How many fly rods do you have?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by toddsbernina, Apr 2, 2006.

?

How fly rods do you own

Poll closed Apr 20, 2006.
  1. 1

8 vote(s)
    3.4%
  2. 2-4

64 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. 5-7

79 vote(s)
    34.1%
  4. 8-10

35 vote(s)
    15.1%
  5. 11+

46 vote(s)
    19.8%
  1. tyler

tyler Member

Media:
    wow! some impressive collections amongst the WFF. would expect nothing less. i've thinned the herd dramatically over the last few years -- from 20+ down to the current seven. they are:

3 weight -- orvis 7'6" superfine
    3 weight -- winston 8'6" b2x
    5 weight -- orvis 8' superfine
    5 weight -- winston 9' b2x
    6 weight -- winston 9'6" b2x
    8 weight -- sage 9' rplx
    10 weight -- sage 9' rplx

will aquire another 12 weight at some point. not much need for it these days.

t

2. Evan Casteel

Evan Casteel Small Stream Fanatic

Don't get me wrong... the FLi is a fine rod. However, it does lack tip sensitivity and is heavy in my opinion. It also is a bit bulky. Its action is good for nymphs and streamers but does not have the sensitivity for close in work.

Its hard to find the perfect rod... or one close.

Evan

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Allison,

No, you won't be a better angler if you get more rods. You'll be a better angler by studying the fishing you do, and by fishing more.

Many of my rods have little monetary value, especially the old glass ones. I've always enjoyed the tinkering, and built most of mine from blanks or refinishing old bamboo rods. I just finished a new Spey rod that I didn't need, even after I told myself that I wasn't going to make any more rods. But I hadn't built one for a couple years or so, and . . .

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

4. Porter

Porter Active Member

iagree: I found the Launch and Fli to be a little cumbersome and heavy too.

5. JE

JE Active Member

I have 13, a couple with broken tips I haven't sent in, one not completed. For the past 9 or 10 years, I have really only been using 2 rods. One is a 389 LL that I built from a discounted blem blank a while back. Another is a 586 RPL that was given to me for a song and dance by a proprietor of a fly shop in W. Yellowstone. I was working in the Park during summer break from college and had a close scrape with a Grizzly while hiking out of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. I had all 3 of my rods in a tube which I dropped after the big furry false charged me (did not have the guts to go back and look until a few weeks later and then they were gone). A day after the incident I went into the shop in West and told my story to the old timer working there and he took me into his back room and gave me the rod and tube for next to nothing, telling me that the rod had been his standby for a few years but sage had just sent him the new RPL+ and he would not be using it anymore. I was back in business and caught a 23 1/2 inch brown the next day on one of my favorite park streams-my biggest brown at the time with the rod. I have built and purchased a few "nicer" rods since then but that old RPL still seems to have the most mojo, so that is what I use when the 3 weight won't suffice. I hope you enjoyed the life story, I am procrastinating right now (jr high teacher on spring break) and am supposed to be cleaning the garage while my wife takes our boys to a birthday party. I better get down there.
    -JE

Oh, by the way, about a year after I lost those rods in Yellowstone, I got a call from a ranger at the Canyon Visitor Center who was going through the lost and found stuff turned in there. He saw the form I had filled out describing my lost item that matched the description of some rods that had been sitting around the office for a while. He sent them to me a couple of weeks later. Yes.

6. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    iagree

I had that same feeling about a Sage XP 4100-4 that I finally ended up selling to McRowdy a few years back.

In a weak moment, I fell for the Sage mystique again and bought a Launch 6wt last year. Compared with my lovely T&T Horizon 5wt, it's stiff and a bit tip heavy - not much good for short distance casting or finesse fishing. (And don't even start with the metallic baby-sh!t green color!)

BUT . . . once I get enough line out past the tip to properly load it, it's a rocket launcher.

K

7. Don Stracener

Don Stracener New Member

Media:
    2 pack rods 5W
    2 7' 5W
    2 9 1/2 6W
    1 7 1/2 5W (I made) St Croix blank
    1 9 1/2 8W

More this year.

