how do I add color to bead chain?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by hikepat, Mar 17, 2005.

1. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    In my line of work I often get sections of free brass or nickle colored bead chain. Is there an easy way to get it to be diffrent colors. I seem to remember reading some where that you can use gun bluing chemical to get them some what black but is there other ways to get them really black? What about other colors like Red or Green. It seems like paint would come off pretty easy but maybe I am wrong. Have any of you out there tried changing the color of bead chain?

2. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    There was this stuff I bought when I was stuck in Baltimore that worked pretty good. It was a colored powder that came in a plastic jar. All you had to do was hold the dumbell eye with a pair of tweezers or with a wire, heat it with a lighter, and briefly dunk it into the powder. When you pull it out, it will be covered with a very hard coat of paint. Sometimes the paint looks a little pebbly, but a quick pass with a flame will smooth it all out. The only part of the dumbell that looks a little shoddy is the middle, where you were holding it. That just ends up getting covered with thread.

Sadly, the one jar I had was lost when I loaned it out to someone I didn't know that well. Now I don't know what the name of the stuff is called. Fortunately, I think I might have seen the powder paint up at the Hook, Line, and Sinker tackle shop, up in South Arlington. Just take the Smokey Point exit off of I-5 and head east. You'll see the shop over on the right, behind a car wash, when you can see the fence for the airport on your left.

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    The stuff you're thinking of is called Powder Paint by Pro-Tec. Can be found at most sporting goods stores. If you're going to use it, don't use an open flame. If you have alot and plan to constently get more of the chain. I would go to your hardware store and buy the heat guns found in the paint aisle. They sell them as paint strippers. I have a wagner that has two settings. Experiment with the gun. I have it down pretty good now (you can use a hotplate too, but I found the gun works better). Just hit with the gun and drop into the powder. With chain, I'd suggest getting a wide dish where you can lay it out easier. Get it just hot enough where it'll coat up for you. I like it where it's just a tad powderlike. Then I rehit with the heat gun where it evenly coats it. Works really good, then just put in the oven and bake it. Hard as a rock.

4. Jeremy Husby

Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Media:
    Home Page:
    If you can find ones made of Aluminum you can Anodize them, ohhh pretty, Powder coating is a option but the stardard jig powder coating (Pro-tec) will chip off quick if done WRONG (sticks to lead like a champ but on harden metal not so great compared to others) on most store bought bead chains, use some steel wool on them first. And take Jerry's advice, plan and do it the RIGHT WAY, don't cut corners when powder coating it only ends with chips and a p-ed off end user. If you like powder coating I suggest buying a powder gun ($100) it charges the object with a - charge and the gun gives the the powder a + charge and with the magic of air you spay a little powder and presto it's stuck to the object and ready to bake. But I would suggest using a good metal spay paint, look for "Krylon Metallic Finishes" or "VHT" it is the best and will last the longest they have a epoxy base paint too, yes epoxy, "VHT Epoxy Plate Finish" but only comes in three colors one being Blue :thumb: just my 2ยข

5. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Media:
  6. Preston

Preston Active Member

I'd go with Flytire. brass, nickel and black beadchain is readily available at most fly shops, and at hardware stores for pennies per foot.