how bad are the standard scadden oars

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by golfman44, Feb 18, 2014.

1. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

So many people rip on these. This will be my first boat. Thinking about the assault xx. Want some honest opinions on these oars.

I've rowed down a good chunk of the lower deschutes (Maupin to the mouth) in a drift boat. I did all the class 2's and below, let the experienced rower take on the class 3's/4's. I would have gotten torn up in a few of those rapids. My point is, I would prefer to not pay the $250 but am not fully confident in my rowing abilities yet since I've only rowed 2-3 times besides stillwater/puget sound crabbing stuff. Will these oars make a significant difference for a noob? Or is it one of those cool situations where I won't miss what I don't have? If they are that terrible, would you recommend the yellow-tipped oars from scadden or the bob marley ones?

Waters will be sky/stilly/yakima

Patrick Allen likes this.
  2. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

I have the funky Ty dye oars for the Scadden Assault XXX that I do not use. If they will fit your boat you can have them for $50.00. I put a frame on my boat and I would give you the extra pins as well in case you ever broke one. PM me if interested

Bill Aubrey and Blue like this.
  3. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

Deal. 100% done.

4. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

You will like the tie dye oars. They are sawyer shoal cuts, and much better than the standard oars.

golfman44 and Gregg Lundgren like this.
  5. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

If you do get the Sawyers used on the Assault XXX, you might expect some significant overlap at the oar handles while rowing. I have some handle overlap even with the oars I received with my Assault XX. The Assault XXX is 62" wide vs. 56" wide for the Assault XX.

Blue and golfman44 like this.
  6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

If you're rowing the Sky below high bridge, the stilly, and the Yakima, any cheap azz oars will do. I rowed all those waters and more for years in my Achilles LT2 with oars that are barely a step up from play pool oars, and never a problem.

Sg

golfman44 likes this.
  7. Gregg Lundgren

Maybe it's just me.;) I would not feel confident putting the pedal to the metal trying to reach a more difficult take-out in high water with two aboard in the Assault XX using the standard aluminum oars. I have both the Sawyer and the standard aluminum oars for the Assault XX. This is mainly based on using the standard aluminum oars in stillwater with two aboard. Now the upgraded aluminum oars from Water Master is a different story all together, I have confidence in those. This is just one opinion though, and I don't spend a lot of my time on the rivers comparatively speaking.

golfman44 likes this.
  8. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

Did you try changing the pin location? Think I heard that in a youtube video somewhere (watched so many doubt I can find it again)

9. Gregg Lundgren

No, not that big a deal for my set-up. I think the new pin location would be way too close to the original, and would weaken the oar. On a positive note, it makes me think a bit more, like I'm sculling.

If you do change the pin location, do be sure to reference that video and some posts made on this forum. It's not as easy to do right as one originally might think.

10. james.jimenez

james.jimenez Active Member

I personally have not had any issues with the standard oars I have with my Scadden XXX 12’ pontoon, but I would recommend adding a couple of patched pin kits to your emergency boat kit. I busted the plastic part of my oar lock while on Munn Lake in Lacey. The part I am talking about is in the picture I have attached.. I found the pic on this forum it is not my boat..

IMG_0431_zps4daca45a.jpg

This is a picture of the part that broke on my pontoon... This one is from my boat...

image.jpg

11. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

A perfect time for the sarcasm font.

12. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

Thanks for the post...Docstash has a thread
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/broken-pinned-oarlocks.95159/
    where he tried to get a count on the number of pin failures people have experienced with frameless toons. If I go the frame-less route on my next splurge, I probably will steer clear of this style. I can't imagine how I'd feel/react with a broken pin on even moderately technical moving water.

13. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

The pinned oar mounts suck! I've had 2 failures, currently having solid metal ones being machined to fit the mount. The oars have very little pull, HOWEVER, I took them to a local paddle manufacturer and he was able to make a lower aluminum shaft with a curved blade! They're AWESOME for being cheapos now!

14. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

dude - I will buy some, drop me a PM with the guy's contact info please/

15. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Fixed it for you!

Don't put Watermaster's or Outcast's oar mounts in the same category as they are much better and do not have this kind of failure problem.

16. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

I wouldn't trust any plastic pinned design in heavier water.

SpeyFitter likes this.
  17. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Hey! And I didn't even mention the time a friend and I floated down the lower Sol Duc in a plastic Sevalor Caravelle raft. Successfully, I might add.

Sg

stilly stalker and Derek Young like this.
  18. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Floated my Watermaster down the Dean twice now with no issues. Plastic parts are not the limiting factor. The boatman is.

Sg

19. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

Was that the Barbie edition Sevalor. That is one sexy raft

stilly stalker likes this.
  20. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Not here, sir

SpeyFitter likes this.