Hopper Pattern

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by surfnsully, Jul 13, 2009.

1. surfnsully Active Member

Happy Valley, OR
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    Does anyone have an easy, but effective, hopper pattern for western Montana? I am heading there in a couple of weeks and wanted to tie a few before I go.

Thanks,
  2. Slipstream Member

Goldendale, WA
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    Joe's Hopper is my favorite and it's easy to tie. SS
  3. Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Try a BLT hopper. It is 3 layers of foam and rubber legs. there is a pic on the Cabela's website under terrestrials...
  4. Keaten LaBrel Formerly Tyinbugs

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    for any of the freestones...foamy chernobyl type stuff with rubberlegs work really good in all colors and sizes #4-12...for tailwaters and spring creeks i like more natural looking patterns like stalcups, daves, and rainy's in sizes #6-12...go to any of the major fly vendor sites (montana fly, rainy's, solitude) and look for a pattern you can tie quickly and effectively...then tie a lot of them ( i tend to lose a lot of hoppers tryin to stick um tight to the undercuts and bushes)
  5. Pelhament I like tacos.

Eugene, OR
    Ratings: +0 / 0
  6. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    Ratings: +77 / 0
  7. Pelhament I like tacos.

Eugene, OR
    Those hopper cutters are the sh!t! I'm waiting to get my tying room set back up, after relinquishing it to become the baby's nursery, to buy that set. A lot of extra work was done with the foam to get it to look that good, but I have seen some that were just cut out and put together and they still make pimp ass hopper patterns!
  8. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    Clophopper is a pretty easy pattern.
  9. sean_k Active Member

Spanaway Wa.
    Ratings: +25 / 0
    Klod hopper (yes its spelled with a K) its easy to tie is basically a cross between a daves hopper and a foam hopper I've had grat success in Colorado with it.
  10. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    clophopper ;) I kinda fat-fingered that one....thanks for the correction sean
  11. Pelhament I like tacos.

Eugene, OR
    Thats the guy I was looking for earlier, the Klod Hopper also did very well in Yellowstone in both yellow and Tan. I used white legs on mine, but I colored the tips or feet red with a sharpie.
  12. Luke Ramirez Still DoubleUgly

Ballard, WA
    para-hoppers always work well for me in Colorado and Utah. Worth a shot. Easy to tie too.
  13. riseform Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +286 / 0
    At least for the deer hair head hoppers, you can always do the Whitlock trick and Zap-a-Gap a sprig of Mason hard nylon into the bottom of the head to work as a weed guard. I imagine you could poke a small hole in the foam and do the same thing.
  14. surfnsully Active Member

Happy Valley, OR
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    Thanks for all of the tips. I will start tying some tomorrow :)
  15. Pelhament I like tacos.

Eugene, OR
    One thing to keep in mind when tying some of the foam patterns is that if you tie them in smaller sizes 14-18, make sure not to make too many or too tight of thread wraps around the foam. I found that in the smaller sizes if I tightened the thread too tight or used too many wraps than it decreased the floatability of the foam and I had to continually dress them with floatant. However, I also found that trout like sunken hoppers nearly as much as ones floating on the surface. Also, if you only tie a couple colors (yellow and tan) it helps to have a couple markers with you to "match the hatch." The prismacolor markers in light green, dark green and brown came in very handy.
  16. sashjo Member

Lakewood, WA.
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Agree. I would take a sz 16 black beetle over a hopper pattern anyday. Not many patterns are as overrated as a hopper pattern.
  17. DSFlyman Member

Santa Monica, CA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Personally I like the parachute hopper and the fat albert. The fat albert sits lower on the water, but it's built with a couple layers of foam so it is a bit like casting a flip flop.