How far to travel?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Ryan Bradfield, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Ryan Bradfield Member

Ratings: +13 / 0
    I have to travel 2.5hrs to get to fish my waters.
    I was wondering how long others travel to their fishing spots?
  2. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    i remember one day i flew in from san diego when i was in the military. I left san diego at 530 am and was picked up by my father at SeaTac at bout 8:20. He says "so i cant get a trip booked this weeknd with the hatch, but i have an idea. Do you want to go to twin bridges and fish with rooster for the weekend?" Me: Hell yah. Stopped by the house in Kirkland at 9 and were on the road by 930. Ended up in twin bridges about 7 oclock with a few stops in between. Fished for two days on the Jefferson and big hole and was on the road by 5pm sunday. Arrived back in seattle about 2 am and was on my flight at 11 am Monday morning.

It was a pretty crazy weekend. 4 states in one day and epic fishing. I will drive about 5 to fish if need be for a day trip, although i normally make it an excuse to camp
    formerguide and Ryan Bradfield like this.
  3. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,615 / 0
    The range is from 1 to about 15 hours, with the average around 2. The highest price in fishing is time.

Sg
  4. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,652 / 0
    To where I like to fish at is 49 miles from my back door to the creek. Or another place is 14 miles away. I never figure in time, just miles. I take my time driving as I'm never in a hurry.
  5. Josh Stroud Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +67 / 0
    Usually 8 hours is about the max for me, but I can be easily tempted to drive further if the fishing is good...:)
  6. Peyton00 Active Member

Puyallup, Wa.
    Ratings: +290 / 0
    The local rivers i fish take about 1-1/2 to 2+ hours from door to riverside.
  7. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +372 / 0
    Beach--10 mins.
    Rivers--35-45 mins.
  8. Plecoptera Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    Depends on the time of year, but it ranges from 15 minutes to 15 hours. Longest I go for a day trip is about 2-3 hours. Anything longer and I'm camping & taking a few days off work.

Mid summer through fall there's lots of options within an hour.
  9. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,560 / 0
    It depends on what I plan to fish for. I can be on a bass lake in 20 minutes from my house. It takes more like an hour to reach either a good trout lake or river and it takes at least 2 to 3 hours to get to prime trout lakes and rivers.

I can be on good salmon/steelhead/SRC rivers in 45 minutes.
  10. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +307 / 0
    Trout - 15min to 1 hr
    Salmon - 10 min
    Steel - 1.5 to 6 hours
  11. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,560 / 0
    disregard... hit wrong key
  12. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +786 / 0
    For day trips, my rule of thumb is that I need to be able to fish at least as much time as I spend driving. So, 2 hrs each way is fine as long as I get at least 4 hrs on the water.
    D
  13. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +370 / 0
    My closest neat little spot for SRC (and chum during the season) is only 8 minutes away. Closest lake for playing with stockers is about 15. Lots of good fishing well within 60 minutes north, south, east and west!
  14. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    The Beaverhead is 5 minutes from my house. I could get there faster if I drove there.
  15. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I love the beav
    Gary Knowels likes this.
  16. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Why drive when you can walk?
  17. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Well I really can't walk to far. So I have to drive. But I only fish that river in the winter time. It's way to damn many out of state people there in the Summer.
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  18. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Just givin' you a hard time, OMJ! ;)
    Old Man likes this.
  19. Skyler Evans Active Member

Fort Lewis
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    My average river trip is around 2.5 hours to the first spot and i usually spend another hour or so in the car drivng to different rivers. I plan my day trips where i can get a few good hours on a river and then ill hit another one close by the second river is usually one that i have never fished before just looking for some new waters. For lakes the max i have driven is 3 hours and that was a 2 day fishing trip at pass lake while i spent time with my uncle.
  20. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    I know it. I can take it.:p:p