Hot Ford

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Al, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Al New Member

Ellensburg, Wa, Kittitas.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Just had a wonderful day at Rocky Ford yesterday. Landed 10 and lost a lot more than that. Got one whopper - 27" and slightly over 7 lbs.!!! Biggest I have ever caught there. Three of the others were 20-22" and the rest about 14". Most were caught on a size 12 3x Black Mohair Leech. There was lots of surface action early and the fish seemed eager to bite.

Nothing is frozen yet so that clay soil is very slippery - watch your step. There were 4 cars yesterday, but I suspect on the weekends there will be a crowd.

Good luck!
    Al
  2. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Ratings: +295 / 0
    You had a good day! Right on.
  3. Dan Reynolds Member

Bozeman, Mt
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Did you weight your mohairs? Do you have a good source for getting mohair? I've seen some different patterns for those and have wanted to experiment with a few patterns.

Next time I hit the ford I want to try a pattern I killed 'em with on the Bighorn River in montana. It's a sowbug pattern with a cool tying technique that makes it look translucent when wet. I think it'll be a good pattern for the scuds there.
  4. Al New Member

Ellensburg, Wa, Kittitas.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Yes, I weight my flies and use a sinktip line with about 10-12' of leader.;-) Half the battle at RFC is to get the fly down and moving along the weeds and rocks. The fish are there.

Good luck!

Al