How do you tie your two fly rig for trolling/stripping?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by LCnSac, Jun 25, 2014.

1. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

My go to combo is a wiggle tail, rufus, or leech as the first fly, then a Prince attached with 18"-24" or so of tippet to the hook bend of the first fly for the point fly.

What I've noticed over the years is that at least 80% of my fish come on the point fly, usually a Prince. In one lake virtually all Rainbows take the first fly, the streamer, and the cutties take the point fly and never the streamer, but that's the only exception that comes to mind.

Sometimes I wonder if using the streamer is worth the effort if they are keying on the Prince. I also wonder if the streamer acts as an attractor and they end up preferring the nymph, and, if using the hook bend to secure the second fly tippet rather than attaching the streamer with a longer tag from the blood knot would give better action and results for the streamer.

What do you do, and what have you found to be the best two fly rig?

2. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

You're ok running off the hook bend, good as anything. Honestly I found that the best two fly setup is one fly. 6 of 1 to the fish so the difference is a matter of convenience.

If you're getting hit more on one vs the other I'm betting it's more about the closest fly or direction the fish came from vs a liking to one of them. Usually they're not as selective as we might think.

LCnSac and dflett68 like this.
  3. Clumsy Carp

Clumsy Carp New Member

My standard two-fly setup, especially when fishing a lake for the first time, is a small (size 10-12) black beadhead wooly bugger tied on to 3x or 4x tippet with a non-slip mono loop. 18-24" behind that I use an unweighted size 18 pheasant tail nymph tied on to 4x or 5x tippet with another non-slip mono loop. No secrets here, but it really does work well. I'd guess that 3/4 of the fish hit the nymph.

LCnSac likes this.
  4. Clumsy Carp

Clumsy Carp New Member

Fluorcarbon Plus for the tippet always.

5. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

I like to go 2 flies and usually I get a 50:50 or 60:40 mix. My favorite is a size 8 black bunny leach with red and pearl KF topping and a size 14 six pack tied 20" off of the hook bend. Sometimes I'll trail a camo carey insterad of the six pack

6. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

What the hell is a six pack?? Northwesterners! You people relate to alcohol too much ;-)

7. tyeoneon

tyeoneon Active Member

Depending on water temp, I usually troll a six pack of PBR 18-24" behind the boat. When things cool down a bit, I'll switch to a fifth!

8. Gary Knowels

LCnSac likes this.
  9. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Great looking fly--probably could get almost the same thing done with a soft hackle?

10. Gary Knowels

Probably as that is essentially what it is. It works, and it was the first fly I ever caught a fish on and I've caught more lake fish on that than any other fly so it is a definite confidence fly for me.

11. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

I like that fly. I'm unclear on "self bodied." Elaborate? I'd like to tie some up for Oregon next week.

12. Gary Knowels

Use 6-7 PT fibers for the tail. it is important to pick the longer fibers from the tail because after tying them in, use the butts to wrap up the body of the fly. In this way the tail and body are one piece. keeps the profile slim and avoids a bump at the hook bend and eliminates a step.

13. Gary Knowels

Both yellow and natural work. Most times when one works, the other does as well. I have run into certain lakes that one will work and the other won't though. The natural tends to work better in tannic water.

14. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Got it, thx.

15. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

I tie my back fly off of the eye of the first fly. This keeps the hook open. I also tend to put my larger fly as my back fly. I've seen this create a sense of competition. Fish will attack the top fly first thinking the other animal might get to it first. Although I have also seen fish attack the back fly as well. If I have fished an area for a bit and things have slowed, I will switched it up to see what happens. Sometimes that will do the trick.

golfman44 and GAT like this.
  16. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Bugger with a trailer tied with an improved clinch in the bend of the lead fly. A simple, boring combo and a lazy knot...but it has worked for a very long time. I fall squarely into the old school, if it ain't broke don't fix it, if it's working don't break it group. :)

My last trip to DF's they seemed to switch which fly was their favorite as the timed changed... but overall seems like a 50/50 split.

Steve Unwin likes this.
  17. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Nah, they relate to beer. Remember the wine industry only showed up in the northwest a couple of decades ago.

Hey, a friend told me I need to visit that Napa Valley place down in California. He was impressed...said it was the Walla Walla of California....is that true??

Ok, on a two fly rig.....80/20 the fish take the SECOND fly. What does that mean?? I always put the streamer second and the nymph first thinking it was more "natural".....but the fish seem to prefer the second fly no matter what.

18. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

I'd have replied sooner, but I had to mop the beer off my screen after reading the above.Then I had to copy paste it to Facebook. With all respect, and from one who still considers himself a Northwesterner, that's kind of like saying Manhattan is the Kansas City of New York.

Napa Valley is a huge deal that has been world famous for decades, and yes I'd recommend a visit. It's beautiful country, and some of the restaurants (French Laundry for example) are known worldwide.

We're about an hour away, and I make sure I get there about every 10 years. It's touristy, expensive, and can be a little snooty but not bad in most places. I don't know what you're doing up there, but here you have to pay for wine tasting now. We went a few weeks ago and I think between wine tasting, lunch, and a great but casual dinner it was about $500 for three of us. That will not buy two plates at French Laundry though, so perspective….

If you do come down, there are lots of other wineries and vineyards in the foothills too, but none even remotely as famous as Napa Valley.

** after posting, it occurred to me you might have been facetious. If so, you got me good!

Oh--the two fly rig! You've switch them around to experiment? That's interesting…the second fly. Wonder what would happen if we used just one?

19. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

I think I catch the same amount of fish....maybe a couple more fishing with one fly. I think it has to do with the time spent untangling the two flies.

As I get older I play with "experiments". That was the deal with two flies.

I read a real "scientific" paper on PowerBait. Said that PoweBait was the only scent that trigger trout response.

So I tried it with the two fly set-up. That didn't work either. So much for PowerBait.

I guess what it comes down to...is I need to quit farting around and FISH.

20. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

No, you've obviously caught a lot of fish over the years and can afford the luxury of screwing with stuff just to see. I do the same thing with planted trout. After you catch a few clones it can get a bit boring. So you start tying weird stuff on just to see. I've tried the power bait too, even soaked flies overnight in some. Made no difference.