HOOKS: Dia Riki vs. Daiichi vs. Tiemco

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by poirierpro, Mar 2, 2009.

1. poirierpro

poirierpro Member

What are you guys using for your trout flies?? I tie on all three brands and I've heard mixed reviews on Dia Riki but I have yet to have a problem with them. Which are the sharpest/strongest? Just wonderin...

2. seanengman

seanengman Trout have no politics

Media:
    I prefer Dai-ichi and Tiemco (seem to be sharper) but I regularly tie with the Dai Riki. I stay away from Mustad as they seem to be dull and week.

3. fatguide

fatguide fish or DIE

Another vote for Tiemco, I have tried Di Riki and didn't care for them....just didn't seem to get solid hookups. Another to consider is Montana Fly Company....out of necessity tried them and they did fine.

4. Preston

Preston Active Member

I've tied on just about all of them. I've probably tied most often on Tiemco, just because they are readily available at most shops and seem to have the largest selection of styles, including the biggest variety of barbless hooks, which are my preference. Any modern hook, including the newer Mustads, are strong and usually chemically sharpened. One manufacturer you haven't mentioned is Gamakatsu which I find myself tying on more and more. I particularly like their black nickel-finished steelhead hooks (T10-3H and T10-6H).

5. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

My vote goes to any hook of any brand that you think looks best in the size and wire gauge you want. Most contemporary hooks are sharp enough and strong enough for you average trout.

I like to keep things simple.

TC

6. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

Media:
    I have to vote for Tiemco for my trout flies. I have had mustad hooks break at the bend, more then once, both were streamer patterns. For saltwater I really like Gamakatsu, sharp right out of the box, and no problems with breakage.

7. Gary Dills

Gary Dills 3 weight to 10 weight

I look for the bargains with all 3. Use Gamakatsu for stingers. I also carry a file and sharpen most my hooks, especially my nymph hooks. I tend to bounce my flies off a lot of rocks and such. LOL

8. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
    I tie most of my trout flies in Daiichi, Tiemco, Mustad, Gaelic Supreme, Grip and Kamasan hooks. Different hook styles and manufacturers for different patterns and what I want the fly to do in the water.

REE

9. Keaten LaBrel

Keaten LaBrel Formerly Tyinbugs

Media:
    I use Dia-Rikis, Tiemcos, and Gamas...I like the Dia-Riki 700's for streamers, the Tiemcos and Gama's for nymphs and dries. the Gamas seem to be by far the sharpest but in my experience with flies in sizes 14 and smaller, the hook seems to bend after about a half dozen decent sized fish.

10. seanengman

seanengman Trout have no politics

Media:
    Gamakatsu's aren't so available for tying at my local shops, but they are my favorite all around hook. I use them for stingers, eggs, tubes and the sort.

11. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Sage comment, Tim. Wire gauge, in my opinion, is an extremely overlooked component of hook selection.

Each manufacturer seems to have strengths in varying hook models/types. For example, Gamakatsu offers very good saltwater hook styles (bad thing, though, once the points get dinged they're not easy to sharpen); Tiemco offers a huge variety of very good hook styles, particularly trout hooks Daiichi makes great hooks.

Back to your original inquiry:

Dai Riki hoks are a good value; twice as many hooks for the same price as the others. However, they have a limited selection of models, and the hooks aren't as sharp (but are still sharp) as Tiemco or Daiichi.

Check out the Targus hooks, if you're looking for value. Tiemco with a different name . . .

Ford or Chevy? Both Daiichi and Tiemco have their supporters and detractors. They're both good. As Tim noted, buy the brand that offers the hook style and wire gauge that you want.

12. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    i agree with the tiemco crowd, and also second richards Targus reccomendation

13. wolverine

wolverine Member

I tie with all brands but when using Dia Riki's I have learned to always pinch the barb before I put it in the vise. They seem more brittle than other hooks.

14. bfic

bfic Member

Not to Hi-jack this post but..... has anyone tried the Fly Shop brand hooks from The Fly Shop in Redding,CA. I saw thay had some 60 degree jig hooks which I wanted to try but haven't seen locally.

15. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    I tie on mustads, and tiemcos primarily. I like mustads for small stuff and the 3407 is a pretty great hook even though you have to sharpen it (given 100 tiemcos are like $50 and 100 mustands are like $30 I dig the mustads)

Anybody try the new mustad hooks yet?

16. trevally

trevally New Member

Home Page:
    Daiichi here. They offer styles that I cant find with any other manufacturer (like the X510). Plus, it helps to be on the Pro Staff.:beer2:

17. shawn k

shawn k Member

The hooks thE Fly Shop carries are Targus hooks. They are a flyshop exclusive though.

18. salmonslug

salmonslug Streamside in the Gorge

I started tying on the Tiemco's and I really like their quality, but I decided they were a bit expensive for a beginner hack like me. The owner of the local shop suggested Dai Riki's (claimed that's what he uses) so I used those for a couple years. I've landed a lot of fish on Dai Riki sz 8 scud hooks, but I steer away from that brand after losing a handful of steelhead to broken hooks one winter. I agree w/ wolverine that they are more brittle than other brands; they typically broke at the beginning of the gap. I think the Dai Rikis are fine for trout or smaller fish, but I don't trust them steelheading anymore. I've recently been tying on Daiichi's and like them so far.

19. corysean99

corysean99 New Member

I use Tiemco and Daiichi the most since thats mainly what the local shop carrys. I have used the small caddis nymph mustad signiture hooks and like them. I bought some of The Fly shop's hooks when they first came out, and after the 6 months or so on back order they showed up so I tied with them. Didnt break any but a month or so later I got another package from them with more hooks and a letter explaining all the delays and some other issues and wanted to make sure everyone was taken care of with the quality hooks they wanted to sell. 6 packs of 25 for free, I'm not complaining, good peeps

20. FT

FT Active Member

With hooks, you get what you pay for. In other words, the better hooks will always cost more and cheap hooks are false economy, just like with cheap imported tying vises.