How many Salmon/Steelheaders are there out there?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jerry Daschofsky, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I was just curious, how many of you are there? I notice alot of guys are more trout fishermen. But I am exclusively salmon/steelhead fishing. I used to fly fish/conventional fish trout, but once I became old enough to drive, the world opened up and I was able to hit any river/stream I wanted that held the big boys.

Just curious who are the exclusive followers of Ike and his cousins the salmon.

You haven't lived until you've run a cataraft. Friends don't let friends run Outcasts.

2. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    I spend about 90% of my time fishing Steelhead and Salmon in the Sound and rivers. The other 10% I spend catching tress, shrubs and rocks :BIGSMILE

I really like the big fish, but the regs are confusing and I'm still new enough at it that I go through stretches without catching anything. It's sure worth it when it comes together.

3. rockfish

rockfish Member

I have not put much time in steelheading, only have caught maybe 5 ever, 3 from this year. busy fishing other things when not busy with girlfriend and work, thats why I think I fish the saltwater so much because its peaceful, quiet and always there. but trout I took my 3 year old out and get skunked 4 times fishin for trout.and finally had to resort to other fish. he can drop shot flounder with the best of them thou :WINK . kind of just jerks the rod and gives it great action, one day he'll be a salmon fisherman. why am I talkin about my kid? all in all saltwater salmon take over all my fishing when there around, when there not I just fly fish for them and hope they are around, but the cutties keep ya happy. after all catchin is just a bonus for me, being on the water with the sweet smell of the salt water and watchin all the life in the water is what I like.

any body been digging clams on these low tides? took my girlfriend out to a gouey duck spot and dug up a huge snail like creature that was a big as a cantelope.

4. fly15

fly15 New Member

I fly fish for steelhead and salmon about 10 to 15 percent of the time only because I am relativly new to fly fishing and am just getting serious about it. I would really like to get into fly fishing for steelhead and more salmon on the fly. I am just about to by my first real nice fly rod a 8 1/2 foot 7wt. sage with a scientific angler reel with a fly line already on it. The sage rod and scientific angler reel are about as new as a used rod can get and I am getting the whole set up for $150.00 dollars from a friend. I have only caught one steelie on fly so far a 23" inch hatchery buck out in a stream on the O.P. at 11:00 pm at night with a original glow in the dark fly I tie. I have only caught coho and chum salmon on fly so far and am looking forward to battling a chinook on fly. My biggest coho on fly was about 10 pounds and my biggest chum was about 16 pounds. I have caught a lot of kings on regular bait fishing gear out in the sound but not on a fly rod yet.

Anyone know where to send a begging steelhead chaser with his new 7wt sage when his dad has a week off durring the middle of july?

As for the low tides lately my dad, cousin and I went out on sunday and each caught are ling cod near point defiance and went on the -1.0 tide right after limmiting on the lings and got are limit on butter clams, dang those were good.

I would have rather been fly fishing but it was still a nice day on the water. :THUMBSUP

"LOVE'M AND LEAVE'M" C&R

fly15

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I might be old---but I'm good.

I guess that I like to fish for trout. I like to fish rivers and if there are Steelhead out there I'll be glad to hook one or two. I think that trout fishing is a challenge. You go up to some place that you've never been and you catch fish. Now,thats fun. I've hooked a few in the local rivers and had a good tussle. But I've yet to land any of good size yet. Biggest right now is a 21" clipped fin buck. Caught on my 4wt out of a small creek.

6. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Rockfish - I beleive what you guys dug up was a moon snail. I've actually tried one before when I was a kid, and it wasn't bad.

I'm about 50/50 trout and salmon\steelies. Just depends on what's running, who I'm with, how much time I have, and what mood i'm in.

Now that I live in N Bend, I'm 10 minutes from my favorite trout (river\stream) fishing holes, 10 minutes to a few of my favorite lakes, and I regularly hit the Snoqualmie around Fall City on my way to work in the morning. Nothing like a chrome steelie on the business end of you line first thing in the morning - works better than coffee for getting you through the day :BIGSMILE

When the silvers\chum are in, I make some time to hit the sky and the green.

-Chad

7. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

I fish a lot for steelhead on Puget Sound streams and have fished the Deschutes in Oregon a few times, but I have almost nothing to show for it. Haven't been doing this all that long, but I kind of feel I know enough to fish for the buggers after all the reading I've done, a class I took on flyfishing for steelhead and a decent amount of time on the water. However, it sure doesn't show up in the catch statistics. I may just be fishing in the wrong places or at the wrong times. I have caught fair numbers of trout while fishing for steelhead, but since that isn't all that much fun on an 8wt, I've sort of decided I need to decrease the time I'm on the water with that rod and increase the time I'm on the river with my 5 wt (and trout flies). I have never fished for salmon but am going to give it a whack in Alaska this summer. Am tempted to try for chums around here next fall. Given my choice, I'd rather fish for steelhead, but let's face it, if you want to pick up a fish every once in a while you have to fish for trout.

