How do you set up your nymph, indicator when using a switch rod..

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by golfman65, Feb 21, 2010.

1. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

Media:
    Airflo Ridge indicator taper one line weight heavy, level 12lb flouro mono leader two flies #7 shot

2. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Media:
    Why don't you just stick the indi rig it on the end of a skagit line ?

3. Robert B. Meiser

Robert B. Meiser New Member

Paul,

You and I have discussed this topic numerous times over the past months ...

In truth you can use any correctly matched floating Scandi head for indy nymph presentation with the short two handed rod, and I have sent you an ideal line for this with the recently sent rod.

This line will swing fish as well as it will indy fish <> If that is what you'll wish to do with it.

... But if you wish to indy fish this line <> You do not use Poly Leaders: You use conventional tapered mono leaders.

If you indy nymph with a single handed fly rod you'd not use Poly Leaders <> So why would you use them with a two handed rod ?

If you are having problems with delivering Poly leaders with this rod/line you are probably using Poly Leaders that are too heavy and/or too long for the line to carry.

The line sent is of the correct length and perfectly grain matched for the rod, and for your swing fishing; you can use Poly Leaders of floating all the way to extra fast sink, but it would be best to use Poly Leaders under 10' in length and under 65 grains in weight.

Meiz

4. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Yeah, Yup gotta cha....polyleaders are new to me as odd as that sounds..have used t-6 and 8 so long....The line is fantastic bob..and you know me so to say that it is a sweet match...I'm thinking though maybe my indicators are two big?
    (handed rod over for pic only)

5. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Media:
    May also need to use a thicker butt section to turn over the indicator, 20-30# mono works great. If you keep the indicator within a foot or so from the mainline and leader connection a smaller butt section works but doesn't allow for much depth adjustment.

6. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Thanks G-man! Always there with the eye-candy~

I'll second the Ambush - it's a great line for throwing heavy bugs and indicators, poly tips, etc. Very good lenght for light switch rods.

I used an 8wt Ambush and 10' fast sinking poly on the TFO 11' switch for big pinks in the Skagit last summer and it rocked.

The line is a cross between Scandi and Skagit - tapered like a Skandi but with a heavier tip to enable throwing big bulky indicators, weighed flies, etc with ease.

Brian

7. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    Indicators w/ a spey rig??? I have to agree w/ Sean, my meat pole is a single hand 8 weight XP.

8. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    weak! i was stoked to try it out. curious what rod you threw it with? thanks dude.

9. sean sick avatar....

10. treefrog

treefrog Dan Hall

I use an Elkhorn switch rod (11' 5/6) http://www.elkhornflyrodandreel.com/flyrods/spey.cfm with a Beulah elixir 5/6, 295 gr line, and I take off the 10 ft floating poly leader when indicator fishing replacing it w/ a 3 ft butt section of 20 # Maxima leader to which I attach 10 pound Vanish flurocarbon (6 to 8 ft) to #4 DB Stonefly then attach to the bend of the #4 hook 18 inches of 8 or 6 pound Vanish flurocarbon and tie on a smaller nymph. I use the 3/4" Thingamabobber on the Maxima section. I use the uni-knot or Duncan Loop knot (same knot) to each fly, leaving a loop so the fly freely swings during the drift. Everyone has their favorite tippet material, but I have used Berkley Vanish for years. It is inexpensive and hasn't failed me any more than other 'premium' leader materials I have tried.

11. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Media:

12. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

Media:
    The new generation II line is fixed and will be out very shortly. Rear taper is fixed as well as some other changes. Keep in mind that this line is desinged for huge drifts and mending capabilities. If you fish all day within 30' then stick with a single hander. Just my two cents , fished the sage indicator taper this weekend and was more than not impressed. I think that you would have to overline it about four to five line weights to cast any amount of junk with a two handed cast.

13. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    What I dont get (and please fill me in Matney, or anyone) is how it is possible to effectively fish a bobber out 40 or 50 feet in front of you..... I can understand mending and controlling at a distance DOWNSTREAM of you, But I cant think of a situation I have fished where it made sense to throw that much line across the currents. Seems like there is just too much going on to get an effective drift. That said, I fish my switch rod with a oversized rio nymph line. Seems to work well in close, but if you have a drift in mind that you want to reach way out to, Id consider something else (spey dicator ect).

14. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

Media:
    You know that soft seam on the other side of the river that you can't wade to.....well if you could cast over there say 50 feet, you could never get a drift with the faster current in the middle and a single hand rod correct? Well lets say you could make that cast and then be able to vertically stack mend another 30 -80 feet of line in a vertical line down that seam while holding your running line up out of the faster middle water(added length of two handed rods benifit) and stack mending it all the way down the seam..it is more like running drifts with a float rod set up.....hence why it is looked down upon. It's a little hard for me to explain but you really can fish a lot more lines and drifts that previously you would not even try to fish. It (for me) is a lot less work to use a two-hander when nymphing a long leader, lots of weight, and double junk set ups, and i can fish pretty much everything i want with less effort of moving my postion and wading a bunch. For me it is far more efficient that a single hand rod. Exceptions are small water, and fishing in really close to you. Not enough room for the big sticks.

15. surfnfish

surfnfish Member

Media:
    Albums:
    jmwfish is right on the money..I'm one of those Oregon coastal fly guys, and the Rio Salmon/Steelhead line is a great line for nymph work. It was originally designed as a one handed spey line, and has proven to be a great GP line for switch rods as well..I use an Echo 10107 SR with a 9 wt. rio S/S, (the fly shop only had a 9 wt. in, otherwise would have gotten the 10 wt.) and it will roll cast a nymph set up just fine. Ands a great line for DH overhead casting as well...