How far to travel?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Ryan Bradfield, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

I usually have pretty limited time to fish, so I try to limit drive time to around an hour each way.

2. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

One advantage is that i don't often fish in the dark. So the dark hours can be used for transportation. That being said, I'll drive 6 hours in a single day to get to and from a place I want to fish. Makes a 12-15 hour day. I find I've lost the motivation to day trip like that often, and I get dangerously tired driving home in the dark after a days fishing that started at "0-dark-thirty"

If I am staying someplace a for more than a day...well, that puts most of the western US in range. Realistically 16 hours in one direction (for a multi day trip) is probably as far as I would drive.

3. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

For a single-day trip, I'll drive 2.5 to 3 hours each way. That puts the Elwha, West End, Yakima, Leech, and Coldwater within range. That much driving for one day of fishing is not my favorite however. If I can camp and fish a second day, that is my preference. For a multi-day trip, I'll drive at least as far as 8 hours at a stretch, especially if it is going to be five days or more.

Steve

4. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

64 mins from the left stall of my garage to the roadside put-in at Pass. 71 mins while the bridge was out.