8+ and a 7 RX7+. Esay to cast delicately, yet with the proggressive taper you can really load the rod deep and shoot a lot of line. Maybe they just match my casting style, but I'll be using them for years to come.

6. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:

Unfortunately they are a lot more than $30 per blank - more like $90-$100. If you do go with a Batson blank you get 20% off by getting through "Utmost enterprises" in Sequim - basically their outlet shop.

Rob