how has the west side season been?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Clint F, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Clint F

Clint F Fly Fishing Youth

Hey guys, dont want spots or to know where your fishing. I was just wondering how everyones steelhead season has been on the wet side of the state? Including hatchery fish, i know the natives arnt in full swing yet, just wondering how everyone would rate the season so far.

Clint

2. Phil Fravel

Phil Fravel Friendly

Theres fish. Just seems a bit slower than last year. The returns also seem to be down

3. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

I can tell you this - there is very little chatter about it over here!!

4. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

slowest start to any of my winter steelhead seasons in years.

5. It was very slow this year both salmon. And steel

6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

4 trips, none hooked or landed. It could be better.

Sg

7. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Same here.

8. I didn't even catch a chum for my first time in 7 years

9. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

winter started well swinging up summer fish. fewer fish, but even far fewer people this year. enjoyed it more than past years. think my winter fishing this month will all be in oregon. less driving, more options, family too.

10. Clint F

Clint F Fly Fishing Youth

I know it was a miserable salmon year. I dont like to hear the numbers are down. Although i do like to hear there isnt too many people out there. I get back on wednesday. Hopefully i can have my best year yet. or atleast like 2 years ago. Thanks for the overall picture guys. Appreciate it.

Clint

11. pirate

pirate Member

Fishing is always good, the catching this year seems slow.

12. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

I did alright for salmon, but nothing for steelhead. Hoping I don't draw a blank for this winter on steelhead!

13. Dan Cuomo

Dan Cuomo Active Member

Slow. Low and clear hasn't helped. Out here yesterday, 2/2, and rivers are at nicer levels and color, but still slow except for the boat parade.

14. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

3 full days between the NF Nooksack and the Skagit with only a couple big bull trout to show for it! Rick

15. jsuyes

jsuyes FFF-CCI

I did well for Hatchery Steelhead in December. Fewer people too. Its been slow for natives.

16. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Average to slightly above average for hatchery fish on local rivers. Unfortunately, average isn't very good. Interesting to run into other guys on the water and hear their results. Over the last couple of months I ran into guys who seemed to know the rivers well and have a good handle on steelheading. Their experiences ranged from really shitty seasons to really good ones.
    My winter was somewhere in the middle. I found fish here and there but had plenty of skunk days too.

17. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

So many people are full of shit these days it's pointless to even ask.

18. Achilles

Achilles Member

Yes, I agree with Jesse. Truer words were never spoken.

19. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

LOL! Maybe you are just gaining experience and learning how hard it is and what a good angler actually looks like because there have always been anglers totally full of it.

I know I can tell if someone is full of shit just from the tiniest detail. Sounds messed up I know but it is true. There are a lot of things experienced anglers do. Subtle things. And first and foremost flapping their lips and bragging about fish is usually not one of them

20. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

tough. i had a grab. nada. got one yesterday. lost one this am.
    all believeable. or not.:)