Hopper "Show and Tell"

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Don Johnson, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Don Johnson

Don Johnson Duke of Furl

As I've done on another site I frequent often, I thought I'd start a thread here for us to show & tell their favorite hopper patterns. This one of mine (presently licensed to Pacific Fly Group) is what I call my Dropper Hopper as it has a loop of mono on the ass-end that really helps expedite faster changes in droppers, especially when it's cold out and the fingers are a little less nimble.

The Dropper Hopper works very well so long as the weight of the dropper is kept under consideration; by this I mean the Hopper won't float a size 6, tungsten-headed stonefly but it does work well with small beadheads or when you want to fish really small dry flies that you can't see well.

One other benefit is that you can have a bunch of droppers pre-rigged so it's easier and faster to change depths or patterns once on the water.

Looking forward to seeing your patterns.

2. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    Not much for fishin droppers here :( :( , but heres one of my better fishin hoppers- easy to tie- can use scraps up :thumb:

Last year was the first time I gave some to anyone-- the stepsons friend when he went to Montana on one of his many jaunts there- I sent a 1/2 dozen , he called two days later for more. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ain't too pretty for puttin in a box,,, but the fishes don't seem to care :cool: :cool:

Under body- chartruese antron floss
    yellow or green foam body-- can be colored with Panatone marker
    side wings- scrap mottled turkey or similar
    Deer hair pulled back Madam "X" style
    green spotted and brown rubber legs - each side- short front and longer rear

Attached Files:

3. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    the one the right is my most effective creation and easy to tie of the bunch. I dont fish dropper of my hoppers because grasshoppers move in the water, and mayfly nymphs cant keep up. It more effective and much more fun to give your hoppers the action they deserve. Try it some time, the takes flippin insane!

Attached Files:

4. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    Those are beauties Dan !!! thanx

tl/ davy