How did you learn . . .

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Salmo_g, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Skilly Member

Winlock, WA.
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Struggled on my own when I lived in Prinevill, when I moved to Winlock and the Cow one of the local guys ( Spey God) Gene Gene the casting machine felt sorry for me and took me under his wing. Now I can fling this thing.:thumb:

Skilly
  2. gbeeman Active Member

Kennewick WA
    Ratings: +35 / 0
    Dec Hogan. I took a guided trip with him on the Skagit several years ago with the express purpose of learning to spey cast. He was a very good teacher. I since have followed up with guided trips with Ed Ward and Brian Silvey. Evereytime I fish with one of these guys my casting gets better. Other than that it's just time on the water.

GBeeman
  3. Ed D Member

Fed Way, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Took a class through Puget Sound Fly Co. Great investment! I'd hate to go through that learning curve w/out some more formal help
    -Ed
  4. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +714 / 2
    Self taught. Too proud to admit that I don't know it all and get a lesson.;)

I did fish with JD Love and he helped out a bit. But, I think he realized my bad habits were etched in stone so he kept saying nice cast.

First rod was a Loomis I bought quite a few years ago from Mike at Ted's. After wasting money on "a few lines" I finally got it lined properly. Again, too proud to ask someone that could have dialed me in the first time. Lots of trial and error on rods and lines. Lucky enough to spend 100+ days a year on the water flailing away. I'd consider myself a better fisherman than I am caster and that's ok with me. A couple different casts is all I need to get my fly where I want it to be.

Having said all that, I think it's time for a couple lessons. My joints aren't getting any younger and the easier I can make things the better off I'll be.:thumb:
  5. John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Olympia
    Ratings: +180 / 1
    Steve Buckner

Jim Rusher

James Mello ( :p )

Simon Gawsworths Modern Spey Casting DVD

Steve took me aside last year on the O.P. and spent time showing me the ropes on his rod. I fell in love with the two hander that moment. I don't know if it was Steves cute butt in his Simms waders or the 14 foot rod. :p :p :p
  6. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
  7. Gary Thayer Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Took semi-private lessons from Aaron, he is dedicated to producing competent Spey casters, plus offers a variety of rods to train upon. I feel I benefited from these lessons in a relatively short time to a point of competence where I could feel comfortable on both banks of the river using the Skagit system.

GT
  8. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    I guess I really am the 'old greying guy' around here. Back in the mid-1950's from "Mr. Coles" on a green heart rod. If you've never used one, trust me, they're just as heavy as you think (but at 10 or 12 anything would be 'heavy':hmmm: ). Silk line and all.

Second introduction was Sage's intro of the 9wt "Brownie" back about 1984-1985. Purchased the rod direct from Sage as no one carried (or would order for that matter) in California. Gather it was #4 in the open production run. From that point on it was 'self taught' with a good dose of real instruction from Steve Choate and Way Yin at the Charity Spey Casting Clinics.
  9. Hal Eckert Member

West GLs
    Yep your the oldest for sureiagree :p

Started in 2001 with spey rods, but was doing some basic spey casts with single hander in the 90s. Took one lesson in 2002 at a spey clave since then all books, video, internet sites, and self teaching.

:beer1:

BG
  10. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    Thanks Hal, I appreciate your support; that said, 'dirt is older,' but not by much.
  11. solduc New Member

beaver, wa.
    Salmo
    Never had the attention span to watch the videos or read the books. Mostly self taught through watching others and spending a lifetime on the river.

Late 70's ran into a guy on Lower Sol Duc toting an 18 ft carbon fiber rod he'd picked up in the U.K.. I'm sure you know him. Knapsack had a tape player and he'd hit the play button whenever he hooked a fish.. music of Mozart on a late Spring morning led me to Eric and his long rod. Anyway wasn't impressed with the big cumbersome rod, except when he finished a run , he'd often strap an ambassadeuor 5000 to his rod and refish the drift with float and spin n glo.

Early 80's I was a spending lots of time on Snake and Grande Ronde. One October morning a VW van pulls up to Hellers Bar. Jimmy Green and another fellow (I can't recall his name) stepped out and assembled some 16 ft rods that Jim had designed. Still too much rod for me, but more impressed this time, and within the year picked up the long rod and made serious attempts and learning to cast. Still learning, but have had the occasion to watch and fish with some of the spey casting luminaries in the years since.
  12. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,612 / 0
    Solduc,

I did know Eric. He worked on the OP for Jeff Cedarholm in 79 and 80 and found his true religion on the Duc. I know that he had a 12' Sharpes that he picked up when he was in the UK and a 12' Fenwick that was made mostly for the European market. I saw him fishing those rods on the NF Stilly when I first met him. I never saw the 18 footer.

My first Spey rod was one of Jimmy's 16' prototype blanks. I called it the thunderstick. The first steelhead I caught on it was a 6# hatchery dink. I was roll casting along a brushy bank and had no place to land the fish. So I reeled it up to within a few feet of the rod tip, and like it was a little tiddler, I picked up the rod with steelhead dangling below the tip, and derricked it over the streamside brush and layed the fish on the bank behind the brush. I set the rod down and then walked up the bank and around the brush to retrieve the fish. I knew then and there it was more rod than I wanted to fish with on a regular basis.

Small world.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.