8. Rxfisher

Rxfisher New Member

I primarily flyfish for salmon and steelhead in fresh water. But with the North Sound rivers closed last year and only the Skagit/Sauk open this year, I spent more time flyfishing for trout. But with the summer run steelhead starting to show I will be spending most of my time this summer and fall in pursuit of steelhead and salmon. Steve

9. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I fish for steelhead with a two handed rod. That's what I do. But, I will not limit my fun. So, I fish for trout with a one hander. I fish for searun with a single hander also. I fish for crappy with a one wieght. I am going to try some salt water fishing with the bug rod. Gotta be some fun there too. I am working on a trip for bones. Peacock bass look like fun. What is that thing they got in Africa. Big toothy looking thing. Might have to go catch one of those. I love to fly fish. I don't care what hooks on the other end.

10. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I live here in N.Tacoma so Steelhead is sorta limited within an hour or two drive. I don't own a boat so getting to the good spots on foot to rivers is nearly impossible. I normall fish 95% of the time in my float tube at most lakes within an 1 1/2 hr drive, unless I make a day trip out to eastern fly lakes once or twice a year. My new obsession though is trying to catch a Steelhead on a fly let alone on a spinning rod even worse. Steelhead to me is soooo hard to catch. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
    Any river suggestions within a 2 hr drive from Tacoma? Don't even say the Green River near Kent, I got my car broke into there. There are a lotta trash people and homeless people that live around there.

11. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hey skiecries, I live in NE Tacoma. You have TONS of rivers within 2 hours of you to fish. I won't go into specifics, but you have the Puyallup system, the Chehalis system, Green of course lol, Skagit/Sauk/Stilly, Columbia/tribs. The list goes on and on. I have a jet sled and a cataraft, but I do alot of bank fishing also. At most of these rivers there are quite a few places for a bank fishermen to walk into and fish. Some you have to work at to get, but still have access. I only fish salmon/steelhead. Will be hitting the Zoo this weekend (aka Cowlitz) on a group river run. It's barely 1 1/2 hours from Tacoma. So, grab a Washington Gazateer and start hitting rivers.

You haven't lived until you've run a cataraft. Friends don't let friends run Outcasts.

12. Joe

Joe Member

I bought an Outcast recently, and I love it. I'm getting tired of commercials.

Joe

13. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    What commercials are you talking about? Or would you happen to be talking about my signature?

14. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

I catch them sometimes (14 one year) but usually it is incidental to fishing for anything that will take a fly which is probably why I have caught quite a few on beadhead nymphs or small woolly buggers.
    Randy

15. saltchuck

saltchuck New Member

I target salmon 70% of the time, primarily from July through October. I focus on trout the other 30% of the time and 100% of the time from November through June.

Hard to beat catching fresh ocean run silvers or chums (and pinks in odd years)in the salt, especially when there are plenty of areas where you can have the place to yourself.

16. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    By no way am I exclusively a salmon/steelheader, but up here that's what gets me excited. I will basically fly fish for whatever will hit my fly. I grew up learning to fly fish for steelhead almost exclusively, so that remains where the passion is.

Rob

17. troutman101

troutman101 Member

Media:
    By no means am I a purist but I am a steelheader. I tie Spey flies and old stlyed hairwing flies and fish them and catch fish. I really enjut the simplicity of trout tackle so I do that as well. I feel like Steelhead are the ultimate gamefish but then I think about Reider. I walk the shores sometimes and fill a garbage bag with styrafoam containers and fishing line and realize that we have a problem.

I love Spey casting and spending lots of money and time on one fly but I hate the fact that we have to share the water with baitfishermen. My current fishing buddy puts power bait on his fly sometimes to get rid of the human scent and he keeps his fish regularly so I can't try to act like I hate those types of people. I just don't like the reputation that bait steelheaders have. They also seem to endorse the hatchery program. This is why I don't fish exclusively steelhead. I know of wild strains that hold in waters that are devoid of bait slingers but the waters are far and few in this state. I float many of the peninsula streams in hopes to catch one of the beautiful native and wild specimens and in the meantime, I fish the Yak and Snoqualmie Drainage Systems. I also spend 30 or more days in other areas of the west in persuit of big trout weither it be trout or steelhead.

Whew!

Next time, try the Purple King. They like purple!

18. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yeah, I know what you mean about bait guys. For I am one. But I wouldn't say they all, or even majority, want a hatchery program. We want a big native brute like the rest do. And like any group, there's always the bad ones who ruin it for everyone (ie styrafoam tubs and such). Just like there are fly fishermen who give that holier then thou look and ruins it for other fly guys.

Well, it's nice to see more out there. I guess technically I'm not 100% salmon/steelhead. I do like to hit cutties in the salt. But that's another story. But I can hit salmon/steelhead almost all year, so I prefer to hit them first.

Steelheader69
    "You haven't lived until you've run a cataraft. Friends don't let friends run Outcasts."

19. mtp1032

mtp1032 New Member

Given the choice between fishing for Steelhead and fishing for steely-wannabes, I'll take Steelhead every time. Nevertheless, I've lost a lot of flies on all of the Snolqualmie forks, the Yakima, Rock Creek, etc. Fishing is an end in itself.

In the salt I chase the herring-balls and fly-fish for coho. I love to mooch for Kings, the most magnificent of all fish.

Is this a great country or what? At any time of the year I can find an anadromous fishery within a couple of hours of my home (Sammamish).

Cheers,

Michael