How long to Lahontan Cutthroats live in Basin Lakes?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by robl, Mar 19, 2013.

1. robl

robl Member

Media:
    Been doing some searching online and haven't found any great data on longevity of Lahontan Cutts in Basin seep lakes.

I've read that Rainbows and Browns have much faster growth rates of course, but considerably shorter lifespans in the fertile seep lakes. Between harvest, predation, and natural death they say that the max lifespan is about 4 years tops for Rainbows and browns. Some people have discussed parasites and other plausible causes.

Anyone know how long the Lahontans live in Grimes and lake Lenore?

Been slow fishing at Lenore this spring I've heard.

2. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    Not sure what the answer is but I've heard 8 year old fish have been spawned from Lenore. The hatchery people could use some volunteers for spawning activities starting the end of the month. I do not have dates yet.

3. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Sounds to me like a question for the WDFW bios. Try your regional office.

4. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    If the bows and browns have access to moving water they should be able to live longer then four years.
    Lakes that have no inlets or outlets make it tough on them as mach spawning on the launch ramp gravel takes its toll.
    I agree with you that there are lots of variables that come into play regarding their lifespan.
    As far as the cutts go, it seems to me the fish have gotten smaller over the years. I can remember fishing Lenore a few years after the first plants and most the fish were large.
    Whatever info you find please post it up. I'd be interested to know what you find out.
    Thanks
    SF

5. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Well, if you search The Internet you'll find a lot of information in regards to the Lahontans but as you found.... not much in regards to the seep lakes. I was surprised to see the fish are native to SW Oregon... but in rivers, not lakes.

Most studies of Lahontans in lakes is done in Nevada... specifically Pyramid.

It seems there is a wide spread as to how long a Lahontan can live in a lake: 5- 14 years. So, baring any significant change at the seep lakes, most likely, they will live 5-14 years. I don't really see why the age limit would be that much different from one lake to another. Rivers, maybe. Lakes, I doubt it. If there are no other species of fish in the lake, you'd think the life span would be fairly consistent.

http://www.fws.gov/nevada/protected_species/fish/species/lct.html

6. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

Life span might be consistent when we have reasonable water temps...but some years we get such a spike in water temp that I imagine the die-off rate increased dramatically...a few years before Kahlotus lake dried up we had a huge die off of bass due to high water temps/low O2 in the water.