Hot-wire Tarcher Pheasant Tail SBS

Discussion in 'Fly Tying Step by Step' started by ScottP, Jan 24, 2014.

1. [​IMG]

Found an old box of Swimming Nymph hooks and was trying to come up with something to do with them. After a failed attempt at a Flick Stonefly Creeper, gave this a shot. No better, no worse than the standard (although it is somewhat weedless), just playing around.

hook - Orvis 1512-00 #12
    thread - MFC 8/0 brown
    tail/shellback - pheasant tail fibers
    abdomen - UTC wire brassie/brown x-fine/copper
    thorax -peacock herl
    wingcase/legs -pheasant tail fibers

mash barb and attach thread at 60% mark and wrap back to bend

[​IMG]

tie in a clump of pheasant tail fibers; fold butt ends back and wrap to the rear

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

take 2 strands of wire, flip hook (rotary makes it a lot easier) and tie in on underside of hook

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wrap wire back to the bend

[​IMG]

take a few wraps of wire (try to keep the 2 strands tight together), pull the pheasant tail butts over the back and secure with the copper wire

[​IMG]

repeat this every 3-4 wraps up the hook to the thorax; helicopter wire ends, trim pt butts and smooth with thread wraps back to 60% mark

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tie in another clump of pheasant tail, tips extending over hook eye; wrap back to end of abdomen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tie in peacock herl (slightly twist with tying thread) and wrap thorax

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pull pheasant tail butts forward to create shellback over thorax; trim

[​IMG]

separate legs, fold half back on each side; half hitch x 2, SHHAN

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dorsal

[​IMG]

ventral

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Scott

2. That is one great looking nymph. I'll have to tie some up this winter.

3. If you don't have any swimming nymph hooks, but you do have some of those "natural bend" irons like a Dai Riki 270, Tiemco 200, Orvis 1512-00, etc, you can roll your own. Takes about 10 seconds (including time to mash the barb):

before

[​IMG]

hold hook against a metal rod of some sort (my vise stem works great)

[​IMG]

clamp eye securely against the stem with a pair of pliers; push away against the bottom of the bend until you get the curve you're looking for (only 2 hands so I can't show the process in action)

[​IMG]

ready for action

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Scott

4. Nice! Tonights project,
    I love your SBS Scott, you are very talented and you make them diverse and intriguing!

5. Nice fly and great idea with the hook!

6. Great SBS Scott, you always have some cool patterns and tips. Always good to see these, thanks !!!

Mark

7. An old dog learns new tricks. Thanks.

Great looking and interesting fly.

8. Scott, I always enjoy your SBS tutorials, and they have given me quite a bit of inspiration to try tying new flies - this is a good one, Thanks