How Do You Learn To Cast With Your Non-Dominant Hand?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by LCnSac, Jul 21, 2014.

1. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Dislocated my shoulder in Oregon three weeks ago, and saw the orthopedist today. This has been an ongoing problem since 1967, but it's been about 10 years since the last one and he couldn't understand why it happened, given the circumstances, which was just a non serious slip and fall.

He started questing me what I was doing, and I said I was getting ready to fly fish. BINGO. He's a fly fisherman too, and told me that casting with that arm is the worst possible motion for my gimped up shoulder, and, along with some PT, I have to learn how to cast with my left arm.

Any tips on how to start, other than just doing it over and over, would be appreciated. Glad I'm avoiding surgery, but not looking forward to starting over as the few times I've tried being a lefty have been pretty pitiful. Thanks!

2. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
  3. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Luke, that is encouraging, thank you.

Luke77 likes this.
  4. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Dumb question--will I have to switch all the reels over to right hand retrieve?

5. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    Nope. I am left hand dominant caster and have all my reels set to left hand retrieve as well.

6. psycho

psycho Active Member

Practice, practice and more practice, that is how I did it.:D

Ed Call and weiliwen like this.
  7. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    I broke my right wrist in college and needed to learn how to do all sorts of things with my non-dominate hand. Casting really didn't take as long as I thought it would and by the end of few outings I could certainly manage well enough. Now I'm glad I did because there are times now where the wrist still bothers me and it is nice to have a bit of that muscle memory left. It is also helpful on the river when casting with my right is a bit too tight. It is a good skill to have. Good luck!

Once you cast by the way it is easy enough with your condition to just switch hands back to strip and to play the fish, so no problem with switching your reels over.

8. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    I took up spey because of tendentious. I cast right and when it starts to hurt I just switch to single hand spey or roll casts.

9. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

I'm in the same boat as I don't know if my right shoulder will ever support fly casting again. I start therapy tomorrow and in about a month I should know whether or not I'll be a lefty from here on out. My right elbow and hand are still pretty stiff and painful so I have thought of converting over to being left handed. I have been surprised at how fast I learned to use my left hand in the past month. I'm pretty sure I can convert if I have to.

In my case however I will convert all my lines to right hand retrieve if I have to. I probably have about 9 reels and twice that many spools but I will have all winter to get it done so it won't be a big deal. I hate changing hands when I cast as so many fish take the second the fly hits the water.

Sorry to hear about your shoulder. It's no fun being a one armed bandit. But now you will have to abide by the old racers adage: "Run What You Brung". In your case it is a good left shoulder. Good luck and keep us posted on the learning curve.

Ive

10. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Thanks Ive but I think YOUR learning curve and rehab progress is what we want to see more than anything.

11. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    I also had some tendentious tendonitis in my left elbow (I'm left handed) several years ago and started learning how to cast with my right arm. I made pretty good progress in a relatively short time, but then the tendonitis healed up and I went back to casting with my dominant arm. I started by water loading the cast to get the feel in my right arm and moved from there to false casting. It has come in handy recently as I'm trying to teach my 8-yr old grandson to cast.
    D

12. weiliwen

weiliwen Active Member

Media:
    I've always been quasi-ambidextrous (bats right, throws left, etc), and when I began fly fishing, I just used whichever arm would get me into the corner of the stream best, would work best with the prevailing wind, etc. About half my reels are left-hand retrieve, about half the opposite - I just never bothered to wind them one way or another on purpose. I have noticed that with my left hand, I get better distance, and with my right, more accuracy. FYI, I play racquetball and squash, and switch hands so I rarely hit a backhand. I can tell you, THAT confuses an opponent. I even had one complain, but when a professional squash referee had a clinic, he said there's no rule saying you have to keep the racket in one hand!

13. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    As long as your non dominant hand and arm does not have any significant problems you should be able to learn to cast on that side easily. One suggestion that I have for you is for you to get some good, qualified, fly casting instruction by working with a good casting teacher. You will avoid a lot of problems and progress quickly this way. Even some of the best casters will get coached sometimes. One issue that may come up is that, if you are right handed to begin with, you are likely right eye dominant as well. (Or visa versa). And when you begin casting with your non dominant hand, that hand will tend to cross over to your dominant side during the stroke, with your hand ending up in line with the dominant eye. This will seriously impede your casting. A good casting instructor will help you get beyond this. Otherwise it is simply a matter of practice, practice, practice. And make sure that you are practicing the correct form of stroke, so you are not teaching yourself to do a really good job of casting badly. http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

Greg Armstrong likes this.
  14. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    I have been learning to use the wrong (right) arm so I can get a good drift/cast anywhere. I started switching just in high-stick situations, then eventually started roll casting. Now I am working on using my new line hand and overhead casting. Re-learning bit by bit keeps it from feeling awkward.

15. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

A work associate of mine managed an assembly line in a fuel manufacturing facility for GE.
    They found that it took about 3,000 evolutions with the non-dominate hand before a worker developed comfort and competent off hand assembly ability. My guess is that with an hour a day 3-times a week for a month and you will be very good with both hands.

16. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

By the time I was 14 I was pretty good with either hand...but I guess we're talking about flycasting...so I dunno.

Steve Slater likes this.
  17. 2506

2506 Active Member

Start brushing your teeth with your non-dominant hand. High-school basketball coach's advice to get your other hand into the mix. Surprisingly effective.

18. riseform

riseform Active Member

Media:
    I suspect this would actually be a good indication for an Echo micro practice rod.

19. Steve Slater

Steve Slater Member

Doesn't exactly answer the question, but when I feel the need to cast from the other side of my body, I usually turn around and present the fly on the back cast. Would definitely be more elegant to get good with my left hand, though.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  20. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    I spent an hour thirty at a park today practicing left handed casting. You guys are right; it's not as tough as I thought. I'm not a great distance caster, but without hauls, which so far are a complete fail with my left hand, I was able to get within a foot of a soda can at 45 feet. That's not where I want to be, but OK for the first run.

I smacked my left shoulder and head a few times, which I never do right handed, so I'm assuming I'm somehow not in a straight casting line. I don't know why but I can correct it. I can do this! Thanks for all the wonderful tips. ~John