How do waves effect SRC feeding

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by South Sound, Mar 4, 2004.

1. South Sound

South Sound Member

Hello Everyone,
    I went out today and the winds were very strong. I had waves crashing into me that were about 2-3 feet tall. The water was off color due to the waves. I was wondering how this effects the searuns? Am I wasting my time being out there under such conditions, or will I just look foolish until I start hooking up? Just wondering.
    Thanks,
    Josh

2. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

I've never had too much of a problem with waves affecting my popper on top but if you are fishing a sunken fly you need to use an intermediate line (not tip) to negate the wave action upon your fly.

Also, if the waves are up, fish clear water not brown water. The off-colored water definitely affects feeding.

Leland.

3. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

If there are 2-3 foot waves, I avoid those conditions when fishing Puget Sound. The associated winds usually make it difficult to cast plus having a clouser minnow hit your rod or back is unnerving.

A cloudy,calm day with nice tide current is the best for SRC.

4. Wakemaster

Wakemaster New Member

As others are suggesting, the waves, in and of themselves probably bother the angler more than the fish. Leland's point about visibility is spot on, as far as SRC finding a fly, but I suspect that they can find food relatively easily even under these circumstances. On rockier shores where fine sediment is not being churned up, SRCs love to feed in the breaking waves as the wave energy dislodges all manner of tasty morsels--especially amphipods and pillbugs that feed on and hide in the seaweed and eelgrass that accumulate right at the wave/tide line and gets rolled about by the wave action. I have seen cutts in 1-2 ft waves actually scoot out on the beach in pursuit of small baitfish and slither back in on the next wave--and do it repeatedly.

If can get your fly in the water there's always a chance!

:thumb

5. rockfish

rockfish Member

waves dont matter much if you can still fish because I have caught big srcs off piers in the wind but never ever fish cloudy, muddy water, if its muddy up close then clear 20 ft out then thats good. and it sure makes it easier to fish finding an area blocked from the wind.
    catch and release wild sculpins