Hook Manufacturers

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by KDS, May 4, 2014.

1. KDS

KDS New Member

So I'm looking to replenish my hook collection and went on ebay to snoop around. I usually use Daiichi, but have used Tiemco and others in the past. I came across a guy selling no-name hooks, claiming they are made in the same factory and the "only difference is the name on the package". I'm familiar with manufacturing, having managed a couple of steel plants in a past life, and this actually sounds pretty logical to me. Any thoughts?

2. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    Sounds logical to me too. It's also logical that the hook companies who rely on their brand being high performance and defect free might have better quality control, and maybe higher specs/tolerances.

3. Teenage Entomologist

Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Media:
  4. ScottP

ScottP Active Member

I usually use Dai Riki hooks; price is good and quality has been pretty consistent for me. Bought some bargain hooks as well, from a number of vendors and had variable results, mostly deformed eyes and bad barbs like this one on the side; not too big a deal since I mash them all down, but makes for an odd looking fly

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Scott

triploidjunkie likes this.
  5. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Id suggest taking a good look at Allen hooks. A site sponsor and the hooks are very well received by quite a few tiers I know.

6. ScottP

ScottP Active Member

Nick,

This was from a pack of Allens

[​IMG]

I've had a number of other issues with their hooks and won't be buying from them again; just my experience.

Regards,
    Scott

7. silvercreek

silvercreek Active Member

8. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Likely from before we updated our process. If you want a pack of the new ones, shoot me a PM and I'll make it happen.

Brian Thomas likes this.
  9. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    My buddy just had a brand new Allen hook bend out from a pass lake rainbow which sucked. I bought some from them but am yet to fish them myself.

You can find pretty much any brand on eBay for real cheap if you don't mind buying in lots of 100. I'd go that route if you want a specific brand - - I'm not sure how much you'd save from buying the no name ones?

10. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

Hooks are one of the things that I always try and buy the best quality. Imagine stalking that 24" brute of a brown and getting that perfect cast and hookup only to loose him because you bought cheap hooks at the shop last week. I've had good numbers of breakoff's with Dai-Riki hooks and some other cheap brands, either when crimping the barb, on fish or snags or just having it come off for no apparent reason. Because of that I never buy Dai-Riki's and wouldn't reccomend them. I mainly fish Gamakatsu and Tiemco hooks and can't remember the last time I broke a hook.

PatrickH, Troutcreek and golfman44 like this.
  11. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    I like the steelhead irons I bought from allen, but my favorites are Tiemco 7989/7999 and the AJ hooks from Diachi. I'm cheap in a lot of ways, but not usually hooks.

Buy a pack of the low cost ones and take 'em for a text. Even better you can use your vice or a set of pliers to do some QC when you get them.

12. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

At my age & state of eye sight deterioration, all of my flies look "odd," lol. But they still catch the occasionally equally poor-sighted fish. I have no doubt that quality is better with some brand-name hooks, but I still use Mustad a lot & I'm happy with them. I do intend to try some Allen hooks one of these days. I've also considered tippet rings, but can't find any the size of basketball hoops . . .

13. chewydog

chewydog Active Member

ScottP, that sideways hook is obviously made for flounder and halibut. :)

14. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    ote="troutdopemagic, post: 931565, member: 20531"]Hooks are one of the things that I always try and buy the best quality. Imagine stalking that 24" brute of a brown and getting that perfect cast and hookup only to loose him because you bought cheap hooks at the shop last week. I've had good numbers of breakoff's with Dai-Riki hooks and some other cheap brands, either when crimping the barb, on fish or snags or just having it come off for no apparent reason. Because of that I never buy Dai-Riki's and wouldn't reccomend them. I mainly fish Gamakatsu and Tiemco hooks and can't remember the last time I broke a hook.[/quote]
    I've had the opposite experience. I've had many bad batches of Tiemco, zero with dai-riki or mustad.

Troutcreek likes this.
  15. Cold

Cold Member

I've had "mutants" in packs from nearly every hook maker, but all were within what I'd consider "acceptable" ranges.

Dai-riki do seem a bit more brittle than average, but I've never had an unacceptable level of breakage (basically, in an unrecoverable snag, you're either going to break tippet, bend hook or break hook, and in the situations where the hook gives, Dai-riki tends to break where a similar Mustad or TMC would bend...no better or worse imho, just different), and that's over a sample size of between 500-1000 flies on Dai-riki hooks. For the price, they compete.

16. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I like the side barb look,Makes the fly have a different action!

17. AllenFlyFishing

AllenFlyFishing Allen Fly Fishing

Home Page:
    Hi Scott,

Like Evan said, we have completely updated our hook manufacturing process over the course of the last 8 months. I can tell from the photo that the hook was from the old stock. I'd be more than happy to replace your hooks and discuss any additional issues you've had. Same goes for anyone else here with a similar experience. We guarantee all of our products, so when we find out about things like this, we try to set things right any way we can.

I can always be reached at info@allenflyfishing.com

Gary Knowels and plaegreid like this.
  18. bugboy9

bugboy9 Member

I love the Barbless Allen Hooks. Bought a bunch in the winter and I am very pleased. Extra sharp, thin, and strong. I did buy their old stock and they were bulky and fat last year, but I agree with them that they have updated their manufacturing process. Nice hooks.

19. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I know someone who was in the hook biz and yes indeed, there are a handful of large companies that produce hooks under numerous names.... they are built to the specs of those companies.

Daiichi makes hooks that are sold under many different names and the ones you're looking at could be in fact, Daiichi hooks made to order under another name. I know of one fly tying materials company that sells hooks under a different name than Daiichi but they are made by Daiichi.

The problem is, you don't know for sure what hook manufacturing company made the "generic" hooks so maybe they're Daiichi, maybe something else. Plus, they may be a little different in some respect that could be for the good or the bad.

If it was me, I'd buy some of the hooks and give them a try. Some large hook company somewhere is making them so I wouldn't be afraid to take a chance. If they work fine for you, save yourself some money and buy the hooks and not the logo. (that's exactly what I do when I buy my hooks that are not a name brand but made by a name brand company)

20. weiliwen

weiliwen Active Member

Media:
    I used to see barbless hooks with a little squiggle near the business end. Are these still made?