Hooks for Pinks

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by DennisE, Sep 1, 2013.

1. DennisE Topwater and tying.

Tacoma, Washington
    Ratings: +65 / 0
    After my experience the other day of 7 hookups with only one boated fish, I had the opposite experience yesterday. Three hookups with three in the boat. It also reinforced the opinion I've begun to form regarding Pinks and the Daiichi 2546 size 6 and the Gamakatsu SC15 size 2. Size wise, these hooks are interchangeable. I can't explain Gamakatsu's sizing. It is what it is.
    On those 2 days of fishing, all fish that came unstuck (6) were on the Daiichi hook, all boated fish (4) were on the Gamakatsu.
    The caveat on this is that this was for Pinks only. It could also probably apply to sea runs and trout. For larger, harder fighting fish, the finer wire of the Gamakatsu might become a problem.
    I'm looking forward to testing that theory!
  2. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +958 / 1
    DennisE,
    Recently, I have been doing some hook size comparisons. This may help.
    I have found that the SC15 holds better. Also, there has been talk of "circle" hooks in other posts. They sound promising.
    Jack
    Jack IMG_1453.jpeg
  3. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +706 / 1
    Today was just one of those days for me. We bailed on our plan to explore Vashon/Maury today and I spent a few hours at BP. Only one on for a brief moment then off. Looking at my hook, it had hit the rocks and bent the tip...explains that one. Tried straightening with my hemostats but it broke off so I tied on another. 2-3 casts later, a knot in the leader and another bent tip :mad:. Managed to straighten this one and then again in a dozen or so casts... WTF. I guess my timing was just off for some reason as I seemed to be fighting the cast today. No doubt one of the challenges of beach fishing with a sloping beach full of granite, but judas priest today was a pain in the drain.

Anyway, being that this post is about hooks, is there any particular brand that can handle saltwater and has rock impact resistant tips? I've been using Diaachi saltwater hooks...maybe these are known to be rather soft steel?
  4. DennisE Topwater and tying.

Tacoma, Washington
    I don't know about impact resistance, but Anil demonstrated the flexibility and recovery on the SC15 for me. Attached some heavy line to the hook and set the hook point on a fixture. He pulled on the line until the hook was shaped like an "L" instead of a "J". When he released pressure it returned to (or very near to) its original shape. He did it more than once with that hook. Tells me they're not brittle, anyway.
  5. Jack Devlin Active Member

There is some interesting talk on hooks and hooking in the thread "Can't Keep Um Pinned" in the Saltwater forum. You probably have seen it.
    Jack
  6. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +706 / 1
    Yup read most of those, but nothing much about how rock resistant certain hooks are. I don't saltwater fish too much, so not much experience tying/fishing saltwater hooks. I figured Diaachi would be pretty decent quality. They are sharp as hell and, when not deformed, pretty much hold pinks and SRC's. I'm just wondering if they maybe not as tough as other stainless steel hooks? Of course, I could just learn not to hit the frickin rocks or find flat beaches...that would take care of that. :D
  7. Jack Devlin Active Member

You will find many different preferences when it comes to hooks. There are many choices today. Personally, I avoid the SS hooks although I still have a supply I'm going through. For most SRC hooks I prefer the Gamakatsu SC 15, SS15, and their octopus hook for stingers. The Daiichi are good hooks and I use them too.
    One thing for sure: hooks and rocks don't mix. Any "touching the beach" on a backcast requires an immediate hook check and touch up with a file.;)
    Jack
  8. SilverFly Ancient Steelhead Sensei

Camas, WA
    Ratings: +50 / 0
    Hadn't thought about rocks being an issue with hook points since the stillwater fishing I do is mostly mud bottom. At the risk of sounding like an infomercial (after my spiel on the "pinned" thread) that may be yet another reason to consider circle hooks. With the point at a right angle to the shank they should be much more resistant to point wear. Or just hanging up on things for that matter.
  9. Gray Ghost Member

Flowing Waters
    Ratings: +20 / 0
  10. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +204 / 0
    The Gamakatsu saltwater hooks are not SS. High tensile carbon steel is more flexible and stronger, so the hooks are made of thinner wire which can be made much sharper. That's why Anil can demonstrate the resilient properties.
    They are then tin plated for corrosion resistance.

As well as being stronger, thinner and sharper, plated hooks will dissolve more quickly than SS when stuck in a fish.

As for damage from a rock.....that's why a lot of anglers use tubes. If you ruin a hook, you can replace it without losing the fly.
  11. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +204 / 0
    I've caught many big chum on SC15's plus one 32" Blackmouth on a size 4.
  12. DennisE Topwater and tying.

Tacoma, Washington
    That's good to know!