How about a Junior Fly Swap?

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by yngfishinful, Jun 24, 2004.

1. yngfishinful New Member

Orting, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Now I don't know how many flies you guys would want to tie, but what I'm saying is this:
    Each person selects one fly of their choosing from each catagory. Lets say we agree on 4 catagories... each person would send in four flies.
    EXAMPLE: Lets say I might choose these, again saying their are four catagories, and these are it.:dunno
    1 Parachute Adams= my 1 dry fly
    1 Prince= my 1 nymph
    1 Wolly Bugger= my 1 wet fly
    1 Black Nose Dace= my 1 streamer

You guys need to start suggesting the catagories you would like and any other concerns. Please/Thank You
    :)
  2. Jay Allyn The Poor-Student Fly Fisher

Bellingham/Puyallup, WA
    How would we split that up if the count is 7? Seven catagories? But then what would each person recieve? The way you are thinking only will work 1 on 1 unless multiple flies (7) were tied for each catagory. How about we just pic one or two themes and tie 7 of the same fly for that catagory?
  3. Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    im with ffjunky on this one, 7 of one catagory, that is how a normal swap works, u pic ur fly, tie one or two for everyone, simple as that. Im in for streamers then, but i think we should just get to choose the fly, no matter what catagory, for example, i use many flies that don't have any catagory, rather how u fishes them determines what they imitate. A bugger fished dd or in small strips coud look like a dragon fly nymph, while one fished fast may look like a minnow. If u do it at a medium pace (if u have heard the song by adam sandler u will find that funny) it could look like a leech (longshot, but maybe) hellgrimate,tadpole,ect... Anyways, i say, tyer pics pattern, tie 2 for everyone casue i dont think there is gonna be alot of ppl, thats it, no catogories, cause what if someone has a killer nymph, and so does another swap participant, it isnt fair to both of them. I think we should leave it simple as that.
  4. yngfishinful New Member

Orting, WA, USA.
    I understand what your saying about tying one for everyone, but I still am a little slow:beathead, so can you do so some kind of list for me? Thanks
  5. Jay Allyn The Poor-Student Fly Fisher

Bellingham/Puyallup, WA
    Each person would tie 14 flies. Either 14 or the same fly, or 7 of 2 different flies. If we decide on a catagory (nymphs, dries, streamer, steelhead, etc) then they would have to be of that catagore.

Since the theme of this swap would be only us youngin's I think we should be able to tie what ever fly (or 2) we want, that way we can show off our tying skills.
  6. yngfishinful New Member

Orting, WA, USA.
    10-4, sounds good. My vote for the two catagories are dry fly and nymph. We also still need to find a moderator and a final count on how many entries we have. Thanks junky for helping take charge.:smokin
  7. Jay Allyn The Poor-Student Fly Fisher

Bellingham/Puyallup, WA
    I can be the mod, I've done it before. I count seven so far? I think we should close it at seven, that way we stay at 14 flies.

My catagory votes: nymph and salmon/steelhead

So far: Nymph 2, dry fly 1, salmon/steelhead 1
  8. yngfishinful New Member

Orting, WA, USA.
    No objections on you being the mod. Lets say we close it at noon tomorrow.?. Nymph and salmon/steelhead is fine with me. I am going home for the night (I check this at work every hour or so.) I'll check in, in the morning. Its quittin' time.:beer2 :beer1 :rofl :smokin
  9. yngfishinful New Member

Orting, WA, USA.
    No objections on you being the mod. Lets say we close it at noon tomorrow.?. Nymph and salmon/steelhead is fine with me. I am going home for the night (I check this at work every hour or so.) I'll check in, in the morning. Its quittin' time.:beer2 :beer1 :rofl :smokin
  10. Backyard SANCHO!

The River, WA.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Hey, If you guys send me some flies. I'll buy you beer
    :beer2

ya little shits. :thumb
  11. Jay Allyn The Poor-Student Fly Fisher

Bellingham/Puyallup, WA
    Yeah!:beer1 :beer1 :beer1 :beer1 :beer1

Actually I really don't like the way bear tasts, but then again I've really haven't tried that many types and only a couple sips at that.
  12. Backyard SANCHO!

The River, WA.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    yeah 'bear' is kinda... musky or bitter? haha :thumb
  13. Jay Allyn The Poor-Student Fly Fisher

Bellingham/Puyallup, WA
    My bad. Sometimes I type and post too quickly.

Insert "beer" for all occurences of "bear". :+
  14. Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    backyard, that made me laugh, alot. Anyways, i dont like the way bear tastes, kinda greasy, but beer on the other hand is a lot better.

Ynfishingfool, or whateveri, cant ever remember ur name, have u ever done a swap before??? Read my coment about us getting to choose our own flies, cause i think that we should really do it that way, any other way and it kinda limits what we are allowed to tie. Anyways, if u want me to run the swap i can do it, ive participated in 7 swaps and ran 1 of them.
  15. Dan Soltau New Member

Bozeland, MT - Raleigh, NC
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Lets just do 14 flies each. 7 of 2 patterns or 14 of 1 pattern. I can streamer and terrestrial. how about that?
  16. yngfishinful New Member

Orting, WA, USA.
    Backyard, if you make it a case of Corona, I'll send you two dozen 2/0 marabou flesh flies.(custom for you of course) :thumb :beer2 :beer1
    Winston, no I have never done a swap before and I am glad you would like to be the mod, so the honor is yours if you still want it. I say you may also make the final call on the TWO catagories of flies we will be tying.(Nymph and salmon/steelhead, right?) Like I put in my final reply of 6/26, lets close the entries at noon today(6/27).

FYI- I was joking about the beer. Beer sucks. It tastes gross. I will say beer does taste better than "bear" though.:D }(
  17. Aaron Pierce New Member

Duvall.
    Were do you milk a bear to get the beer?
    :eek:eek
    Aaron
  18. yngfishinful New Member

Orting, WA, USA.
    IT IS NOW NOON! SWAP ENTRIES ARE CLOSED! But don't worry, we'll have another soon if this one goes smoothly.

Aaron, its not so much where the bear gets milked to give the beer, but the secret is in how long it ferments. The final product is actually warm Budweiser.

I went back and looked our discussion over and I noticed that we have two offers for the moderator position. So, fishingjunky and Winston, you guys hurry up and figure out who wants to do it. Get back ASAP, cause I'm itching to get tyin'!!:thumb
  19. Jay Allyn The Poor-Student Fly Fisher

Bellingham/Puyallup, WA
    Ok. I'm gona take charge here. We have 7 tyers. Each person will either tie 14 of the same fly, or 7 of 2 different flies. Tie what ever patterns you like. Streamers, saltwater, warmwater, nymphs, dies, steelhead, etc. The theme of this swap is for the Juniors to show off what they can do. To do this, we have to be able to tie what ever we want.

Flies are due Agust 1st!

Send them to me, and I'll decide if I want to send any back! }(

Jay Allyn
    7524 138th st ct e
    Puyallup, WA 98373

Get tying!
  20. yngfishinful New Member

Orting, WA, USA.
    Excellent! OK ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, start your bobbins!

Tyers signed up:
    yngfishinful
    fishingjunky15
    Winston IM6
    flip
    flyfishrr
    Winston IM6
    madison angler

Besides fishingjunky15 and Winston, can everybody on the list confirm their participation please.

fishingjunky15 is in charge now. Take the wheel pal. :thumb