How do you take pics alone?

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by Panhandle, Jun 2, 2008.

1. hedburner

hedburner Member

Media:
    Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    I've killed three cameras taking them fishing and sooner or later I'll probably kill the one I just bought.

2. Bryan Lowrie

Bryan Lowrie New Member

I usually fish alone so as a result my camera stays on my chest for the most part because like Salmo g says- "Its a pain in the ass to do" and you have to think about the well being of the fish. On the other hand sometime things work out and it can be done quickly with no harm done to the fish if it is cooperative. Set your rod down beside fish, take a couple quick pics and release the fish. This isn't the norm though in my experience. Sthd pic is from last Sept and Cutt pic is from last months 2wk trout trip to the Charlottes.

3. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    I just use a quick release around my neck and put the camera in my front pocket. Easy not a hassle at all !!!

4. Abel1

Abel1 New Member

Spot on Bryan, It's just that simple.
    I have spent many years fishing without a camera, Sometimes it is nice to see that fish again. Memory has a way of distorting things, you know.

5. Abel1

Abel1 New Member

Come on! Many times you do not have a fishing partner to take that HERO shot?
    F..k Off! It's never about you dude? It's about the FISH..... If I had only taken more pictures!

6. rattlesnakeflyguy

rattlesnakeflyguy Harrison

I go ashore, and get that camera under the water and snap, snap!

7. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Calvin and Joe, you guys bring up a good point. Where does one go to make friends? :ray1:

8. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

I fish alone a lot and end up with a lot of scenery pictures. I have a "weather proof" camera and hang it inside my waders with a shoulder stap through the lanyard. It's easily accessible for quick shots. For fish I release the best I'm willing to try is a pic of them laying in the shallows. Sometimes they turn out ok, sometimes they're crappy. If I keep a fish then I can use the timer for that hero shot of a mighty hatchery fish.

9. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    I go to Montana to make friends !!:beer1::beer1:

10. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    As far as water resistance I slip my little digital inside a sandwich zip-lock bag and in my front chest pocket for quickie shots. Nothin like a quickie!

11. Rob Zelk

Rob Zelk I swing, therefore i am.

Media:
    Who needs friends ;) Put your camera on a sturdy rock or get a small tripod, know your camera like the back of your hand before you ever attempt this, use the timer, know how to work your camera with one hand really well, so you can keep the fish in the water holding it by the tail with the other... Works fine as long as you use the right function and take in account glare angles. I'd suggest practice using sticks, or even better fish from the store, or one you've already bonked. Having friends makes it easier, but then you have to worry about them knowing how to shoot well. These are all solo shots attached... I don't condone this unless you're really know your camera and really know how to handle fish. Keep them in clean water, not murky junk, and if you think you're taking too long, you have already taken too long; just let the fish go... I pick a good spot with nice camera rock near by and turn my camera on and set it on the rock just prior to landing the fish. Tail the fish, press the button, keep the fish in the water until the beep, the rest is history.

12. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Rob, I have to say I'm both impressed and mystified. Do you set up the camera before you start fishing, or actually set the thing on a rock or tripod of sticks once the fish is in hand. That sounds insanely complicated and fragile. From what you are saying, you would have to test the position of the camera before you even caught the fish. I can't imagine you could do it based on what you're saying while the fish is on, or in hand. You my friend are an amazing fishing multi tasker.

13. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    it's not as hard as you would think, and like rob said practice is good. if you know how far away you need to be from your camera to get a good shot ahead of time you just set the timer, step back and you are good.

14. Rob Zelk

Media:
    A tripod is what I've used predominantly in the past, and I usually just have it around my neck... But all the photos you see above there were taken just setting my camera on a rock believe it or not. The ones below were taken with the tripod. I've never wrecked a camera doing this, which is a miracle. But yes, during the end of the fight, I look for a spot, and sometimes there are no rocks around, and I have to forget about the photo. Doing this is a good way to loose a fish, I have first hand experience. It is multitasking at its best, thats why I don't recommend doing this unless you can perform in a timely manner.

15. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Rob,
    Those are awesome photos! very skillful!!:thumb:

16. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Rob,

I'm also impressed. Good work! But in the end, what you have is a collection of hero shots. What do you do with them? I find that the ones I've taken are just stashed away in a box that almost never gets looked at.

Sg

17. rattlesnakeflyguy

rattlesnakeflyguy Harrison

Nice fish Rob! Great idea as well.
    The waterproof cameras are so good and easy to use as well.

18. Rob Zelk

Media:
    Salmo G,

Yes, taking pictures is a funny thing. So why do we all take pictures? Is it to show our fellow man or woman? I haven't been carrying my camera quite as often over the last year, or made it a point to photo every fish I catch, but there are some good things about photos, and there are some fish that deserve a photo. I like them because they can take me back to a day, a time, a place, and an experience and jog my foggy mind ;) Photos can remind me of smells of the autumn, spring or summer. They can remind me of the true excitement I was feeling, the shaking hands! I think thats why I like photos so much.

But when you don't photo a fish there is a secrecy that is between you and your Creator, you and the fish, you and the river. No one can every know that experience, no matter how much you try to tell someone about it. And when it all boils down to it, you can't take your photos with you to the other side! For me, its my hobby; its a challenge because it never works out quite how you planned, many times the results can be so so, but sometimes you really Get It! A hero shot is just a fancy name for capturing the moment as it is but with the person. Its the same with any shot just capturing the moment in anther way. I don't really like the term hero shot, they are all just shots to me.

19. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    So we can show our grandkids what steelhead used to be.

I agree, some nice solo shots Rob.

20. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    iagree i look at my old photos all the time, great to think about the fishing trips, friendships, etc. at the same time though i think i could tell you without a picture every run i have hooked a fish of memory out of, which stick it was behind, what fly, etc.

I also agree with the challenging aspect of photography, it's definitely something that i wish i was better at, and am working at improving on.