Hook Storage Boxes

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by charettl, Jan 12, 2014.

1. charettl New Member

rochester, ny
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    I had purchased a Hareline 18 compartment hook box recently for $9.99.

Yesterday I was in Michaels Crafts and found these boxes with rounded bottoms, 99% similar in size and function for $2.39.

I picked up a couple for the price I could not pass up.

DSCN0118 (Medium).JPG DSCN0117 (Medium).JPG
  2. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Ratings: +490 / 0
    Nice find, there's a lot of things that aren't specifically made for the fly fishing industry that when branded for fly fishers is all the sudden exponentially more $$.
    charettl likes this.
  3. MAD777 New Member

Ratings: +1 / 0
    I love these boxes as I have 3 of them loaded up with hooks. However, I paid "fly shop" price. I need to visit Michael's more often!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. FinLuver Active Member

Mid-Willamette Valley
    Ratings: +98 / 0
    I use those boxes for my thread, floss, wires, tinsels, etc...my standard spool materials...they work GREAT!!
  5. DennisE Topwater and tying.

Tacoma, Washington
    Ratings: +68 / 0
    I think the ones I get from Jo Ann's might be even better. They're about $5 (unless you use one of their frequent 50% off coupons). Brand and model is Craftmates Lockables. They have several sizes. I use the size pictured for hooks and beads. Each compartment is 1 1/4 x 1 1/2 x 1 inch deep.

There's also a larger size that I use for thread. In the large one there's a plastic crosspiece in each compartment that can be removed. Once you do that each compartment will hold 2 spools of thread. Same size boxes also nest with built in sockets and pins. That's an 18" Velcro strap holding 3 of the boxes together for transport.

The best part is that each door opens separately but they have to be unlocked by first pushing on the purple bar. Bottom front of each compartment is also rounded.

IMG_20140113_183132_811.jpg

IMG_20140113_185012_030.jpg
    charettl, timlind and FinLuver like this.
  6. dfl Active Member

Sequim WA
    Ratings: +130 / 0
    I drill holes in the bottom of each unit and use them as dubbin dispensers.
    charettl and FinLuver like this.
  7. Jim Darden Active Member

Bellingham, Wa.
    Ratings: +222 / 0
    don't ignore the pill boxes labeled with the day of the week, they make both great hook boxes and dubbing boxes in your traveling kit....
    charettl likes this.
  8. PatrickH Active Member

Snohomish County Wa
    Ratings: +56 / 0
    I got this box is the craft section at Walmart for $5 bucks. Metal beads make a cool sound in this type of plastic when you move it around :D

IMG_1801.jpg
    gormaci likes this.
  9. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    i leave all of my streamer hooks in the original packages (easy to identify) and put them in those 97 cent sterilite plastic shoe boxes

for the smaller hooks i put them in this type of bead storage box. round containers have a screw on lid to help me keep the hooks in the container from spilling

[IMG]
    gormaci and FinLuver like this.