Hook Manufacturers

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by KDS, May 4, 2014.

1. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

The hooks you describe are Mustad 3257B barbless. I do not believe they are still in production. I haven't seen any for sale in decades. They were more expensive than a typical hook and it's much easier to simply squash down the barb on a conventional hook than pay more for specific design so I don't think the product was well received.

IMG_1132.jpg

2. Troutcreek

Troutcreek Active Member

Media:
    When I was getting started fly tying a experienced tier told me to buy top quality Japanese hooks. He wasn’t too specific about the brand but his advise stuck. When you think about it, it’s not an item where you want to be frugal.
    I’ve pretty much settled on Daiichi as a good cross between cost and quality, but the Japanese made TMC are great along with Gamakatsu’s and Maruto. Since I buy hooks in bulk I’m uncomfortable buying from a no name company. Maybe they are good, maybe not and there is no guarantee the next batch will be consistent.
    I varied from the path for a while and tried the big name Korean made hooks. I had a couple disappointing failures and learned my lesson.
    What I’m looking for in hooks is value and I wouldn’t take the chance on a no name company. I would consider Japanese hooks imported by a reputable company (The Fly Company comes to mind). I’ve never used them and have no affiliation but a brick and mortar business will hear from disappointed customers if they import junk.
    Good luck,

TC

3. Teenage Entomologist

Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Media:

I've only used The Fly Shop's hooks, and I give them a 9/10 rating; they're great to tie with, don't break, and I catch fish on them, and they have many many different styles of hooks, including black finished Classic Atlantic Salmon Fly hooks. The prices are also very good. Tie with them and see what you think:)

4. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    What's the 1/10 bad part about them?

5. Teenage Entomologist

Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Media:
    Oh, I've had a couple hooks out of every 200 or so break or have a deformed eye. No big deal.

6. AllenFlyFishing

AllenFlyFishing Allen Fly Fishing

Home Page:
    Gary Knowels likes this.
  7. Michael v.d.Bogert

Michael v.d.Bogert Active Member

Just ordered Maruto and Demmon hooks in Romania. Hope they are as good as they say.
    Cost for 100 pieces per size is €7.63 so much cheaper than the Kamasan I use now.

8. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I'm disappointed that the side barb hooks never caught on,I like the unusual and odd stuff in life and was hoping to try the odd hook variant out,just to be different from the rest of the flock.

9. Dr Bob

Dr Bob Member

I have been around the block and back on this one. I started tying on Tiemco hooks because of the quality and selection. I then drifted into some other brands that performed most of the time with some issues now and then. I am now back to Tiemco because of quality, selection and what Troutcreek says, "it's not an item where you want to be frugal". If I am going to spend my time tying a fly and want it to perform catching fish, I wan to have confidence in that hook at the end of my line.

Dr Bob :)