How far to travel?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Ryan Bradfield, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Media:
    I usually have pretty limited time to fish, so I try to limit drive time to around an hour each way.

2. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    One advantage is that i don't often fish in the dark. So the dark hours can be used for transportation. That being said, I'll drive 6 hours in a single day to get to and from a place I want to fish. Makes a 12-15 hour day. I find I've lost the motivation to day trip like that often, and I get dangerously tired driving home in the dark after a days fishing that started at "0-dark-thirty"

If I am staying someplace a for more than a day...well, that puts most of the western US in range. Realistically 16 hours in one direction (for a multi day trip) is probably as far as I would drive.

3. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    For a single-day trip, I'll drive 2.5 to 3 hours each way. That puts the Elwha, West End, Yakima, Leech, and Coldwater within range. That much driving for one day of fishing is not my favorite however. If I can camp and fish a second day, that is my preference. For a multi-day trip, I'll drive at least as far as 8 hours at a stretch, especially if it is going to be five days or more.

Steve

4. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Active Member

Media:
    64 mins from the left stall of my garage to the roadside put-in at Pass. 71 mins while the bridge was out.