Hoppers! What is your favorite pattern to tie & fish?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by para_adams, Jul 22, 2014.

1. para_adams

para_adams Active Member

Heading with my son to MT middle of August and I'd like to tie up some hoppers for the trip. I don't mind tying your basic Stimy, Madam X or Chernobyl, but those complicated hoppers I see in the shops would drive my crazy to tie. What patterns are effective for SW Montana and would keep me sane to tie up a dozen?

2. sbr

sbr Member

The Charlie Boy Hopper

para_adams likes this.
  3. Eric Denny

Eric Denny It's summer time I'm fishing!!

BakerSean1 and para_adams like this.
  4. Matt Hutch

Matt Hutch Member

Haven't fished too much of SW Montana but I have spent seasons in eastern Idaho and western Wyoming on rivers that get some pretty good hopper action. Earlier this year I was also lucky enough to spend a couple months guiding on a couple rivers in Chile that are known for their hopper fishing. Needless to say, I got to do a lot of experimenting with different hopper patterns. Obviously different patterns may be more or less effective in different places, and virtually all of them will work at times but I do feel that I got a decent idea of which patterns. The ones that have worked the best for me are the Morrish Hopper, Rainy's Grand Hopper, and Dave's Hopper. The Morrish has the most accurate shape and profile of those patterns, and it's been my go-to. Dave's is a classic and despite not looking as much like a real hopper as the Morrish, it just works. It's a good one for skating, twitching, etc. The Grand is the odd one for me because I never gave it much attention but towards the end of the season in Chile it started to perform the best. Perhaps it was just because those fish had seen Morrish and Dave's hoppers for the past two months. I tried as many colors as I could get ahold of and yellow, pink, and tan were the most effective. Green was also good but not quite as good as the other three. Color, though, is something that I imagine varies from place to place.

Moral of the story, they're all good and flies are made to catch fisherman more than fish so pick whatever you think looks good. The three I listed are just the ones that have been the most effective for me.

sbr and para_adams like this.
  5. Matt Hutch

Matt Hutch Member

Oh ya, almost forgot to add that chernobyl ant variations always work as well. I really like the CFO ant because of the hackle on the bottom.

6. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

If you're out of hoppers, Gink up a Muddler Minnow.

7. weiliwen

weiliwen Active Member

I just take a muddler with a bit longer deer hair wing, divide the wing in two, and knot each side so it looks like legs. It seems to work.

8. funfisher

funfisher Fish On!

Google for "Chaos Hopper." Very effective and a piece of cake to tie. ;)

9. Teenage Entomologist

Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

I've become a fan of Karnopp's Freestone as a Hopper.

10. GAT

GAT Active Member

I've always done the best with Joe's Hopper. I've tried the much newer patterns but for some reason, the simple ol' Joe's Hopper works best for me.

tkww likes this.
  11. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

I like the rubber ones that you get at the store. They float forever, and they can beat the snot out of the things, yet they still float.

This won't wash with the purists, but that's their problem.

WT and Alexander like this.
  12. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Never seen rubber hoppers before....where might I find these?

13. Steve Slater

Steve Slater Member

Eric Denny likes this.
  14. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

Morrish Hopper all day.

Daves Hopper if shit gets weird.

15. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

I think I've found them at the Seaward store. "C" word, get it? There's one in Lacey. You could check with a real fly shop though, they'll call them foam hoppers.

16. JE

JE Active Member

Madame X

17. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

I have my own hopper pattern. A take off of a stimulator, works well for me. Stimulators work well.