8. RedFive

RedFive Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    2 weight through 12 single-handers, minus a 9 and an 11.

2 speys, a 5/6 and 6/7.

Brands include Sage, Loomis, Winston, Scott, St. Croix, Redington and even Orvis.

The list goes like this:

804-4 2 weight
    602-2 3 weight
    763-3 3 weight
    893-3 3 weight
    904-4 4 weight
    905-2 5 weight
    905-4 5 weight x 4
    706-2 6 weight
    906-2 6 weight
    906-3 6 weight
    1106-4 6 weight
    907-4 7 weight
    908-4 8 weight
    908-7 8 weight
    9010-4 10 weight
    9012-4 12 weight
    1205/6-4 5/6 Spey
    12606/7 6/7 Spey

21 total, working on #22. :D

9. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Back in the corner of the shop there is this stack of rods. Can't remember how many, over 11, and because I can't remember how many I don't know exactly what they all are. 7 or 8 of them are single handers and another 7 or 8 are 2 handers. I have my favorites for what ever type of fishing I do and those I grab out of the front of the stack usually with a spare in case of some unforseen accident or something.

I started the crappy thread because somewhere in that stack of rods is a 389LL I haven't had out of the tube for years and thought it was about time to use it again.

10. Charapa

Charapa New Member

;) too many:
    3wt - sage slt blank/homebuilt
    4wt - orvis battenekill 704 'boo.
    5wt - orvis t3 & Zg; sage xp; t&t helix; tfo ticr & few no-name blanks/homebuilts
    7wt - tfo ticr
    9wt - t3

& I like/appreciate them all....& keep looking for more....great 'illness' indeed ...(............should we talk about reels?):thumb:

11. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Media:
    The arsenal is slowly growing ...

3 wt - St Croix Avid (thanks to Mingo)
    5 wt - Pflueger
    5 wt - Orvis Silver Label
    5 wt - Loomis GL3 (thanks to Mingo)
    6 wt - Pflueger

'Mac

12. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

9wt. 9 foot sage vts for salmon/steelhead, though a spey is in the future..

6wt 9 foot sage fli..

4wt. winston bx2 9ft

Hey i'm just getting started but i think this covers about all i'm doing right now.

13. Allison

Allison Banned or Parked

Thanks Salmo. I actually have a 'glass rod too but it casts like crap, so I would not count that.

I'm seeing that the FF thing has a certain "collection" thing attached to it. I'm as vulnerable as the next person when it comes to that.

14. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Media:

It's really just an addiction more than anything, thinking more and more specialized equipment will catch more fish. It's not true but we just like to think we're cooler having more stuff.

15. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Four. An 8' glass Fenwick 6wt, two 9' graphite 2-pc 6wts, and a 9' graphite 2-pc 8wt. Need to get more.:hmmm:

16. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Yeah, Jim. You really need to add a 5 wt. to your collection for all those searun cutts you chase.

Sloan,

As addictions and bad habits go, one could do far worse than build or collect fly rods. They don't take up near the space as bicycles or antique cars.

17. CFO

CFO Member

Media:
    6’ #1 scott
    8’ #1 scott
    7’7” #2 scott
    9’ #5 scott

18. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Media:
    That's what I try to tell myself.

19. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    For those out there with those old glass rods that you do not use them, I will give you $10 each as long as they are not Eagle Claw or other junk and still in fishable shape;) ;) . I need a 3,4,8,10 and 12 weights to add to my collection of glass rods. Already have plenty of 5 and 6wt glass rods. Just think with that $10 you can go out and get some more beer.:beer2

20. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    i have quite a few different rods. Mostly sage, but a fenwick, orvis(bamboo) and st croix as well. I also have several angler's workshop blank built rods. Pretty well set up on larger rods, but i have broken a lot of my light rods and need to get them replaced. have my eye on an Xi2 6 wt

386-3 VPS LL
    486 slt
    490 anglers blank
    6wt ST Croix
    6126 sage
    790 xp
    790 slt
    890 slt
    890 slt
    890 slt
    890 xp
    8wt anglers blank