HORNY 11' 2/3wt Switch Build

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by William Wallace, Sep 23, 2011.

1. William Wallace Active Member

Graham Wa
    Ratings: +194 / 0
    Well having a little fun building a lil trout switch. Purchased an 11' 2/3 wt blank, cheap, but will be fun to building something again to get the rust off. Had an old antler rack in the garage that was just collecting dust and cut 3 1/2" off the base for my lower handle.

It may look a little off kilter, but it fits perfect in my hand and feels very comfortable.

Just attached the reel seat tonight! Getting closer! Now I have to figure how I want the forward handle. I know I will be putting a section or two more of antler into the handle. It will look ungodly, but I know it will be mine and it will get some beautiful fish!

Right now, even with the reel, it is still top heavy and balances awesome. For me, I like the lower half to have more weight, to me it balances once I get line out and start casting. Just my liking.

More pics to follow. Any comments ot suggestions, please do not hesitate and post. I need all the help I can get.

BRAVEHEART
  2. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,101 / 4
    Sounds like a fun project. Cool little rod.
  3. jessejames Flyslinger

Show Low, Arizona
    Ratings: +338 / 3
    Neat thing about building you own. You can do what you want. Cool project.
    jesse
  4. William Wallace Active Member

Graham Wa
    Got great idea for forward handle!!!! Have not seen it done yet on any rod. I know maybe some has, but never seen. Stay tuned!
  5. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    where'd you get an 11' 2/3 wt blank??? I want one!!!
  6. Wadecalvin Member

Redmond Oregon
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    Anglers Roost Enterprises- google it= they have one- also, they have a new 12' 3/4 the 2/3 is pretty noodle-like-
  7. William Wallace Active Member

Graham Wa
    Just bought the 12' er to give a try. Have all the guides on and tried it with a line or two.

So far for me it likes around 250 to 280 grains. 300 seems a little heavy and really bends to the reel seat. Still having fun! Almost done, then I will get it all up here.
  8. William Wallace Active Member

Graham Wa
    Almost done with the forward handle. Was talking with my neighbor and said I now have to figure out what to do with buying cork. Couple days later while shooting my bow in back yard he came out to me with a baskit of cool things! Wine and champane corks.....hummmmmmmm..neat idea!

So far this is what I came up with, still need to sand to get proper feel, but what a hell of an idea! Never seen it done, probably it has been done before, but what a cool thing.

End corks are champane and middle are wine corks. Fits my hand beautiful, love the small corks to feel the blank bend. I can feel what the blank is doing to the bend, knowing if I am over loading or under loading. Glad he gave these to me, cause if not the handle would have cost me over 50 bucks!

Once I sand handle to liking, I will post more pics.

What do ya think for a couple of drunks!!!!!

BRAVEHEART
  9. Matthew LeBret Active Member

clarkston, wa
    Ratings: +75 / 0
    That is a crazy Idea :thumb: It has a great shape with the bubbly cork on the ends! All around great build so far
  10. John Wallace Active Member

Bellevue,Wa.
    Ratings: +61 / 1
    I know we have been talking Bro, but that is awesome. I have been waiting for pictures. Hope you are going to do that with the 12 footer too!!!!
  11. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +108 / 0
    However it turns out, you have created the Original Drunk'nHorny Switch Rod.