how many bobbins?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Mark Walker, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

curious to know how many bobbins you "casual" (not commercial) tiers have/use, and predominately what kind, ie. ceramic, etc. Brand is not neccesary.
    thanks!

2. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

I've got six on my table, and I use ceramic.

3. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

I have four ceramics and two non-ceramics that I rarely use.

Steve

4. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

i have 7. 5 are ceramic and 2 others kind which are for lead and 4 strand floss. mike w

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I have six of the metal retractable bobbins that my father in law gave me...can't remember the manufacturer. Something nordic I think. I also have a bunch of other ones. I don't think I have any ceramic, I use what I have or what you'll send me.

6. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

I have the one non-ceramic that came with my beginner's fly tying kit and have never seen a reason to upgrade or get more. One seems to do me just fine.
    -Ethan

7. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

5 all ceramic..

8. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

I have about a dozen , but only four of them get regular use . I use one for wire , another for floss , and I have two Nor-vise bobbins for thread as I`ll sometimes use two different color threads on a single fly .

9. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

I am new into fly tying about 2 months now and I was just thinking about this last night. I have 2 at the moment - one is the nor-vise bobbin and it's great now that I'm getting use to it. The other one is from my kit.

I would like to have a 3rd bobbin immediatly soon and that should do me for a whuile.

10. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

I've been tying for a while now, and I have one bobbin. Which begs the question, what are you using the other 4 or 5 for?

11. gigharborflyfisher

gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Geez I only have two sitting on my desk... never really needed any more than that, and rarely use both...

12. FT

FT Active Member

About 26 total.

16 of them are the S&M Bobbins I use for different colors of 6/0, 7/0, and 8/0 thread.

The others are Griffin Ceramics I use for flat-waxed nylon, Uni-Stretch, and Uni-Floss.

Having all these bobbins just makes life easier when tying because I don't have to change thread spools to change colors, I simply pick up another bobbin.

13. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Approx 6 or 8, a variety of brands, most but not all ceramic, most standard size with a few smaller for small Pearsall's spools. I use them for a wide variety of threads. I wrap all floss (silk) and wire by hand without a bobbin.

It definitely makes life easier than changing spools all the time.

TC

14. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

About a doz each with diffrent colors and sizes of thread.
    Most are not ceramic and one is the SM that I used to hate and almost a few years ago threw out but now love for heavier threads so I am glad I did not get rid of it.

15. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Two Nor-Bobbins and a bout 12 loaded spools for them, Two Wasatch bobbins for Pearsalls tying silk. All ceramic tubes.

16. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

6 tiemco ceramics

17. Adam Taylor

Adam Taylor Member

2 standard size Wasatch Bobbins and 2 no names that I use for wire...

too many bobbins equals clutter in my world.

18. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

:eek:

19. chattmr

chattmr has never caught a steelhead... (its sad, I know)

I've been tying for over 20 years, and I have only 3 (non-ceramic). One always has black uni-thread, another always has white uni-thread, and the last one I change out as needed. I concur with ctyazfan that too many = clutter, and I have never been able to justify buying a ceramic bobbin when my old ones work fine...

20. niner

niner New Member

I have quite a few, some get more use than others, but I also have one for wire, and two for different color chenille. I gotta tell you chenille on a bobbin is very nice. I have one ceramic and looking to get more since I believe one cannot have too many bobbins. If they start to clutter, but them in a drawer or something :)