How do you cook your steaks?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by IveofIone, Jan 24, 2013.

1. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

I eat steaks about 3 times a week and for years have been grilllng them over charcoal or on the gas grill when I am in a hurry. This winter there is so much snow that I have backed off of using charcoal because I don't want the smoke on the back porch. So the grill duties fell on the gas grill but it just isn't the same as charcoal.

Then recently I was watching a cooking show and saw how professional chefs can cook a pan seared steak. It really looked good to me so I tried it in a cast iron pan over the gas burner on my gas grill. I leave the steaks at room temperature for about 30 minutes and rub a little oil on them and sprinkle generously with kosher flake salt and fresh ground Tellicherry pepper. By starting with a real hot pan and then searing both sides the juices are sealed in and a nice crust forms on the steak. After a couple of minutes on each side the flame is reduced and the steak is finished at a lower temp with a few more minutes on each side. I butter finish all my steaks in the last few seconds of cooking for some added richness and flavor. They are just excellent.

Some guys sear the steak for two minutes a side over a hot flame then put pan and all into a 500 degree oven to finish cooking. I haven't tried that yet because I am so happy with the results I am getting right out of the pan. I think I have mastered the technique enough that this coming year I will be leaving my grill behind on fishing trips.

Anyone else pan searing their steaks? And if so is there anything you can add that might improve the process?

Ive

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I do mine that way all the time Ive. I even have an old Wagner Angus pan I use to sear then toss in oven.

3. wichaka

wichaka Active Member

Soooo, after they are seared, you finish cooking them in the pan...or put them on the grill for the rest of the time needed?

4. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

I oil/season room temp 1.5"-2" rib eyes about one hour before putting on a 700 degree searer. A couple of CAREFULLY attended minutes or less per side and they're ready to remove, butter (sometimes), cover with foil to rest for a few minutes. Usually rare-med rare. Anymore than that and I'm pissed and severely depressed for a while.
    If I have thinner rib eyes, I'll pan sear with a iron skillet as above.

5. Trapper Badovinac

Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Home Page:
    I cook steaks several different ways. Elk Steak Parmesan, Chicken Fried Steak (with garlic and chipotle), etc, but if I have a nice rib eye, my favorite is still grilled over wood.

[​IMG]

What I typically do is rub with Kosher salt, a four-pepper blend, and finely minced garlic. I sear them on the hot side of the fire and then move them to a less hot side until the middle reaches 150 F and a hot pink center. (This photo was taken at a car-camping camp ground)

When I grill for hunters or anglers, I typically have between 12 and 18 guests. I will then buy an ~15 pound boneless rib eye tip and cut it into steaks in camp. If someone wants a steak rare, I cut it thick. If they want it well done (why?) I'll cut it thinner. That way they all are ready at the same time.

[​IMG]

Then, I use a 36" x 18" Partner Firepan. I'll burn down wood to get a good bed of hot coals using fir if I can find it. Then just before I put the steaks on I throw some damp apple wood chips on. Depending on the temperature and the wood I have available (the photo above I'm in a t-shirt but I'll do that sometimes when I can see my breath.) I may add some charcoal briquets for more heat.

The wood gives it a great flavor and when I'm in camp I always have a large supply of it.

I like to let the steaks rest for a few minutes after I take them off the grill before serving.

My favorite mashed potatoes are boiled white potatoes with ~ 10% sweet potato mixed in, mashed with sour cream, Penzey's Fox Point seasoning, and butter.

I like the idea of melting some butter on the steaks at the last minute. Thanks for sharing that tip!

JesseCFowl likes this.
  6. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    From your description, I don't think your process needs improvement. Nice!

You take a grill when you go fishing? Is that to warm up the beef jerky? Seriously, I eat like a homeless person when I camp and fish (without the family anyway)....maybe I should dial it up this year.

7. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    I eat more slow cooked meats than steak but If I have a nice cut from a local ranch I like the cast iron pan method. I'll stick it in the oven to finish after the initial sear.

Trapper's method seem just about perfect. Lots of labor involved but that just makes it more fun.

8. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Media:
    Nothing is worse than a poorly cooked steak. I like the charcoal BBQ method in the summer. In the winter I've experimented with the cast iron pan method, but I've yet to get it dialed in. Thanks for the tips!

9. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Media:
    Like this...
    Ribeye medallion over charcoal with a little hickory for smoke. With potato salad, raspberry jello salad, a gin & tonic and the Gonzaga Basketball game...heaven! P1020280.JPG

Alex MacDonald and Steve Call like this.
  10. Porter

Porter Active Member

Kinda in same boat as you. I recently (year or so) converted to iron path method after watching bobby flay cook a flat iron steak on one of his shows. Since then I have experimented a little with seasonings but not method. I leave my steaks out about 60 minutes, read they will cook better if at room temperature, but mine are still cool to the touch when I throw them on. Oil/Salt/Pepper/Chicago Steak seasoning...near end I will melt or have room temp butter and use a self made herb brush...sage/rosemary,etc. and brush the butter on the steak. I have also used celery salt in place of salt and liked it very much. Garlic butter at the end for brushing is good too. Sometimes I will set the tip of my herb brush on top of the cooking steak to get it warm before I brush the butter...helps with the infusion some I think. However I usually stick to this, the better the cut, the simpler the ingredients...let the steak do its work. A lesser cut then I try to help it out some...including red wine, or some type of sauce.

11. Phil Fravel

Phil Fravel Friendly

Media:
    A really good cut of steak cooked Verry verry Rare, or Just carried through a warm room

12. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Cooking while fishing? Maybe a little :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yup, think some of us eat pretty good fishing. ;)

13. Dave Alberts

Dave Alberts Member

As usual Jerry...Very impressive!!

14. Phil Fravel

Phil Fravel Friendly

Media:
    After seeing those pictures. Jerry would you be my fishing partnet

15. David Dalan

Media:

Jerry, gas and groceries are on me...If your cooking. Don't care where, don't care when.

16. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    LOL. Anymore my camps are pretty much private. And the majority of the time they are now Project Healing Waters involved in one way or another.

PatrickH likes this.
  17. David Dalan

Media:
    Well, it's a great cause...worthy of a great spread. I guess I'll just have to eat my Jerky :D

18. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Well, I do still have my private camps. I have pretty much always cooked this way, mostly because it's how my Dad cooked in camp.

19. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    BTW, sorry for stealing the thread, carry on with steak talk. :)

20. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    Wow Jerry that looks delicious. I really like the hash with what looks like two dozen eggs.