hook selection

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by soccerstud, Oct 14, 2004.

1. soccerstud

soccerstud New Member

i want to have a good range of hooks to be able to tie different flies what size and what kind of hooks should i get?

2. Calvin1

Calvin1 Member

It all depends on the kind of fishing that you do. If you're a steelhead/salmon fisherperson, you'll want a different selection of hooks than if you are a trout fisher.

I mostly (only) fish for trout. I keep a good stock of dry fly hooks from 12 - 20. This will cover you for most dries, and the addition of beads and lead wire will get the fly down for tying nymphs.

I think the key is look at the flies that you currently use and get hooks which will allow you to tie them.

Added note. I like the Tiemco hooks better than most, they seem to be of a superior quality and have more variations. You can't beat the pricing on Mustad's though.

Calvin

3. Tom Hawkins

Tom Hawkins Newbie is fine w/me, I havent been FFing too long

Calvin1's reply is well noted, and if your just startin' out and stockin' up, one of the best places to do so is Hook 'n Hackle, Mustads of course, they've been around a long time and like the man said, their affordable......the more you buy, it seems the cheaper they get....sort of.

4. soccerstud

soccerstud New Member

thanks do you guys know of anyplace that sells a package of just the most common hooks? This might seem a little stupid but why do different flies require different hooks? I mean i think i understand the difference between streamers and dry's but i'm not really all that sure.

5. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

By this do you mean something like a hook sampler pack? If that's the case, you might try somewhere like Cabela's or Bass Pro. They usually have items along the lines of fly tying kits which have alot of the basics like hooks, thread and bead heads in them. Most likely, as you tie more and more, you'll quickly figure out which hooks you like best, and tie along those lines. If you can't find what you're looking for as far as a package of common hooks, you'd have no trouble finding a basic assortment of a couple of packs of dry hooks, nymph hooks, and streamer hooks to get your hook supply started. Different styles and sizes of hooks do have different purposes and uses. At the same time, personal preference plays a big role as well. Dry fly hooks are needed for dry flys, and saltwater hooks are needed for saltwater, but in between there's alot of gray area and pure style to deal with. Dries require a lighter, finer hooks than a streamer does. Dry hooks must match the proportions of the natural flies. Likewise a streamer hook will typically be longer, to more easily dress a fly to immitate a bait fish or leech. Egg hooks will be short and squat, because eggs aren't all that long in the first place. Nymph hooks will be shaped to more easily tie the types of nymph flies out there. And saltwater hooks are saltwater hooks because they are made of stainless, or nickel plated steel to resist rusting in the saltwater. They of course are also heavier and stronger to stand up to the fish you'll find in the salt. That said, hook choice is still largely a matter of personal preference. You can tie alot of the same patterns on a steelhead hook, a streamer hook or a saltwater hook. It depends on what you want to cast, what you want to spend and what you think you need for hook strength and the such. If you're new to tying, (and I don't know of you are or not) I'd start off with some streamers, and then make the switch over to dries-and a great transition pattern is the Hornberg. You'll quickly see what I mean by choice in hooks being a multi-faceted decision. And don't even get me started on circle hooks, and Gamakatsu's!

Take care all,
    Jeff