Hot Spot Flies

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Big E, Dec 26, 2012.

1. pittendrigh

pittendrigh Active Member

Home Page:
    Good thread. The following is my favorite not-match-the-hatch hotrod fly. I learned about it from Willy Self. The Lazer Midge--made with Pearl Ice Dub and hot fluorescent Edge Bright.
    This is a particularly good winter fishing fly. But it works all year long. Amazingly well at times.

[​IMG]

GAT likes this.
  2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

The majority of trout I've caught while trying to imitate a midge (or Buzzer, if you're from Europe) is with a red pattern. Considering, as the photos show, the worm type body is heavily segmented, I really like the above pattern and plan to tie a few... just in case.

3. pittendrigh

pittendrigh Active Member

Home Page:
    RE> Willy Self's Lazer Midge. The dark wire banding is my twist of Willy's fly. That's the photo I have. But both Willy and I now tie that fly (most of the time anyway) with a wispy hackle-like collar in front of the bead, rather than a Serendipidy-like wing tuft behind the bead. Willy's got a new mostly under construction website at http://willystroutworld.com Cool guy. Good fly tier. This is a goto fly for me now. Two October's back I fished two wet flies during a thick heavy Baetis hatch on the Gallatin River in Montana. One fly was the Lazer Midge. The other was a more traditional gray/brown colored soft hackle wet fly. This was during a heavy mayfly hatch. The fish took the hot bright Lazer Midge two-to one over the more realistic pattern. I switched point fly/dropper fly positions and it still didn't matter.

4. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Thanks for the link. Most of the patterns look like the ones I tie except for that Lazer guy.

5. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

This kind'a goes along with the hot spot theme and also points out that our patterns are not exactly model insects. The patterns that work for me are more of a representation than a replica.

As far as the hot spot goes, the Golden Stone nymph pattern that works the best for me on The D and The Met has an orange head.

This guy:

[​IMG]

But let's take a look at the genuine article. For a few months I kept Golden Stonefly nymphs in my bug aquarium... there were mayfly and free living caddis nymphs also in the aquarium but the Golden Stoneflies ate them all. Vicious little devils. Eventually, there was no bug remaining in the aquarium other than stonefly nymphs.

Unlike the midges with the red butt, I don't see an orange colored head on this guy:

[​IMG]

Not only that, the pattern I'm tying to look like a Golden Stonefly nymph is all out of whack when it comes to proportions and colors.

[​IMG]

The thorax on the natural bug is the same length as the body. The back is dark brown and only the underside has a yellowish tint. The tail and antenna are fairly short. The head is huge. Yet I don't know of any Golden Stonefly nymph that works with any consistency with the thorax as long as the body and normally, the tail is much longer than it should be and we tie small heads. Yet they catch fish.

Representation vs replica. I suppose this is where the color spot idea has some value. We don't need to replicate the natural bug and adding a little weird color helps initiate the strike.

In fact, my good friend and fishing buddy, Rocky, and I once spent a winter tying model Giant Stonefly patterns. The bodies were preformed so we ended up with patterns that looked exactly like a Salmon Fly nymph. Did they work better than a pattern like a black Bird's Stonefly?

Nope. They worked worse. In fact, I don't remember catching a single trout with the model insect stoneflies we tied.

Maybe we should have added a red tail.

Oh, and BTW: Thanks Eric, now I'm off and running trying more experiments with red... but I went with red dyed ostrich instead of a red bead. Thanks... thanks a lot for creating a monster.

[​IMG]
    :)

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  6. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    Along the same line as the Olive Willy, I've done well also with an olive bugger tied with an orange bead, aka the Pumkinhead. As others have noted regarding a prominent color spot, this pattern can be lights out . . .or not. I also fish it with a red bead/rusty red hackle. Pumpkinhead.jpg

GAT and Jeff Dodd like this.
  7. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

Wow - awesome info

8. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Here's another streamer with red at the gill area. Long ago, we used them for night fishing for rock bass in the salt off the jetties at Newport Bay. It is a simply tie, but was very effective in catching the rock bass. If I was going to update the pattern, I'd add eyes. When it comes to a bait fish imitation, I believe eyes also work as a trigger and could be considered a hot spot.

[​IMG]

9. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

That is an amzing picture and really gives you some insight into what fish look for. Great share thank you!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

10. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    The Staynor ducktail is one of my favorite lake flies. I tie it with both a red hackle/gills and red tail. Double hot spot?

D
    Stayner Ducktail natural.jpg