Hook sharping

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Bagman, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

I just ran a cross a company called Razor Edge. They make a hook sharpener system that cost $25.95+ shipping. It looks like a good system for the tying bench. Has anyone ever tried one of these? Are they worth having?

2. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

Go to the ladies section in the Walgreen or Riteaid pick up a fingernail file buy several put the rest of your $25.95 in the pocket for gas to a good fishing spot should be able to put 5 gallons in. Here is a pic still a lot cheaper than Dr. Slick

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  3. jwg

jwg Active Member

I don't believe you can mechanically sharpen a hook to be sharper than a modern commercially produced electrochemically sharpened hook.

So if your hooks are good to begin with, I believe mechanical sharpening will more likely dull them a bit.

However I know nothing about stainless steel hooks and this post was in the saltwater forum.

J

4. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

I end up with a lot of dull hooks right out of the box/bag. I always check them after I flatten the barb.

5. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

For many years I simply used an automotive distributor point file but they do rust around the saltwater. It's probably been a while since automobiles have had points so maybe they don't even make those files anymore. I finally bought a Dr. Slick file with both fine and medium diamond grit and it works just fine for me.

6. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    I use a flat Easy Lap diamond hone stick. They are available in fly shops and hardware stores. Originally they were used in tool and machine shops to sharpen carbide tipped cutting bits. They used to give them away when you bought new bits and cutters etc. Now they are a bit pricey. They come in fine, medium and coarse. I use the medium and fine at the tying bench, and the fine when fishing. You can get a very sharp polished finish on any hook with these.

7. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I've used a small file for years. I also believe in the KISS principle . . .

Grayone and triploidjunkie like this.
  8. lastcall

lastcall Member

Yes they still have the point files. I bought one this last week to use on my 71' Honda N600 sedan. I do wish I could get an electronic ignition for it.

9. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    I keep a leatherman in my chestpack. It has a file, along with many other useful tools. It doesn't take long, in the event I hit on the backcast or snag an underwater rock, to file it back to usable.

10. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

If you buy Bob Clouser's tying Saltwater Flies DVD will tell how to sharpen hooks and direction you should go and not to use the sawing method