How many do you have to your name?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Teenage Entomologist, Nov 26, 2013.

1. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

......the fly was a loser too.

Ive

2. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

I think it's more like 'have you thought up a new name that is "catchy" and no one else has beat you to it'
    Even if I was copying a fly it sure wouldn't look like the prototype. So - if I could think up a sweet name I may have a new pattern

Irafly likes this.
  3. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

I wonder if the fly is a true loser or just not fished enough - you know - when there are fish around:cool:

4. floydiology

floydiology board to the new

Fly tying is like music, there are only 8 notes but billions of combinations that are rarely ever repeated. Claiming to invent a fly is like claiming to invent music. You don't invent music, you become a composer of that music.

I have composed many original scores and performed many classics.I even have a few that have been been licensed by major fly manufactures.

5. FT

FT Active Member

I've composed a few dozen over the years. A few of my favorites are: LB Spey, Redwing Blackbird Spey, Night Dancer Shrimp, GB Shrimp, Skykomish Sunrise Shrimp, and Hot Pink & Orange GP. My favorite chum coho, and king fly the Fuschia Bunny Leech I 1st tied in 1991 was copied by someone else a few years later who then got one of the fly companies to tie it offshore and market it, of course he collected the royalties for it despite having copied it.

6. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

I think I've only tied a few just like the original pattern. I'm always "tweaking" it here or there.

If that counts as a "new pattern", then like Ira, hundreds +1. If you mean just completely new patterns, a few dozen maybe.

7. robl

robl Member

I've got a couple that I would call my own but they incorporate well established concepts and ideas . . . . So I can't totally claim them.

They sure catch fish though . . . . . .

8. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I've butchered so many flies in my lifetime that nobody else would claim them but me so I would have to say thousands.:)

9. Bob Newman

Bob Newman Member

It depends, are you looking to profit from these "discoveries" or hoping to have the one or several flies that no one else has that makes your day but they go fishless ? In that case several dozen patterns.