hooks

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by baseballandfishing, Jan 16, 2003.

1. baseballandfishing

baseballandfishing New Member

Media:
    i was just wondering whatbrand of hooks yall use. mustad is pretty decent priced so is eagleclaw. tiemco is more expensive, but is is worth the extra? so, what do you think

2. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    I don't usually worry about the price of my hooks, because I'm more concerned with the end result, and buy hooks based on what I want to tie. But overall I use Tiemco, Gamakatsu and Umpqua.

I know you get what you pay for, but 5 to 8 bucks for up to 25 hooks is not all that big a deal when you consider the cost of 25 pre-tied fly's in the shop can run up to $75 or more.
    LB

3. Adam O'Hair

Adam O'Hair Member

Tiemco(which is the same as umpqua)is the best and you'll pay for it, Dai-Riki(they have a few trout styles I like) and Daiichi(for steelhead). I do use Mustad when tying up a bunch of streamers for my buddies and me for big browns, never had a problem with a fish but a few broke at the bench.

Don't let anybody tell you that you are going to save money tying your own flies. Add materials, tools, HOOKS, and time and you're not saving.

My advice is to tie using the best hooks you can afford because it would be a shame to spend time and energy on a fly only to have it break or the point to bend or chip off(I hate when it happens to me!).

Happy tying
    :thumb
    -Herefishy

4. mtlhead

mtlhead Member

Daiichi A.J.'s all the way for my Metalheadded friends!!!:smokin

5. speyneznbhm

speyneznbhm New Member

A.j.'s for my spey's dee's and G.p.'s tiemco's for marabous and everthing else I agree never cost out the price of your flies certainly don't tell your wife what I like best about both is the tapered eye that and 8/0 thread makes for a nice small tight head even with wings checks and collars. for durability the T 's are best I also think they hold the hooked fish better than a Aj bounce your spey's on too many rocks and the curl so I fish them mostly in spring and summer If I want to bounce around on the stones big bous on t's the only way to go.

6. Dutchman

Dutchman Tom Van Gelder

I agree DO Not cost out the cost of you flies. I use tiemco barbless for most of my ties. I will use brand x y or z if Tiemco dose not have a hook style I want. Like fishing tying is in the enjoyment not the cost savings.:beer1

7. vpons

vpons New Member

in my opinion, Tiemco, gamakatsu and kamasan make the best hooks for the price
    I'm surprised that no one mentioned the kamasan since they are sharper than all the other ones. They are very popular in Europe

Vincent

8. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    >Don't let anybody tell you that you are going to save
    >money tying your own flies. Add materials, tools,
    >HOOKS, and time and you're not saving.

Don't mean to start a big deal here but, every pre-tied store bought fly has the cost of labor added in.
    Unless you charge yourself for your own labor, that cost is never a part of the cost of a self tied fly.
    The truth of the matter is most, if not all of us have gobs of un-used tying materials in our fly tying kits and it's the cost of those under utilized materials that make it more expensive.
    Well that and the fact that we all have this thing about buying more than we actually need to have, anybody out there have only one rod & reel?
    I agree that tying your own flies is not just about saving money, it's fun and a great hobby especially when you can't go fishing, but pre-tied fly's are not priced at cost!
    So on an actual cost per fly basis you will save money simply because labor AND profit on the end product (there is always labor and profit in the raw materials no matter who buys it,or where) is always a part of the retail price.
    That's my thought on it, if anyone thinks that's wrong I'm listening.

LB

9. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    I use just about any hooks that cross my table. I tie trout on Tiemco, Mustad, Di-Riki, Daitchi, and the rest. Steelie flies on Mustad, Alec Jackson, Daitchi, Tiemco and Partridge. And for saltwater, I use Daitchi, Mustad and Mustad CS, and Trey Combs Big Game.

For me, the finish, shape and weight of the hook is far more important than the higly criticized temper and sharpness.

Yep, old style Mustads are the lowest quality around, but I can't blame them for a darn thing. The highly prased Tiemco and Alec Jacksons are both pretty brittle hooks in my book, as they are the ones that get broken in the backcast more than Mustads. I keep hearing about hooks breaking when the barb is crushed, and I can only think that is an urban legend as I have never seen it, and can't imagine it happening.

The Mustads bend, and I can fix that and not lose the fly. Yep, I might lose a fish, but hooked and lost is better than not hooked.

And this whole sharpness debate is silly. Most fish have fairly soft, easily hookable mouths. A point rather than a blunt end is probably all that is necessary in most cases.

Oh, and comparing to commercially tied flies? Most are tied on the cheapest hooks available, the low end Mustads. And I wouldn't be surprised if that were true of Umpqua, too.

Rob

10. kal

kal Member

Has anyone tried the hooks that Cabelas sells, or knows who makes them? They seem like a good deal, especially if you buy in larger lots. Just wondering if they are worth it?

11. speyman

speyman Member

Home Page:
    For Steelies I would only use Alec Jackson Speys. I would say 30% more fish stay on since I switched to only AJ's. I use em dry or wet, hairwing, Spey or Atlantic Salmon. I do use a T2457 for my Steelhead Spider since I need a short shank.

Speyman

12. crockett

crockett New Member

Media:
    I only use Gamakatsu hooks for steelhead flies. The T10-6H for one hook setups. For stinger setup, I use cheap Mustads for the front hook and the Gam'u Octopus hook for the trailing hook. IMHO, they seem to be smaller diameter wire for the same size hook as an Alec Jackson and just as durable and sharp. Too many fishing hours spent for each steelhead to use a poorer quality hook like Mustad (or even Partridge). For trout, I use a variety of Tiemco hooks.

-Crock

13. flyflyaway

flyflyaway Member

Media:
    Anyone heard of or used Targus hooks?

14. Surf_Candy

Surf_Candy Member

Media:
    I got a batch of Tiemco 2/0 stainless for a Cabo trip this past summer - a mfr defect caused them to break off - looked like during the process making the barb there was not enough shank meat left and when you pinched it down the hook point bent up, and when stuck in a fish broke off. Same for not bending the bard down - broke off in the fish.

Luckily I tied very few at this size and did not waste my time.

Jim w

15. Hywel

Hywel New Member

In my opinion, for value, design, stength, metalurgy, finish(es), and consistency...DAIICHI - namely Alec Jackson Spey Fly Hooks, Steelhead Irons, and Low-Water Dee.

Just my opinion!

Pre-Singapore Partridge hooks are also great.