NFR How big is your turkey?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by PfleugerPhister, Nov 19, 2012.

1. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

On a serious note.. Large turkeys 16# and over are very difficult to cook effectively. By the time you get the bird thouroughy cooked the breast meat is so dry it is inedible. If we have a large group to feed I will cook two 10-12 pound birds. I will roast until the breast meat juices run clear. Often the thighs are not done at this point so I will cut them off and finish them in the microwave while I am slicing the perfectly juicy breast meat.
    Big Birds should be eliminated just ask Mitt.
    jesse

PfleugerPhister likes this.
  2. jesse, you'd be surprised how juicy the breasts of a big turkey are when smoked at relatively low heat over a pan of water. M-m-m-m-m-m-m...
    D

3. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Got my 12 lb. bird in the brine last night.
    3qts cold water
    2qts apple juice
    3 oranges quartered
    1 lb brown sugar
    3/4 C. kosher salt
    15 whole cloves
    6 cloves garlic
    6 bay leaves

Smells wonderful!!!

4. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Do you think that the spices and herbs change the flavor of more than the skin? I have brined my birds for several years but have used just salt and water the last few times. I haven't noticed a difference between the complex brines and just the saltwater brine.
    I know that brining makes a difference, the bird is much juicier especially the breast meat.

5. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Jesse, I think it does. We brine for 2 days, but we also use a needler which I think helps.

6. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

I've never done it any other way so I can't say with any authority that it makes a big difference, but I would think it does since the brine is getting into the cavity of the bird also. If nothing else, it makes me appear to know what I'm doing, even if that is NOT the case!:D

Bothellfisher likes this.
  7. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

22.6 lb bird
    Citrus wet brine started soaking yesterday

8. NukeLDO

NukeLDO Member

Venison chops with parsnips and turnips, fresh green beans, summer squash (all veggies from the garden), pecan pie (pecans fresh off the tree in my back yard)....and my 20 year old daughter coming to visit.

9. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Mine must have been part steelhead--long distance release. Free range bastard! I'd guess it went a good 15 pounds, seeing what it did to the oak fly.

10. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

>>>>> 8 - 15 lb. Turkey >>>>> 1 cup melted butter >>>>> 1 cup stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is Good) >>>>> 1 cup un-popped popcorn (ORVILLE REDENBACHER'S LOW FAT IS BEST) >>>>> Salt/pepper to taste >>>>> >>>>> Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush turkey well with melted butter, salt, and pepper. >>>>> >>>>> Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn. Place in baking pan making sure the neck end is toward the front of the oven, not the back. >>>>> >>>>> After about 4 hours listen for the popping sounds. >>>>> >>>>> When the turkey's ass blows the oven door open and the bird flies across the room,.... it's done. >>>>> >> And you thought I couldn’t cook..
    :D

11. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

1lb. Sliced thin. Resealabe and reusable package.

12. PfleugerPhister

PfleugerPhister Active Member

I've had mine cold smoking on top of the wood stove vent all week. Should be nice and moist with all that rain.

13. wa_desert_rat

wa_desert_rat Active Member

I shot our Thanksgiving turkey this year. Scared the crap out of everyone close to the frozen food aisle of Safeway but at least I didn't need a license. :D

Craig

Irafly and Jason Rolfe like this.
  14. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Would have liked to try a turduckenig this year. But we decided to go with a 14 lb maple roasted bird instead. Smoking a coho all day for dessert though.

15. rymo

rymo Member

Interesting info on brining here (http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/chicken_turkey_duck/ultimate_smoked_turkey.html) - sounds like brining is less effective than injecting (seems obvious), and isn't worth the time/hassle. He recommends a wet rub with oil and herbs put under the skin - apparently the oil helps the herbs infuse into the meat, vs water/salt that mostly sit on top.

I used this method this year and it produced the best turkey I've ever had. I had deep fried for the previous 5-6 years, but this was far better, more flavorful and moist. I was the hero!

--Ryan

16. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

I celebrate Thanksgiving and Fakesgiving (a specific family holiday that involves a day that is not a Thursday and instead of giving thanks, we talk about the things we are FAKEFUL for like closed seasons on our favorite bodies of waters to fish). The Fakesgiving bird is 16 lbs and will be cooked on Sunday. It is also brining for 24 hours starting tomorrow.